• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pan

Not drinking wine with dinner?

3 posts in this topic

I'm curious to know if there are certain cuisines or dishes that you generally prefer to drink something other than wine with. I often find good chrysanthemum or jasmine tea the perfect accompaniment for Chinese food, enjoy Indian food with lassi or masala chai, and don't miss alcohol while having Yemeni spiced tea with a meal at Yemen Cafe on Atlantic Av. But then I'm only an occasional wine drinker.

Pan,

To be perfectly honest, I can't think of any cuisine that I would rather not enjoy with wine or beer. Yes, I like lassi with Indian food, but I also like a good riesling or beer. I found an Italian sauvignon blanc to be an excellent match with a cantonese seafood dinner. This is not to say that I would enjoy the meal with tea. Down south, I've had plenty of good meals with iced tea. But my preference would be for wine or beer.

one more thought....Kim Severson recently did a piece in the NYT about non-alcoholic cocktails. They sounded creative and delicious, and I wouldn't mind at all trying some of them!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0