• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braising: Le Creuset v All-Clad v Staub v Others

Blondelle

To give an idea of the prices, for the 1.5 quart (with lid) D5 being discussed above:

List price: $ 190

Cookwarenmore.com Irregular price $ 91.99 (this is a special)

Irregulars that are not considered specials are an additional 20% off during the sale with the promo code on the website.

Jayne

What I discovered while searching for a deal is that many places have specials that bring the price down to the same level as mentioned above. Cutlery and More (which I think may have some relationship to Cookware and More) and Metro Kitchen both had prices ever-so-slightly-lower than the above price, but for first quality items. I purchased my 1.5 quart D5 at Cutlery and More.

It seems that it's not too difficult to get a good deal on All-Clad. BTW, some of the places that offer such deals also offer free shipping. In my case I paid no shipping charges and no tax.

... Shel

This will sound funny but even Williams Sonoma will have specials that are advertised or not advertised for All Clad. I bought a 3 quart All Clad d5 saute pan with lid for 120 dollars on Williams-sonoma.com. It wasn't being advertised or anything, I just was looking around and selected it and there it was. Didn't even say the original price or anything. The only reason I know that it was on sale was because a few weeks earlier I looked at it and it was (and still is) 265 dollars. It was around Christmas so that is probably why it was marked down, but they weren't advertising it and I just got lucky.

I also just bought the All Clad d5 12 inch non-stick fry pan with lid. I have been wanting a larger nonstick fry pan for fish and eggs as the one I have is just too small for the fish I've been trying to cook. This was an advertised sale that just ended and I got it with the lid for 100 dollars. It originally was/is 260 dollars. I bought that in store. The sale is apparently still going online and the 12 inch is going for 130 dollars.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-d5-stainless-steel-nonstick-covered-fry-pan/?cm_src=AutoRel

Anyway, I'm not saying I shop at Williams Sonoma often because you usually can't ever get a good deal, but from time to time they have a few steals.

Edited by Robenco15 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 2 quart all clad D5 saucepan (1.5qt is too small for anything I need, but you must have uses for a 1.5qt). I have made mornay sauces and ice cream bases in it countless number of times, among other things, and have never burned milk or cream. It is thick and heavy so I find it doesn't heat up lightning quick, but it evenly heats up and holds temperatures extremely well. It also responds to temperature changes quick.

I use that saucepan almost daily and it is just incredible. If I'm just boiling water I don't reach for it first as I don't mind using a cheaper saucepan I have and just putting it over high heat. I try to not put my All Clad pans over high heat ever. The most I do is 1 or 1 and a half notches below the highest setting when I need to bring a cold liquid to a boil, but don't want to burn it (like milk and heavy cream). I also have the D5 10 inch fry pan and D5 3 qt saute pan and they are all fantastic. If I haven't committed myself to wanting to buy copper pans next for myself I would have started acquiring more of the D5 line. They are all solidly built, heavy, sturdy, and heat evenly and quickly and I never, ever have to use anything close to high heat for the saute or fry pan.

I've been using the D5 for a couple of weeks now, and I love it. What you say above has been my experience as well. Two nights ago I made an impromptu vegetable soup, and put the pan on the electric burner just one scosh above the lowest setting. The pan, as you suggest, took a while to heat up, but also as you said, it held the heat beautifully. I experimented, and cooked the soup for 30 minutes without stirring. There was no sticking, the soup maintained a nice, even simmer, and the pan cleaned up quickly and easily - just a wipe with the sponge and a little detergent did the trick.

I'm thinking of getting the 10-inch skillet. If it cooks anything like this saucepan, I'll be in heaven. If I didn't already have a 12-inch All-Clad, I'd consider that size as well. My 12-inch is an early Ltd version - I must have gotten it on sale somewhere - and my old housekeeper ran that puppy through the dishwasher. The result was that the shiny black outer coating washed off. The skillet cooks OK, but looks like crap. Maybe it, too, should be replaced, Maybe I like the D5 so much that I'm looking for reasons (excuses) to buy more.

• Like 1

... Shel

I love my 2 quart all clad D5 saucepan (1.5qt is too small for anything I need, but you must have uses for a 1.5qt). I have made mornay sauces and ice cream bases in it countless number of times, among other things, and have never burned milk or cream. It is thick and heavy so I find it doesn't heat up lightning quick, but it evenly heats up and holds temperatures extremely well. It also responds to temperature changes quick.

I use that saucepan almost daily and it is just incredible. If I'm just boiling water I don't reach for it first as I don't mind using a cheaper saucepan I have and just putting it over high heat. I try to not put my All Clad pans over high heat ever. The most I do is 1 or 1 and a half notches below the highest setting when I need to bring a cold liquid to a boil, but don't want to burn it (like milk and heavy cream). I also have the D5 10 inch fry pan and D5 3 qt saute pan and they are all fantastic. If I haven't committed myself to wanting to buy copper pans next for myself I would have started acquiring more of the D5 line. They are all solidly built, heavy, sturdy, and heat evenly and quickly and I never, ever have to use anything close to high heat for the saute or fry pan.

I've been using the D5 for a couple of weeks now, and I love it. What you say above has been my experience as well. Two nights ago I made an impromptu vegetable soup, and put the pan on the electric burner just one scosh above the lowest setting. The pan, as you suggest, took a while to heat up, but also as you said, it held the heat beautifully. I experimented, and cooked the soup for 30 minutes without stirring. There was no sticking, the soup maintained a nice, even simmer, and the pan cleaned up quickly and easily - just a wipe with the sponge and a little detergent did the trick.

I'm thinking of getting the 10-inch skillet. If it cooks anything like this saucepan, I'll be in heaven. If I didn't already have a 12-inch All-Clad, I'd consider that size as well. My 12-inch is an early Ltd version - I must have gotten it on sale somewhere - and my old housekeeper ran that puppy through the dishwasher. The result was that the shiny black outer coating washed off. The skillet cooks OK, but looks like crap. Maybe it, too, should be replaced, Maybe I like the D5 so much that I'm looking for reasons (excuses) to buy more.

So glad I could help and you love the saucepan!

I have a 10 inch d5 SS skillet (stainless steel interior, not non-stick) and I love that too. However, while it is 10 inches total, the actual flat surface area is probably around 9 inches (I don't have it in front of me as I am not at home, but I think others comment on Amazon with actual measurements). I have a d5 3 qt skillet too which has around an 11 inch diameter so I never really have a problem the 10 inch since I can just use the saute pan if a job is too big.

The 10 inch fits my electric coils perfectly. My saute pan though is larger than my coils. That isn't a problem as long as I make sure I give it time to pre-heat all the way through. Obviously the part directly above the electric coils heats up a little quicker than the bottom of the pan that hangs over the coils.

In terms of performace of the 10 inch, it is fantastic. It is heavy and it evenly sears everything. As it is heavy and has those 5 layers, if I am searing something at a level of 6 (out of 10, 6 being the absolute hottest I ever go, and only use that to sear meats) and then want to make a pan sauce with red wine, I turn it down to 4 as 6 can be too hot and it separates the wine (I'm no expert at making wine reductions fyi). When I turn the burner down to 4, I also tend to give the pan a little time to change temperature since firstly, the coil has to adjust (obviously changes slower than a flame), and then the pan has to adjust. I guess I'm saying it doesn't react to temperature changes instantly (I guess only copper would anyway?), but more times than not, that is neglible as I've never ruined anything because of the pan (aka, it's always my fault). While I am no expert in making thick, wine based pan sauces like a bordelaise, I've made dozens using the 10 inch d5 and have had wonderful results. You learn how to use it with your stovetop and then you know what to do with it. If a pan sauce is boiling away and I need it to get to a simmer it has no problem doing it. If I need to get it to do it quickly, I can just lift the pan off and hold it while the coil adjusts to the lower temperature. As soon as the pan is off the heat it begins to lose its boil and then I put it back on the adjusted coil and get my simmer.

The only concern I guess is 10 inch vs. 12 inch. With the 10 inch you could comfortably sear 4 to 5 U10 scallops without them steaming eachother. 6 could probably fit, but it would be tight. That is it though. I sear steaks one at a time, unless they are filets, then I can usually fit them. When I made croque madames and toast two slices of bread at one time, I use it, but the sides of the toast run up a little on the side of the fry pan, but because it evenly heats so perfectly all over, it still works perfectly.

The next fry pan I buy will definitely be a 12 inch fry pan as it is definitely something I want, but don't need currently. I just purchased the d5 12 inch non-stick fry pan as I've found that some cuts of fish I buy are a little too large for the 10 inch and the edges of the fish run up the side of the fry pan (like the toast), but because it is fish it sticks and tears. I purchased the 12 inch specifically because I knew the 10 inch would be too small. I like having a 10 inch skillet now as it works for me, but the 8 inch non stick (not all clad) I have was getting very limiting. I haven't used the 12 inch d5 non stick yet though so no reviews.

Let me know if you have any other questions and hope this helped!

Edited by Robenco15 (log)
  • Like 1