• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heat and Eat Products we Like

Jason Perlow

Oh to be young and both broke and pressed for time!. Since I am currently all of the above I like:

*Pizza Rolls- over cooked

*Stoufers Veggie lasegna-over cooked

*TJ Spanakopita

*Alessi Tuscan white bean soup- if left simmering for hours is damn good- if done to directions the "veggie bits" tend to stay rock hard.

*Those new microwave single serve dessert bowls, kind of gross but gooey and chocolately at the same time.

Stouffer's spinach souffle,but never thought to add extra egg whites. I do start it in the microwave, then finish under the broiler so the top gets brown and crispy.

TJ's frozen mushroom appetizers - are they Nancy's, I think?

Frozen edamame

Couscous parmesan cup of soup - at work

Annie Chun's noodles for lunch

my biggest guilty frozen pleasure is Lean Cuisine meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

Papa Murphy's pepperoni pizza, tarted up with any kind of brown mushrooms, pickled peppers, pine nuts, olives, and fistsful of extra oregano and fresh garlic.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Trader Joe's Party Size Meatballs, Aidells Meatballs (I use both because it's hard to make egg and dairy free meatballs from scratch and have them hold together). The carnitas from Costco (don't remember the brand name off hand). Frozen edamame. Pilsbury Crescent Rolls.

I have 4 kids under 9... I often don't have the time or energy to make everything from scratch.

Edited by MomOfLittleFoodies (log)

Cheryl

I like to make a lot of things from scratch, however I love the frozen cheese blintzes sold at Smart & Final. I believe they are made by the same company that makes the Golden Blintzes line but come in a larger package. I think there are 18 in a box - I have 10 in a vacuum-sealed bag in the freezer. S&F carries only the plain cheese blintzes but I think there are other varieties.

I prefer them baked in the oven, rather than fried. They are great for breakfast but also make a wonderful dessert, especially with fresh strawberries.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Another vote for Marie Callendar Chicken pies. Cooked in the oven not the microwave!

Also, years back when visiting the folks in Palm Dessert they used to buy the Mrs. Smith frozen deep dish apple pies. I swear they were one of the best apple pies I had ever had

fresh or frozen (baked of course!). Are they still making them?

Yes! And they are excellent. Mrs. Smith's bakery

The recently added Cinnabon Apple Crumb Pie, as well as the Deep Dish Peach Pie and the No Sugar Added Apple Pie are also excellent.

The seasonal pies, Hearty Pumpkin and Pumpkin Custard are also very good. I have been told the mince pies are also good, however I make my own mincemeat so have never tried Mrs. Smith's, so I can't say from personal experience how they are.

The ladies who used to spend a couple of days prior to Thanksgiving and Christmas baking pies at the senior center here in town, to serve to the homeless and others who didn't have the resources for a holiday dinner, began relying on Mrs. Smiths pies which were donated through a local market. (I used to help make pies and it was a lot of work - we made about 200 total)

I still volunteer my time, and help with the planning and we had a tasting session to decide on which pies would be best. The market and Mrs. Smith's jointly donated the pies.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've forever been partial to Campbell's bean and bacon soup, Stouffer's welsh rabbit and their french bread pizzas. Stouffers use to make a spinach stuffed crepe in cheese sauce that was simply outstanding, and I really miss them. And, chicken pot pies!

---------------------------------------

• 3 years later...

Trader Joe's frozen TV-dinner-like Chicken Tikka Masala meals taste disturbingly like my favorite home-cooked curry, which takes a couple of hours to put together. I'm not sure whether to be delighted (a delicious gluten-free lunch option just 5 min of microwaving away!) or depressed (all that work to end up with something that tastes like frozen food?)

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

• 1 month later...

Major guilty pleasure: Top Ramen. If I'm at an Asian grocer, I'll buy the better quality brands, but I would be remiss to say that I don't take great pleasure in a 50 cent package of the bargain brand. Usually, I add blanched bok choy, sauteed shitake and braised celery, along with shichimi togarashi. Reminds me of running home from grade school, watching the Brady Bunch and slurping down a package before my parents got home to see that I'd ruined my dinner.

Oh, Ajisen ramen has a semi-instant product that I love. Fresh noodles, and two pouches of soup goo; cooked up with some takeaway char siu and blanched bok choi on the top - about at close as I'm getting to Japan in China. Is it available in other countries? It's really the most authentic "ramen" product I've ever tasted.

And thank you, Mr. Birdseye, for inventing frozen vegetables.

amen to that. --the basic mix w/ some melted Parmesan on top-- brings me riiiight back to when I was little. my mom and I would throw two bags worth in the microwave, sprinkle some parmesan on top, and then plop on the couch to watch a kiddie show together :) *power rangers ftw!

Red Baron Breakfast Pizzas: The regular red baron pizzas are utter crap, but the breakfast pizzas, especially the bacon, egg, cheese, and gravey, are utter bliss.

How dare you knock the delight that is the Baron?! Man, I love me some Red Baron Special Deluxe. There's just something about it. Could be the msg, could be the incredibly low-quality meats, could be the easily burnt crust...but all together, it's just so satisfying.

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians

Home Run Inn microwave pizza, only available in small size, is pretty darn good. Best I've had in its class. Unfortunately it is not available everywhere. We find it in Harris-Teeter in FL.