• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strawberry cake recipe?

techno foodie

Since it is strawberry season, how about a genoise or pound cake with vanilla buttercream and sliced strawberrys?

A good suggestion, but I think the OP is referring to a cake that is actually made from strawberries.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I didn't care much for the CI cake overall. The strawberry syrup with kirsch was good, as was the cream cheese whipped cream. But I didnt like the sponge itself cake very much.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I didn't care much for the CI cake overall. The strawberry syrup with kirsch was good, as was the cream cheese whipped cream. But I didnt like the sponge itself cake very much.

Oh, too bad. All my tasters thought the cake part was delicious - light, not too sweet and a perfect foil for the cream and berries.

Chacun son gout.

I've tried the recipe that uses strawberry "Jell-O" only that I used one that contains no gelatin (because I am a Muslim) and the cake turned rubbery and dense like a rubber tire and did not rise at all.

hello, have anyone here ever tried the strawberry cake from wegmans? i was just wondering what your thoughts are about the cake. I thought and most of my coworkers also thought it was really good.

what recommendation do you have for the cake itself? im thinking id like to try the CI cake, keep the filling and topping, but use another cake.

I like using freeze dried strawberries quite a bit. They have an intense flavor and uysually work well to get the bits of berry throughout. I buy mine from Honeyville.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=600

I'm definitely going to try this. I've tried reducing strawberry puree to make the flavor more intense, but the cooking alters the flavor for the worse. I also tried Boyajian strawberry flavoring, and that just didnt taste right at all. So I'm thinking freeze dried berries might give the added intensity while preserving the flavor of fresh berries.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 3 weeks later...

I bastardised Patrick S' favourite recipe(more out of necessity than anything else!).

i) I couldn't find frozen strawberries and weren't sure if the strawberries were flavourful enough so I bought a packet of Coolbest fresh strawberry orange juice (very very fresh-strawberrylike taste). I added 80-100mls of this into the puree (which I had to mash by hand because I couldn't find the food processor blade). I didn't add lemon juice into the puree because I figured the orange in the juice would do!

ii) I'd already gone to the supermarket twice (forgot the jello the first time) so when I realised I only had half the amount of creme fraiche needed, I was too lazy to go again.

iii) I couldn't find cake flour (Dutch supermarkets have very limited range of everything) so I used self-raising flour.

iv) I also couldn't find baking soda so I substituted it with baking powder (1 t-spoon as I figured the flour would have some in it too).

v) Only used 4-5 grinds (from the salt grinder) of salt because someone told me to use a lot less salt when using baking powder.

Result:

A very dense cake like Patrick described and very flavourful. I wanted to take pictures but my boyfriend borrowed my camera. I took some with my mobile phone but I don't have a cable for that either;)

So there you are, the very first cake I EVER made from scratch (made Betty Crocker mixes twice before!) and Patrick's recipe got that honour:P

Edited to add: I thought the flavour was too intense for my liking and have decided that I would prefer a chiffon sort of cake next time.

Edited by yunnermeier (log)

• 1 month later...

I want to make a strawberry cake, and since I had a hard drive loss a few weeks ago, no longer have my grandmother's recipe. I've looked everywhere, and can't find a single recipe that doesn't include a) a boxed cake mix, and b) a package of jell-o! What's up with this? I KNOW my grandma never used either, so I can't imagine that it is impossible to make a cake with frozen homegrown strawberries (which is what I have.) Can anyone help?

Barring this, does anyone have an interesting idea for a dessert using 2 quarts of unsweetened, now-thawed strawberries?

Here is one such non-gelatin strawberry cake recipe ... can't one make a puree of the berries and sieve til the fresh juice comes out and then soak the layer in some of that, using a toothpick to let it drip into the cake? :smile:

yet another cake recipe using the "real things" .. :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I have made this one strawberry pound cake several times

In fact, I use it for a "Neopolitan" cake construct with a chocolate and white cake. I bake it in an extra long loaf pan.

From scratch, no jello.

This is another one I have tried and liked very much. I did not bake it in layers, I used a 1/2 sheet pan. It is quite rich.

Strawberry and Cream cake

I also have a recipe for a strawberry chiffon cake but it is on a recipe card at home.

I think I originally got the recipe off a box of Softasilk cake flour.

You do have to cook the strawberries, strain out the seeds then cook it until it is thick syrup and drizzle it slowly into the beaten egg whites, alternating with sprinkling the cake flour onto the mixture.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you both! I had run into the crunch cake and that brioche in my search, and saved them for another time, but didn't manage to find the one from AR... that is <i>exactly</i> what I wanted... just a straight-forward strawberry cake.

And you know, my grandmother used to do the very thing you mentioned... she would soak the berries in sugar, though, then drain them and poke holes in her finished cake layers and fill 'em with it!

I appreciate it!

Didn't check the other suggestions but I make an angel food cake from scratch. Then:

The Glaze and Filling

While the cake is baking, make the strawberry glaze. Assemble 8 oz. frozen strawberries, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1 Tbs. lemon juice and 1 Tbs. cornstarch.

Combine the sugar, water, lemon juice and strawberries in a saucepan. I sliced the berries into about three pieces each. Stir to dissolve the sugar into the liquid while bringing it up to a boil.>

Once the mixture begins to boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about ten minutes.

Remove from then heat and strain the liquid from the strawberries. Press on the solids to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set aside the strawberries and return the liquid to the pan.

Bring the liquid back up to a simmer. Whisk 3 tablespoons of water into the cornstarch and then pour it into the simmering liquid.

Increase heat and whisk until the glaze comes to boil. Continue to whisk while the glaze boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Pour into a bowl and set aside to cool. Once the glaze has cooled down, place it in the refrigerator to chill.

Cut a one inch torte off the top of the angel food cake. Take a spoon and make a small shallow tunnel about one half inch down in the centre being careful to leave at least an inch on either side of the tunnel and underneath to the bottom of the cake so the berries won't soak through. I replaced the bits of angel food cake I dug out and replaced them over the berries.

Place the reserved strawberry solids into the furrow. Re-place top layer of cake over top.

Using a pastry brush or spatula, coat the outside of the cake with a layer of strawberry glaze - it will be thick and fairly gel like consistency.

Iced with Wilton Stablized Whipping Cream Recipe

I double this recipe for this cake.

Recipe Box

Stabilized Whipped Cream Icing

Ingredients:

1/2 pint (1 cup) heavy whipping cream

2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

2 tablespoons Wilton Piping Gel

1/2 teaspoon Wilton Clear Vanilla

Combine whipping cream and sugar in mixing bowl. Whip to soft peak stage. Add piping gel and vanilla, then continue to whip stiff peaks. Do not overbeat.

YIELD: 1 1/2 to 2 cups.

I dip toasted almond slices in melted chocolate and make borders with them around the cake. Refrigerate until serving and shortly thereafter.

Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

I want to make a strawberry cake, and since I had a hard drive loss a few weeks ago, no longer have my grandmother's recipe.  I've looked everywhere, and can't find a single recipe that doesn't include a) a boxed cake mix, and b) a package of jell-o!  What's up with this?  I KNOW my grandma never used either, so I can't imagine that it is impossible to make a cake with frozen homegrown strawberries (which is what I have.)  Can anyone help?

Barring this, does anyone have an interesting idea for a dessert using 2 quarts of unsweetened, now-thawed strawberries?

about a year back, i was on the hunt for the "perfect" strawberry cake...i never found it. :sad: i did try the cake from AR and had trouble with it, if you try it and have sucess, please come back and let us know! :biggrin:

also, i know kris had posted awhile back that there is a recipe for strawberry cake in Wilton's yearbook, i've been meaning to try it but have to track it down first. good luck!

Here is the previous discussion:

"Strawberry cake recipe?, (merged topics)"

Note that while some of the recipes in the previous discussion did include some sort of strawberry jello/gelatin, many did not.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've never found a recipe that I loved. One that I thought was pretty good has turned out badly the last several times I ve made it. I've tried fresh strawberries, frozen strawberries, Boyjian strawberry flavoring, and highly-reduced puree, and nothing gave me the pronounced flavor I wanted. The best solution IMHO I is using a white cake with macerated strawberries and reducing the liquid from the macerated strawberries with some Kirsch, ala CI's strawberry cream cake.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I wound up going with a basic sour cream cake recipe, but altering it a bit. I pureed the strawberries until they were basically liquid, then used them in place of most of the water.

The texture of the cake, which I was worried about, was perfect. The taste was very good, but as Patrick commented, I was surprised that it didn't have more strawberry flavor. (The puree itself was very strawberry-y.) I made a very plain icing with more puree mixed in, and I was glad I'd used plenty of it, because that kinda upped the berry quotient and made it more tasty.

The biggest disappointment was the color of the cake, which was a sort of purplish-gray! Again, I think the icing saved it, as that, at least, was pretty. All in all, it certainly got gobbled, but it was nothing I was particularly proud of. I guess I'll have to fiddle around some more, and I think that for the next batch I play with, I'll try something other than cake.