• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heat and Eat Products we Like

Jason Perlow

Anyone read the artcile in (2/16/05)Wednesday's New York Times about frozen vegetables?  the author was a self-declared "snob" about using only fresh produce, but he tried frozen when truly fresh stuff was out of season and found it to be cheaper and just as tasty (sometimes more tasty in the case of rutabaga and turnip). I heartily agreed with the author about using this stuff for out-of-season veggies during the winter.  I also keep frozen fruit (no sugar added) in my freezer for quick pies and smoothies when fresh is not available.

Yep, nice peice by Mark Bittman here:

Frosty the Vegetable (NY Times)?

By the way, I completely agree with Michel Richard about frozen Brussel sprouts, particularly the bags of minature, marble-sized Brussels. They are awesome -- defrost, toss these up with some olive oil and garlic, and saute with some salt and pepper to taste. Goes great with any meat dish.

Modern IQF technology is a significant, almost quantum leap improvement in food preservation technology than the bulk freezing technique originally pioneered by Clarence Birdseye which was in use from the 40s to the 80s. I'm guessing people who disdain frozen veggies remember the bulk frozen, freezer burned stuff from the bad old days and have never tried current IQF products.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Obviously these are decisions and judgments we all have to make for ourselves, but in my view, I place a huge distinction between something like frozen veggies, or fruits, or fish fillets, etc., with no additives, and a tray of prepared lasagne, or chicken casserole, or a box of hamburger helper.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with using technology, as in the case of frozen vegetables, to ensure a healthy, well-rounded diet on my family's table.

To me that is nothing like buying a box of frozen burritos, heating them in the microwave, serving them up with tater tots and a can of refried beans, adding a few large bottles of Pepsi, and calling that a meal.

(PS -- In the interest of full disclosure, I should add that, although rarely, from time to time, I did do exactly that.)

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I still consider it cooking. Opening a box, putting something on a cookie sheet and baking it till crispy is cooking. It isn't advanced cooking, but you are preparing dinner from an unacceptable state to an acceptable state none-the-less.

I have a feeling there is a lot of personal preference in these type of items. Everyone's pallette is different, and everyone clues into different flavors, textures, etc that they like or they don't. I don't cook to eat well. I could be perfectly happy eating only cheap eats mom and pop joints, fast food, and ready-to-eat or frozen stuff from the grocery store. However, I wouldn't be happy if I were not cooking. I cook because I love cooking, I have fun working with my hands, and I have pride in the finished product. Someone can enjoy cooking, have good taste in food, be able to appreciate fine food, and still enjoy something whose main taste notes are fat and salt.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Are you sure it isn't what your mother used to make?

I've had a number of friends discover later in life that some of their cherished childhood foods came from a box...

What is wrong with plain, frozen vegetables? 

And I still say that Stouffer's creamed chipped beef is just as good as what mama used to make.

I've had a number of friends discover later in life that some of their cherished childhood foods came from a box...

And I still say that Stouffer's creamed chipped beef is just as good as what mama used to make.

No, because I used to watch her make it. She would by the Armour dried beef that came in the jar, rinse it and basically add it to a white sauce. It was one of my favorite things as a child. It is really pretty simple to make, but I am the only one in my family who likes it, so I always look forward to it when husband and kids are hunting.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

Okay. I'd like to get past making this a referendum on whether supermarket heat and eat products are evil or inferior to fresh food or food made from scratch, and return to the original premise of the thread, which are products we LIKE, Thanks. Please feel free to start a "Why we hate heat and eat products" and "tater tots are the spawn of Satan" topic elsewhere.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Thank yor for that, Jason!

I do like a great many heat and eat things, even though I am mostly a "from scratch" cook.

And it is not because I don't have enough time. In fact, sometimes when I have lots of time available and could easily cook something from scratch, I find that it just feels right to pick up something that is 99% prepared.

I kick back, put my feet up and enjoy the freedom to do what I want when I want.

If it is not the healthiest thing in the world, then I am willing to live (or not) with the consequences. It is my life.

While I was out running errands KNX radio had an interview with the guy that did the movie "Supersize Me!" He mentioned how much weight he gained and the changes in his liver, cholesterol, and etc., during his month of eating the "bad" stuff.

Finally they talked of the anomaly, of people who do eat fast food all the time, but within reason, not including the fries and additional things that contribute to the fat and sugar content, and how they beat the odds and remain healthy.

Once in a while an indulgence is not going to cause havoc.

I forgot to mention that my favorite heat and eat things are the Chicken Teriyaki bowls I buy at Costco, 8 to a pack and beef and green chile burritos, I forget the brand name but they are the only one made without the soy protein.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Okay. I'd like to get past making this a referendum on whether supermarket heat and eat products are evil or inferior to fresh food or food made from scratch, and return to the original premise of the thread, which are products we LIKE, Thanks. Please feel free to start a "Why we hate heat and eat products" and "tater tots are the spawn of Satan" topic elsewhere.

I like:

Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits

Sister Schuberts rolls

Stouffers French bread pizzas

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

We've removed a number of posts from this thread that are either personal or not germane to the topic.

Let's keep it civil folks, or we'll lock it down. No one is required to post on this thread. It isn't necessary to agree, but it is necessary to disagree civilily and without getting personal.

Thanks

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I like most brands of frozen ravioli that I've tried. I also like the Barilla dried tortellini. For any of these, I make a quick sauce with some olive oil, garlic and Muir Glen crushed tomatoes with basil. Or I take some pesto I made last summer out of the freezer and warm it up.

I also like IQF veggies and fruit. Easy to make a smoothie, just take some soy milk, frozen fruit and OJ and you don't even need to add ice!

I have a soft spot for Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup.

OK, I like what few Dr. Praeger products I've tried, and wish my local Whole Foods and Trader Joe's would carry the full line. I must speak to them about that.

When I shop at Jewel, I often buy some President's Choice frozen salmon burgers. I pan-fry them with a glaze of some kind-- balsamic vinegar, miso, what have you. I keep meaning to try the tuna burgers too. I would probably like some of the other things, like meat balls, if Iliked those things in the first place.

I also like frozen hors d'oeuvres such as cheese puffs and pastry nibbles. The President's Choice ones are OK but I really like a line of stuff they make at a local chain called Foodstuffs (which also has a fair bit of other good frozen foods). Sinfully expensive but so handy when you have a bunch of drunks in the living room.

i like me some white castle cheeseburgers.  yeah, i know you purists will tell me they're nothing like the real thing.  but when the nearest white castle is over 50 miles away through the wilds of new jersey, you have to take what you can get.

Its interesting, but I actually feel the frozen White Castles you get AT White Castle are superior to the ones in the supermarket. I'm not sure why, and Rachel is convinced they are the exact same thing, but I beg to differ.

That being said, White Castles bought fresh and thrown into the freezer and then reheated are my favorites -- I like to buy extra Doubles and freeze them right away.

The supermarket ones are good, though. Well, good in a junk food way.

My lunch today is half a can of stewed tomatoes (DelMonte) and some saltines.

unheated, though I could if I wanted to.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I like almost all of the Amy's frozen organic meals except for most of the enchilada ones - some of those are just nasty. The last time I was at Costco they were selling packs of pesto tortellini bowls and stuffed shell bowls - those were good. The only problem is most of the tastier ones are not terribly healthy.

TJ's frozen spanikopita and frozen individual quiches are good too. We found a couple of their frozen pizzas we like, but we'd still rather have homemade - which I make with thawed pre-made frozen dough, thanks. I like some frozen pasta - tortellini comes to mind - but I've tried other kinds that were vile. We got some chicken ravioli from TJs that was so bad we couldn't even eat them.

In the non-frozen arena, some of the dried cup soups by Incredible Foods (I think that's the name - organic food company) are actually really good. I keep cups of the dry black bean soup in my office for days when I get slammed and can't get away from my desk for lunch. It's spicy and good. TJ's soups that come in the kettle-shaped can are not bad either.

Mostly what I use frozen meals for is lunch. I am not a morning person and also a chronic late riser, so sometimes all I can manage to do before I dash out the door for work is grab a frozen meal, a piece of fruit and a yogurt to eat during the day. Making lunch, or sometimes even just transferring leftovers into Tupperware, is more than I can manage in the nanosecond I have between when I come downstairs and when I have to be out the door. Sad, but true.

By the way, I completely agree with Michel Richard about frozen Brussel sprouts, particularly the bags of minature, marble-sized Brussels. They are awesome -- defrost, toss these up with some olive oil and garlic, and saute with some salt and pepper to taste. Goes great with any meat dish.

FYI, I've been roasting them, without defrosting first. When making a whole bag, I just drizzle some OO and salt into the bag and squish the sprouts around until coated. Spread out on a baking pan and into a hot oven for about 15-20 minutes.

I prefer Hanover Premium brand frozen Brussels Sprouts (and Petite Peas). However, I stock up when they are on sale, $1.49/lb. This is much cheaper than fresh, and better tasting, I've found.

i do keep a few convenience foods in the house:

Trader Joe's 1/4 lb. pre cooked buffalo burgers

frozen peas

boboli thin crust pizzas(for me)

pillsbury sweet rolls (for John) - these are a stop gap for me if i'm busy or

don't have time to do my regular baking

frozen maltashen from our local german butcher - all i have to do is defrost

saute, make a beef broth and top with onion confit

at work i keep several cans of healthy choice split pea soup incase anyone has forgotten lunch

johnnybird has a box of white castle hamburgers at work.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

No, because I used to watch her make it. She would by the Armour dried beef that came in the jar, rinse it and basically add it to a white sauce. It was one of my favorite things as a child. It is really pretty simple to make, but I am the only one in my family who likes it, so I always look forward to it when husband and kids are hunting.

Hey maybe we are related becuase this brought forth some potent memories of my mom doing the exact same thing (the jar, the white sauce, toast, yum). :raz:

As for fav. convenince foods:

Frozen Edemame, peas, squash

Progresso Split Pea soups (both kinds)

Frozen Perogies

Frozen Pot Stickers

Maple Grove Farms Buttermilk Pancake Mix.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Yep, nice peice by Mark Bittman here:

Frosty the Vegetable (NY Times)?

From the article:

"Cook [the Brussels sprouts] in butter with a bit of chicken stock, and they are wonderful," suggested Mr. Richard.

I was disappointed that there was no recipe for this accompanying the article. Could someone suggest a technique? I'm going to make this tonight. Well actually, very soon, like in 20 minutes.

I suppose I could just put a spoonful of my concentrated stock and a lump of butter in a covered frying pan with the (frozen) sprouts. I would think they'd need to cook on low for about 15 minutes, then a blast of high heat a the end to reduce the liquids and brown the sprouts. Sound right? Any differing suggestions?

I like the Pillsbury frozen biscuits. Especially when you live alone, they're great to pop into the oven, one at a time. I think it's a great product.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I like Stouffer's spinach souffle... even if you do have to melt it and fold in some freshly beaten egg whites if you want it to really puff up. (I usually don't bother.)

Tasty Bite indian stuff is great!

Marie Callendar's pot pies? Word!

Barbour chicken things are pretty good as well.

Not so much a fan of Trader Joe's dim sum type products... the shrimp always tastes off.

The giant Assi Korean market near me does fabulous frozen leek potstickers.

Frozen samosas are quite good, but can't remember a favored brand.

Frozen burritos are desperation food best not mentioned until the rent is due and the clients are all late in sending in their checks. On the other hand, frozen tamales are awesome! When I lived in Texas, there were always frozen tamales in my freezer.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch