• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heat and Eat Products we Like

Jason Perlow

In the spirit of the Store Brand/Generic Products thread, I'd like to start a discussion of what I would like to refer to as commercial/mass market "Heat and Eat" products you can buy from your average supermarket that are actually good. The premise is you can't always cook from scratch or even mostly from scratch, either because you are busy, tired, or don't feel like procuring ingredients for dinner or whatever -- but there are some decent products out there that you can just heat and eat which in entirety or in combination with other things, make for a decent meal.

I've already gone on record that I love Tater Tots. Another product that we like to use at home are the Barber Foods pre-cooked stuffed chicken breasts:

http://www.barberfoods.com/

These are your typical breaded and stuffed Chicken Kiev, Chicken Cordon Bleu or Chicken with Cheese and Broccoli type things (they also sell unstuffed Italian-style breaded chicken breasts if you want to make a fast and easy chicken cutlet sandwich or a chicken parm, and chicken strip type things) and most supermarkets and Costcos carry them frozen in boxes of six or ten. They are also sold for food service as well.

I like them -- paired with a starch like a pasta, rice or a potato and a green vegetable, they make a nice, easy dinner.

Back in the day I was also fond of Marie Calendar frozen products particularly their pot pies and prepared pasta side dishes, but I haven't bought any in a while.

Anyone else got some good ones?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Since joining Weight Watchers, I have come to appreciate some of the Amy's and Dr. Praeger products. Certain items like the Dr. P's California Burgers and Amy's vegetable pies are quick, tasty and remarkably low in fat and calories. Their products that are higher-calorie are fine too, as far as I've tried them, but the real attraction of instant meals for me is the no-brain combination of speed and limited calories.

The Barber stuffed chicken breasts are wonderful. We keep a package or two in the freezer at all times so a nice quick meal with rice and a veg.

The Dominck's ready-made, pre-packaged soups are nice; we've only had two: the tomato bisque and the potatoe soup. For under $5 we have soup in under 5 minutes; it's perfect for the nights we have to stay at work till 7 and then drive an hour and a half home.

There's a yummy in my tummy.

American frozen pizza really stinks. German frozen pizza is really really good. (Well, some of it. In particular, Dr. Oetker's tomato mozzarella pizza.)

I also like a boca burger now and again, and mac n cheese out of a box now and again though I haven't done either in a while.

Wow, unfortunately I haven't been able to indulge in many of these items in quite a while, but I used to really like:

Frozen pierogies, really, just as good as fresh made, and all it takes is a quick trip to the skillet or deep fryer and a date with a jar of sour cream to make an awesome dinner.

Red Baron Breakfast Pizzas: The regular red baron pizzas are utter crap, but the breakfast pizzas, especially the bacon, egg, cheese, and gravey, are utter bliss.

Goya brand beef empanadas are also really good, although IMO defrosting and deep frying is a must for the proper texture.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Wow, unfortunately I haven't been able to indulge in many of these items in quite a while, but I used to really like:

Frozen pierogies, really, just as good as fresh made, and all it takes is a quick trip to the skillet or deep fryer and a date with a jar of sour cream to make an awesome dinner. 

Red Baron Breakfast Pizzas:  The regular red baron pizzas are utter crap, but the breakfast pizzas, especially the bacon, egg, cheese, and gravey, are utter bliss.

Goya brand beef empanadas are also really good, although IMO defrosting and deep frying is a must for the proper texture.

Frozen Peirogies: The Mrs. T's brand is quite decent.

as to Goya frozen products -- I agree wholeheartedly. They also have these beef-stuffed potato croquette things that are really good.

Following the empanada theme, While I question their wholesomeness, I also like the Tower Isle Jamaican beef patties.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Trader Joe's pork gyoza, done in the cast iron skillet

I also like their frozen individual serving size quiche (heated in the toaster oven, not microwave, for the best crust).

Frozen mac & cheese (Morton's was my brand of choice as a kid, but I don't think they make that anymore), be it Stouffer's, Lean Cuisine, Amy's Organic, or Seeds of Change, takes me right back to childhood.

If I'm feeling really decadent, one of the smaller sized Marie Callender's pot pies is pretty tasty, again, another childhood fave. I don't like the crust on their pot pies (or pies) in the restaurant, but the frozen works for me somehow.

I also like TJ's frozen spanakopita and mushroom turnover appetizers for a quick bite if unexpected guests pop over (yeah, like that happens).

Amy's Organic canned black bean vegetarian chili, over some premade polenta (sliced and heated in the oven until it starts to get crispy), makes a tasty, filling lunch (good on cold days).

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

American frozen pizza really stinks. German frozen pizza is really really good. (Well, some of it. In  particular, Dr. Oetker's tomato mozzarella pizza.)

I also like a boca burger now and again, and mac n cheese out of a box now and again though I haven't done either in a while.

Ah, the boca burger. I tried it a few months back, and it was great. I went to costco and bought a big pack. I tried one just as I remembered it. As I ate them, their taste got worse and worse each time. Eventually, after 4, they tasted like dirt. Thinking it was something that was wrong with my box, I bought a smaller pack at the local grocery. Dirt. No more GMO soy for me.

mmmm tower isle jamaican beef patties. good, spicey, flaky. perfect with my favorite condiments.

morningstar farms veggie pattys (there crunchy!) great with onions,bacon, mayo, swiss and ketchup on a potato roll...who said vegitarian things had to go in vegitarian preperations? yum fatty.

severoli raviooooli (tastes good cause it rhymes)

white castle. bad. good. bad. good.

I al so dump rao's sauce on plenty of things to make them edible.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Ah, the boca burger. I tried it a few months back, and it was great. I went to costco and bought a big pack. I tried one just as I remembered it. As I ate them, their taste got worse and worse each time. Eventually, after 4, they tasted like dirt. Thinking it was something that was wrong with my box, I bought a smaller pack at the local grocery. Dirt. No more GMO soy for me.

Are you sure they are GMO? They are packaged as organic. In any case, they were always more like a vehicle for mustard & onions. To be honest, since I went back to eating meat I just eat real hamburgers made from real (albeit local grass-fed organic etc etc) beef. But I still prefer tempeh reubins to real ones!

I dunno, I outgrew a lot of convenience food at a certain point, I really have no idea why. For the most part I find it just as easy to keep frozen pizza dough in the freezer, defrost a day ahead & throw together when I get home. Take up less freezer space, too. Plus I find cooking relaxing for the most part.

Okay. Definately Stouffer's Mac & Cheese. Baked about 20 minutes beyond the called for time so the top and bottom has that great brown crusty stuff. Mmmmm...

Hot Pockets Chicken & Broccoli Pot Pie pockets. And I'm just saying this one for the ease and relative nutrition to feed my kids quickly when I need to or don't feel like cooking.

To eat good food is to be close to God." -Big Night

I like Tastybite Indian meals - shelf-stable and they come with their own little plastic fork and box to heat the food up in - no dishes! I also like Amy's products - frozen pizza, Chicago and California burgers, canned vegetarian "chili". At this time of year I use frozen vegetables - I'd rather have a crisp frozen green bean than those ones that have been imported from heaven knows where and left sitting on the shelf for two weeks. I'll admit to a deep and abiding fondness for the Tater Tot, though since I've been doing Weight Watchers I don't get them very often. I used to take frozen "entrees" to work when I worked outside the home...mostly they were disgusting but I really liked Stouffer's Turkey Tetrazzini.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

John Folse's frozen soups can be quite nice. I usually doctor them up by adding more shrimp (to the shrimp and asparagus soup) or crabmeat (to the crawfish and potato soup). They're good on their own, but sometimes I like to fiddle.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Are you sure they are GMO? They are packaged as organic. In any case, they were always more like a vehicle for mustard & onions. To be honest, since I went back to eating meat I just eat real hamburgers made from real (albeit local grass-fed organic etc etc) beef. But I still prefer tempeh reubins to real ones!

I dunno, I outgrew a lot of convenience food at a certain point, I really have no idea why. For the most part I find it just as easy to keep frozen pizza dough in the freezer, defrost a day ahead & throw together when I get home. Take up less freezer space, too. Plus I find cooking relaxing for the most part.

It's organic GMO soy. Funny, isn't it? There are so many loopholes in labeling and packaging of products.

If I had to pick a get home late, no time for anything elaborate, quick mostly preprepared dinner it would be a Boca Burger or Gardenburger (I like the Original) done up in a fry pan with a half teaspoon of olive oil and served on tosted slices of French bread with thin slices of raw onion and tomato, a bit of mayo and some hot pepper relish. My other choice would be a half dozen Trader Joe's frozen gyoza (pork or shrimp) tossed into a fry pan with a little olive oil long enough to brown then hit with some white wine and steamed for just a few minutes. I like them with a hastely prepared dipping concoction of light soy, grated ginger, green onions, chopped garlic and a little rice wine vinegar. I usually have these items on hand just for this possibility. These are usually served on paper plates so I can toss them out, put the fry pan and dipping sauce boat in the dishwasher and go to bed with minimal impact on the kitchen.

Cheers,

HC

I am very fond of Ore-Ida spicy fries -- I think they are called Zesties. There may be an exclamation point in the name itself. Also Morningstar Farms black bean veggie burgers, which we refer to as "food disks". And in my youth I formed an abiding love for Stouffer's corn souffle, to be heated in the oven rather than the microwave, always. It is probably just as well that this last one is something of a rare item, which enhances the mystique.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I know what people mean about Boca Burgers tasting funny. I started with those and then moved to different vegetable burgers, like Praegers and some flavors of Gardenburgers, that are not trying so hard to taste like meat.

Do Ramen noodles count? Gotta love the Mama Brand pork ones. With that grease packet. Yummy.

Ore Ida also makes some onion things (vidialia somethings) that are pretty good. Much easier and faster than doing the deep fry thing and dealing with all of the grease.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

If I'm feeling really decadent, one of the smaller sized Marie Callender's pot pies is pretty tasty, again, another childhood fave

This is one of my favorites, too. I went upscale when I switched to Marie Callendars from Swanson's pot pies. Whenever I am feeling poorly (or poor), when I am very tired and/or it is miserably wet and cold outside, there is nothing better than chicken pot pie. I tried to make my own once, and I lkied marie's better!

What about going halfway with a Boboli? Boboli is another heat and eat product that I am greatful for.

What about going halfway with a Boboli? Boboli is another heat and eat product that I am greatful for.

Its okay, but kinda pricey for bread dough as far as I'm concerned. I just make a double batch of reinhardt dough every once in a while = 12 pizzas. Considering how good it is, and how cheap, there really isn't any point for me in doing anything else. And since I favor a quick plum tomato/olive oil sauce and sliced fresh mozarella, it ends up being practically no work at all. (In other words, I'd rather spend money on the cheese :smile: )

I didn't count frozen vegetables in "heat and serve" since you have to do something to them. Frozen peas and corn are great for quick soups, but then I think it's getting into actual cooking.

Oh, I do like certain Korean frozen dumpling brands, one vegetarian kind and one fish & shrimp kind.

I would love to find a good premade gnocchi, but all the ones I've tried taste weird to me (including the overpriced ones we had tonight...) Anyone found good ones?

someone's quote on the fn boards read something like

"if you're going to make anything from scratch, you must first create the universe" that always calmed the cumpulsive in me. I use for convience sake frozen veggies a lot, mostly seasoning blend. The kids like hot pockets, I don't. that's about it.