• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alabama help needed

chrish1

• 3 weeks later...

Chuck's Bar-B-Que in Opelika is liked by John T. Edge in his book, "Southern Belly." He also recommends Chris' Hot Dogs and Martin's, both in Montgomery and the Hotel Talisi in Tallassee. If they're good enough for John T, they're worth doing a Google search for their precise locations! Have fun, and report back, please.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

The Barbecue House in Auburn is good. It is on South College St, if I recall correctly. And as for Greenville, The Smokehouse is good. It is off of I-65. A person in the General Food Topics has been raving about the slaw at The Smokehouse. I can attest to that.

Bear in mind that many Alabama barbecue places do not serve beer even if the town is wet. In fact, many of the best places are in dry towns or counties.

And now for my dinner tonight, which is some barbecue from Lawler's in Athens. Good stuff, especially when served on a hamburger bun with some hot sauce, dill pickle, and slaw heaped on top. You may know this, but in Alabama when someone says they want some "barbecue" they are talking about slow smoked pulled pork butt. So when you go to a barbecue stand, just say "I want a pound of barbecue" or "gimme two barbecue sandwiches". They'll know what you mean.

Dave in Alabama

Dave

Thanks for the helpful info, guys. No beer with bbq? DRY towns and counties? I assume Auburn/Opelika is not dry since the U is there but what about Greenville? I would hate to not be able to find a cold one after toiling on the links all day.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the helpful info, guys. No beer with bbq? DRY towns and counties? I assume Auburn/Opelika is not dry since the U is there but what about Greenville? I would hate to not be able to find a cold one after toiling on the links all day.

Barbecue House in Auburn- Pork and Chicken only. Pit cooked over oak logs. Sanwiches finished in an old electric press. Mustard based sauce. Get the barbecue slaw. Trust me !

Byron's SmokeHouse in Auburn-Pork, Chicken and Ribs. Ribs and Chicken always good. Sometimes the first of the pork plates tastes like yesterdays butts warmed over, but by mid lunch that mornings batch is coming off the pit. Hickory and oak mix. Sauce is a sweeter red sauce. Sides are average, but the locals just grab a bag of chips and dive into the chicken and ribs.

Country's Barbecue in Auburn. Full menu, including fresh ground hamburger steaks and fried chicken. Country's is a small regional chain, but they turn out some pretty good 'cue. Huge pit, oak and other hardwood mix. Mustard based sauces, three bottles per table...the lighter in color the hotter. Pork, Chicken, Ribs and Brisket. Brisket may be the weak link, but this is Alabama ! Best side dishes in town. Fresh cut fries are great. For dessert, You gotta have their homemade Goober pie. And yes, Country's serves beer, served with a Mason jar mug.

Hope one of these places suits you. Enjoy your visit to the "lovliest village."

• 3 weeks later...

Well, back from a fun, albeit rainy, trip. As it turns out we didn't eat at any of the recommended restaurants :huh: We hit Mike and Ed's Barbecue in Auburn and Old Mexico in Greenville. I can endorse both restaurants as worth a visit.

• 8 years later...