• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Foods...

chefzadi

Frequency on an average month= 0

How often do we cook fired foods at home on an average month (maybe a year)=0

Favorite fried foods= Entire family can pretty live without them and be very happy. I can't say that I'm drawn to them much at all. But saying that I have an aversion would be too strong. French fries and beignets (is that too obvious?). But I don't eat those with any frequency worth mentioning. I've gone for months and months without eating fried food and when I do it's almost incidental. Someone else's house, someone else orders it a restaurant and says, "here try this."

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Fried as in deep-fried, I presume? Well, considering that Chinese "stir-fry" is nearly always very briefly deep-fried and then put into a bath of water before sauce, etc. are added in New York Chinese restaurants, I guess I have fried food pretty often. Other than that, though, the main thing I think of is fish, and it's been quite some time since I've had a fried fish dish. I'm not averse to fried food, though I'm a bit careful about it from a digestion standpoint.

Michael aka "Pan"

Yes Pan, deep fried. I'm aware of the Chinese technique of oil blanching. For the purposes of this thread I neither include or exclude them. How's that! ;-)

Dean of Culinary Arts

I made tempura about four years ago. Dean and Deluca's french fries, once, last year, to see for myself if they really were as good as they promised to be (they weren't). I made "fried" cornmeal mush last night, but it wasn't really fried, just kind of seared in a small amount of butter. A couple of fried eggs, which I don't think count though I'm not sure why. That's about it for the last five years or so.

Fried as in deep-fried, I presume? Well, considering that Chinese "stir-fry" is nearly always very briefly deep-fried and then put into a bath of water before sauce, etc. are added in New York Chinese restaurants, I guess I have fried food pretty often. Other than that, though, the main thing I think of is fish, and it's been quite some time since I've had a fried fish dish. I'm not averse to fried food, though I'm a bit careful about it from a digestion standpoint.

Pan, when I hear someone say "stir-fry," I think of cooking of meat and/or vegetables (bite-size portions) on very high heat rather briefly with a little bit of oil (about 1 tablespoon) until done and transfered onto a serving plate, ready to eat with rice usually. No bath of water, maybe a little soy sauce to taste.

I was also presuming deep-fried as well. As for me, it has to be onion rings. Not a fried onion loaf, not onion strings, but onion RINGS!!! How often? Maybe about once a month or whenever I go to a steakhouse that serves them.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Deep frying.... doing that well is an art and a science. We do homemade french fries maybe every other month. We deep fry more often now than we used to because a nice deep-fryer is part of our grill. It's great, the mess being outdoors instead of inside. Other favorites we deep fry are onion rings, other vegetables, oysters, fish for fish & chips, wings for buffalo wings, and Cornish Hens. It probably averages out to about once a month.

If I know a restaurant does a good job, I sometimes order something fried when we're out for happy hours on Friday nights. This past Friday I had delicious "fish fingers" at a martini bar! I love fried grouper sandwiches -- again, if they do a good job at it.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Onion rings, batter dipped (duh), and far too often (around once a month).

Tempura, rather more often, two or three times a month perhaps?

French fries...sometimes...two or three times a month?

Chicken fingers...three or four times a year, and fish and chips, about the same.

I don't attempt to deep fry anything at home, I leave it to the professionals.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Favourites:

-fried oysters

-onion rings (breaded, not battered)

-french fries if they're crispy and served with mayo

-fried chicken (only dark meat, though)

-fish and chips

-fried chicken wings

-sweet potato tempura

-"yao tew" aka "Chinese donut" (served with congee)

-this type of Chinese donut that's round, filled with sweet red bean paste, and covered in sugar (dao sa yoong)

errr...please excuse my poor Cantonese phonetic spelling :laugh:

I eat deep-fried food perhaps once a week. And pan-fried foods, like scallion cakes, more often.

Weekly at least, occasionally more often, Tater Tots or shoestring fries, hushpuppies, fish, falafal, fritters of different kinds, tortilla chiips, potato chips, vegetable chips of various kinds.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Calamari or fritto misto probably the most common, maybe once a month, and then it's actually ordered by the rest of the family. Not something I crave, and if you told me tomorrow that there'd never ever be any more deep fried foods I'd be okay with it.

Beignet/fritter sorts of things for dim sum occasionally.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Fried reigns . It is the apotheosis of cooking methods, and I think the topic needs to move away from it's deep-fried focus to include pan-fried: Eggs, potatoes, hash browns, chicken, for crying out loud! Thin crispy frittura or tempura batter. Breaded and floured, coated in corn flake crumbs and dunked: if it were not for Girlish Figure concerns I would would eat almost every meat, seafood or vegetable fried by choice, because I think they taste better.

Probably four times a week. In real life.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Some of you are reminding me that I do eat felafel from time to time and do order fried calamari with some frequency when in Italian or Greek restaurants. Pan-fried seems to me a different animal, but I definitely like pan-fried dim sum items.

Michael aka "Pan"

I don't eat much fried food at all, but I do enjoy it occaisonally.

I like vegetable tempura as an occaisonal appetizer (likewise, fritto misto).

My mom makes the most amazing cauliflower fritters, with a light beer batter.

Oh, I haven't had them in a while and they are so good.

Deep fried things don't have to be greasy, and can even have less fat than something sauteed, when the technique is done properly.

That's pretty much it, maybe turnip cakes and sesame balls in Chinatown, the occaisonal churro/donut, and frites to go with moules when in Brussels.

The other day, my friend ordered "tempura coconut cheesecake," yes a cheesecake square crosted in coconut and lightly fried, with berry coulis. I had a bite and I like everything about it except for the fried part.

Fried reigns . It is the apotheosis of cooking methods, and I think the topic needs to move away from it's deep-fried focus to include pan-fried: Eggs, potatoes, hash browns, chicken, for crying out loud!  Thin crispy frittura or tempura batter. Breaded and floured, coated in corn flake crumbs and dunked: if it were not for Girlish Figure concerns I would would eat  almost every meat, seafood or vegetable fried by choice, because I think they taste better.

Probably four times a week. In real life.

We can include pan fried. My list would change a bit. But the frequency wouldn't change much. But that's just me. I will post later on the deep fried and pan fried foods I enjoy when they materialize in front of me (but don't pursue :biggrin: )

But I think that including sauteed dishes or stir fry dishes that aren't blanched in oil first leaves the field too open. We want some focus, non?

Dean of Culinary Arts

Yardbird-once a week

Fried Oyster Po Boy- once a week

Fried Shrimp-Once a month (we eat shrimp once or twice a week, but rarely fried)

Fried eggplant pirogues with crawfish stuffing-not enough times a year

That's about it

Southern stereotype? Sure. Delicious. You bet.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

[...]A couple of fried eggs, which I don't think count though I'm not sure why.[...]

Because they're not deep fried.

Right... is there any way to deep fry an egg? I have some time on my hands, maybe I should give it a go!

there sure is. jacques pepin tells how to do it in 'complete techniques.' oil at 360, warm two wooden spatulas in the oil so the egg doesn't stick, and use them to shape it as it cooks. apparently other than that it's basically just like poaching an egg, except you cook it for less time.

i've never tried it so i can't vouch for it. i do believe, however, that st. jacques can do no wrong, so i have faith that it would be delicious, and that you should try it and report back.