• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauce to go with steak tonight?

Charlene Leonard

A red wine reduction, perhaps? If you're feeling flush, how bout a bernaise? It could depend on what else are you serving with these lovely sirloins - that would help us narrow down the choices.

Grilled tomatoes, smashed, pureed, strained. Extra virgin olive oil, ancho powder, fresh basil, dash of good balsamic vinegar. Quick catsup. Other than grilling, takes about three minutes.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

For saucing pan-seared steaks, nothing beats a good old marchand du vin.

Jinmyo's suggestion sounds great for grilled steaks.  Guilty secret: I've been using Muir Glen's fire-roasted tomatoes for sauces.  I think Muir Glen tastes fresher than any other canned brand (or Pomi), and the hint of woodsmoke is a nice fillip.

Liza, sure. But it takes a long time to caramelize on onion. At least an hour. You can grill a tomato in 5 to 7 minutes.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Liza, sure. But it takes a long time to caramelize on onion. At least an hour.

nah.  you can get some decent enough sweetness out of an onion in less than an hour, cancha?

if frying/broiling these steaks, a quick red wine, broth, butter, thyme thing would do the trick for me.  but i love all these suggestions and might try some myself!

tommy, an onion caramelizes at low heat, burns at high. Granted, my standard for caramelizing onions comes from preparing them as a base for curries. But still, one starts at high, lowers the temperature, and just leaves themn in the pan to melt.

Have just cooked delish onglet a l'echalotte.

See restaurant point of onglet (=hanger/skirt), you have to serve it so thin for tenderness that it costs v. little.

Probably slightly too aggressive taste for sirloin where a fuller flavour would be wanted.

Wilma squawks no more

tommy, an onion caramelizes at low heat, burns at high. Granted, my standard for caramelizing onions comes from preparing them as a base for curries. But still, one starts at high, lowers the temperature, and just leaves themn in the pan to melt.

i'm well aware how how to cook an onion.

i'm just saying that in a pinch, you can get some soft, sweet tasting onions that are just fine to get with steak in under an hour!  throw some worchester on them towards the end and you'l *really* get some flavor.  jeesh, everyone is so danged serious around here.   :raz:  :wow:  :wink:  :smile:  :sad:  :biggrin:  :confused:  :angry:  :wow:

i'm well aware how how to cook an onion.

:wow:  :wink:

Speaking of tomatoes, we've been getting early hydroponic tomatoes which aren't great raw, but which liven up the joint with roasting. Simply preheat to 400, bung them in a pot with salt and pepper, and any fresh herb on hand, and in twenty minutes, they're like tomato candy.

And Tommy? I never doubted you for a minute.