• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Foods...

chefzadi

I used to eat a lot of them since my mom deep dry a lot of stuff. Now, I don't think we even have 1L of oil in the house. Just leave the deep frying job to the professionals and grandma.

Deep Fried food that I like:

Oysters

Chinese custard buns, mantou, and other dough products

Sausage - until it is burnt

Any vegetable - broccoli, okra, pepper, eggplant, asparagus, and many more

Tofu - can be soft, hard, or stinky

I can't eat them too often since they hurt my throat so I try to limit myself on them. Deep Fried food are usually eaten once or twice a month.

Almost never deep fry and have not done so since our fryer was ruined in a flood about four years ago.

For Superbowl however, decided to buy a fryer and make wings (supposedly according to the original recipe which included drying them out in the oven prior to frying) and they came our great. They were the McCoy.

One of our favorite deep fried dishes is quail.

Take the suckers (we can usually only find the little guys frozen, so have to thaw and dry very well) and just deep fry them.

Was told about this by a woman who worked for the Asian market we frequent.

There is little better.

Maybe fried fingerling catfish, but I cannot find those guys anymore.

We almost never eat deep fried food, but there is certainly a place for it.

Edited for spelling, twice, please don't tell me if I ignored another error. Thanks.

Edited by auntdot (log)

I like just about everything that's been mentioned so far but I'll add spring rolls.

I'd guess that I eat fried foods about 4 times a year. I'd much rather have cheese to satisfy my fat-tooth.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

fiori di zucchine (zucchini's flower) ,radicchio di treviso, sage's leaves.

Deep fried in batter made of eggs, beer, olive oil, flour, water. NOT SALTED

during summer a lot with a glass of Prosecco in the other hand.

I like to deep fry fish or veggies with a combination of chick-peas flour and "00" flour (white flour).

this when I'm in Andalusia, Sanlucar, with a glass of Manzanilla...

Thans for bringing up this thread, now I look forward to summer again!

Alessandro

Thanks to getting better with alternative breadings and batters and rediscovering my deep-fryer I have been eating more deep fried foods lately.

Buffalo wings are around once a week during football season, sometimes more. I like to make chicken parm by coating the chicken cutlets in an egg wash, then rolling in grated parmesan cheese, then deep frying that. The cheese forms a nice brown crispy crust that gives texture plus a lot of flavor. I have been wondering what would happen if I tried to deep fry chunks of sausage... I might do that this week.

I also attempted to make my own corn chips. The dough I made from corn bran actually tasted very good, but I haven't gotten the recipe right to fry up to the correct consistency, too much like tamale dough, which is a great thing, but not corn chips.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Now we're talking. My first thought at the beginning was fried eggs and fried potatoes, especially while I am on this current kick of potatoes fried in chicken fat that I rendered.

One of our favorite deep fried dishes is quail....

Oh my... We WILL do that. Thanks for the idea.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Not all that often, but I love fried food. Oysters, shrimp, chicken, soft crabs, marinated duck. I only deep fry outside in the summer a couple times a year. In the winter, I pan fry seafood in very little peanut oil. For shrimp or soft crabs, I use a mixture of self rising flour (a great tip I got from an elerly black southern lady who knew how to do soft crabs right) and Penzey's Chesapeake Bay seasoning, which I prefer to Old Bay. I just coat the pan with peanut oil plus a couple extra tablespoons. get it nice and hot, dredge the seafood and in it goes. Have to turn it due to the small amount of oil, but it comes out light and crispy, not greasy. For oysters I like a little more breading, add in some corn meal and bread crumbs.

Oh good Lord, if I were in Nola, I'd be eating an Oyster Po' Boy for lunch at least once a week.

Mmmmmmm.

Of course you would. I am going to Acme for a business lunch today. I will, of course, be eating a dozen raw and a po boy. I am a creature of habit.

And I almost forgot fried softshells. I like them grilled, steamed, sauteed, any old way-but I really like them fried. On a po boy. At the Jazz Festival. With extra Crystal Hot Sauce dripping out of it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Fried reigns . It is the apotheosis of cooking methods, and I think the topic needs to move away from it's deep-fried focus to include pan-fried: Eggs, potatoes, hash browns, chicken, for crying out loud!

I love pan-fried chicken, with a cream gravy made from the drippings. That's how mom made it, but I never seem to fix it myself.

Scott gets out the deep fryer about once a month and fries something. I won't let him do it more often because our current house has terrible ventilation. He makes perfect frites, and fried oysters for po'boys.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Favorite fried foods are chicken, fries, clams, calamari, fish n' chips & soft shell crabs. I eat some sort of fried food about 1-2 times a month.

I don't do alot of deep frying at home, as most times it turns into a disaster. But I do pan fry chicken (in a cast iron skillet, of course) often.

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Well, it could be several things:

1. This

2. this

or

3. this

While # 1 and two had a reputation of getting fried occasionally, #3 is what I was talking about. :wink:

Too funny...!

And I almost forgot fried softshells.

Oh yeah, I forgot about them. They are among my favorites for sure.

I have a fryer, but I put it down in the basement to avoid temptation. Before that we probably fried something about once or twice a month. Mozzarella sticks, onion rings, french fries, shrimp. Once in awhile I'll pan fry chicken and/or rings in a beer batter.

I'm going to my favorite Chinese restaurant tonight for Salt & Pepper Eggplant, ovals of eggplant with a ground pork mixture that somehow stays inside the salty (soy sauce?) batter - they come out shatteringly crisp, showered with thin thin slices of garlic, ginger, some cilantro & hot peppers. And on the side - their scallion pancakes that look like balloons.

Can't wait.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

family loves pakoras ( i use a batter of 2/3 chickpea flour = besan;

and 1/3 rice flour for crispness).

but i make it rarely because adults are watching their weight

and though i supposedly make it for the kids, we can't

keep our paws off them.

same story with pooris and parathas.

kids also love papads, and though you can make them in the mw

or toast them over the gas flame, i fry them as traditional,

again for the kids. these i make ~ once a week.

milagai

I rarely deep fry anymore. And I don't pan fry too much, either.

However, I am a fan of the general genre. :wink:

Lumpia. My brother's MIL used to make them for family gatherings but now she buys them pre-made. :sad:

Pot stickers, though I prefer they also be steamed. Pot stickers that are only fried are like half a haircut. You gotta go all the way and do both cooking methods for them to taste their best.

Beer batter onion rings with seasoned salt and a chipotle/hot pepper mayo to dip them in.

Deep fried turkey covered with a spicy rub and injected the night before with some mysterious garlic concoction.

Keep your oven-fried french fries...I'll take mine deep fried, please, crinkle cut and crunchy and generously topped with Heinz Ketchup.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Probably weekly. Fries, onion rings are at the top of the list, along with tempura and pommes dauphines (lovely potato/choux paste dumplings). I love fried chicken, but don't make it and generally don't order it (though I will order fish and chips).

I generally don't fry at home because of the mess, disposing of the oil, no ventilation, etc.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

[...]A couple of fried eggs, which I don't think count though I'm not sure why.[...]

Because they're not deep fried.

Right... is there any way to deep fry an egg? I have some time on my hands, maybe I should give it a go!

After my grandma finished making chips, she would crack an egg into the fryer. Voila, a deep fried egg, her favorite snack. (yes, that's right, snack....surprisingly, she didn't die of a heart attack and had low cholesterol.)

To add to my list

I like Calamari and Korean battered and fried octopus or squid. Chinese deep fried whole shrimp. I can eat a couple of big plates of those. As far as batters for seafood and vegetables go I prefer Korean batters, very light, lacey and crispy. I like the Japanese panko crusts as well.

If we get into shallow frying I would add any number of Korean jons and pancakes. But the amount of oil that can be used for these preparations can vary quite a bit. Some cooks seem to shallow fry them other just add enough oil to coat the pan.

We don't do much of any type of frying at home. We're not health nuts by a long stretch. We like the taste of fried foods well enough. But my wife and I have an aversion to the smell of fried foods. It's the smell of fried food cooking that we don't like. So even if we include shallow fried foods on any given month or months we don't eat it.

The whole family was at a picnic and someone brought fried chicken. My entire family (toddler too) took the crust off before eating it. :biggrin:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I like the Japanese panko crusts as well.

So do I. I've been in the mood for panko-crusted-something lately. Sometimes I don't fry, though, and instead make the panko part of a covering to adhere to the meat or whatever, and brown it in the oven. Now you've got my wheels turning for menu planning this weekend. :smile: