• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strawberry cake recipe?

techno foodie

I have the Ultimate Strawberry Butter Cake Recipe Variation that Berta invented, if you wish to try it: http://www.baking911.com/recipes/cakes/but..._variations.htm

Thanks, Sarah!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Maybe we should put RodneyCK on the case (see his impressive "Extremely Orange, Orange Muffins, On the hunt.." posts). :wink::laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Have you thoguht about trying the blueberry cake with teh white chocolate cream cheese frosting that was in Bon Apetite 2000 - and substiting strawberries for the blueberries - I have made this several times and love the texture as well as the way the blueberries end up at the bottom so when you stack the cake and slice - looks great - and the white chocolatte frosting would enhance the strawberries as much as it does the blueberries.....

Caroline923, have your tried this? I find that because there is such a difference in the amount of water contained in blueberries and strawberries, that substituting strawberries usually adds too much liquid to many baked goods. So I tend to substitute raspberries for blueberries in recipes, but rarely strawberries. Of course it would depend on the particular batter as to whether or not it can handle the extra liquid.

1.0 cup, strawberry halves has 138.24g of water.

1.0 cup of blueberries has 122.10g of water.

1.0 cup raspberries has 105.47g of water

Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Yep, Squirrelly Cakes is correct!

You can also try making my Frosted Fresh Cherry Layer Cake Recipe and using strawberries, instead. http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1360.html But, there's no need to adjust the water content of my recipe or anything else; I developed it (tolerances in the recipe) to handle different types of fruit. Canned and drained pineapple is delicious, too!

But, I have found baking strawberries into a recipe never really turn out that well or impart a vibrant flavor, except for Caroline923's great tips or if I use strawberry puree (I can't think of the other type--it's like puree), strawberry jam or syrup. (And, no thank you to Kool-Aid as a flavoring aid!)

There's also strawberry flavored oil (whic is vibrant) http://www.lorannoils.com/Products.asp?Cat...Name=Flavorings , too, as well as extract, which I don't like as much as the oil. (As with all flavored candy oil, use a small amount. I start with 1/4 teaspoon per recipe.)

If you use whole strawberries, there's no need to toss the berries in flour for my recipe because the batter is thick enough to suspend them and they won't sink to the bottom. (Is that why you do that Caroline923 or is there another reason for coating in flour? Does the flour coating help them bake better in some way?)

Edited to add: But, I tend to agree with Patrick S. that its hard to make an excellent fresh strawberry cake. But, try my Ultimate Strawberry Butter Cake Recipe Variation that I posted a few posts up in this thread and see what you think.

Edited by Sarah Phillips (log)

Happy Baking! Sarah Phillips, President and Founder, http://www.baking911.com

I've been following this thread with interest, although I've never made a strawberry cake so I dont have a recipe to offer, but I did just buy some dried strawberries which smell and taste fantastic. They should be good in a cake, shouldn't they? The wateriness of fresh strawbs would not be an issue.

Any ideas as to how I might use these in a cake, other than just tossing them into the batter as if they were raisins?

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Due to an allergy, I haven't been able to eat strawberries for some time so though I will bake a strawberry cake, I have to go by scent, texture and other people's taste comments.

But I have never really found that strawberries impart that strong berry taste to a cake, once they are cooked. I think they work better when served fresh, in a coulis or sliced as a fresh filling.

Mind you, my late mother-in-law used to toss a handfull or two of fresh sliced berries into an ordinary buttercake, once the batter was in the pan, test it every so often with a knife inserted and she managed to always achieve great success.

I have thought of using the dried berries too, if you do try that "The Old Foodie", please post your results.

Lots of great suggestions for trial cakes here!

Hugs Squirrelly Cakes