• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rudy's 2900

banco

Has anyone been there? I've heard it's one of the best places in the region, but see no mention of it by fellow egulleteers or on other sites. Can it be?

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

Has anyone been there? I've heard it's one of the best places in the region, but see no mention of it by fellow egulleteers or on other sites. Can it be?

It's interesting you would mention this. I was just thinking about this (out of the blue) a few days ago. When I was in culinary school (during the mid-80s), I used to help out with a lot of chef gala dinner events here in MD. Some of the bigger ones used to have some of the chefs from the US Culinary Olympic team. Rudy Speckamp was by far the most respected one of the group. EVERYONE (even the other chefs) would crowd around him to see what he was creating. I always remembered his place, but have never been. Infact, I was going to ask Mark S. if he knew anything about it or what happened to it. I just found the website. I might need to make a special trip out there.

Anyone been or heard anything about it?

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

I recently heard some brutally ugly things about this place from a reliable source. Said things involved instant mashed potatoes. I've never been there but I would proceed with caution. Sorry to say that it may no longer be expedition worthy.

I used to live in Reisterstown, about 10 minutes south of Rudy's and have known Rudy Paul (GM/Maitre d') and Rudy Speckamp for ten years.

Rudy Speckamp is a talented culinarian, and I would seriously doubt he put instant mashed potatoes in anything. However, this restaurant is quite a throwback and probably not for everyone. The menu is classical French, as in, pulled straight out of Escoffier. I believe his clientele is on the decline, as he average age of the patrons last time I dined there was, no hyperbole, 80.

The dining room is a bit dated and is an assault of pale salmon and seafoam green hues that can be a bit unnerving.

Is it worth a road trip? Maybe for one of the chef's special seasonal dinners. The fact that it has been around for 25+years is a testament to both Rudy's skill, grace, and professionalism.