• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heat and Eat Products we Like

Jason Perlow

No one's mentioned products you prepare yourself and then defrost, heat and serve. Do those count? When we did more cooking then we do now, we'd almost always make more than enough of certain foods, mostly stews, soups and pasta sauces. Maybe we'd make enough for three meals and freeze enough for one or two meals. I have a great dislike for eating commercially prepared food and it's not based on health, or necessarily even on taste. Perhaps it's just rebellion against a mass culture.

However, there are always a few staples in the freezer. These days, one of them is bound to be frozen Chinese dumplings from one or two local sources in NY's Chinatown. Another might be some locally produced spinach and cheese ravioli from a local source. Because fresh pasta is perishable, the local shop usually has their ravioli in the freezer case. We usually have some rolls or bread in the freezer. A brioche loaf can be easily sliced even when frozen and can go into the toaster for a few seconds.

We tend not to keep a lot of frozen vegetables on hand mostly because I enjoy experiencing the seasons. Again, I see it as a personal choice rather than a moral one. Peas freeze incredibly well and it's hard to get peas even in season that are any better. The vitues of flash freezing have already been spelled out in this thread.

Eggs are my favorite fast food. No one wants to eat stale eggs, but they really keep well enough that one doesn't have to shop too often to always have fresh eggs on hand. From the refriderator to the table, is a pretty quick and it doesn't matter much if they're fried, scrambled or an omelet. Now that we're willing to spend the premium price for eggs from the greenmarket or even organic eggs from the supermarket, I enjoy them a lot more as well. Eggs really vary in taste.

Bread, as I mentioned, freezes well. I thought the Boboli crusts would be great, but when I tried it, I just didn't like the taste. I can't remember much else about it. Although I've been accused of being a purist for good reason, I've found brands of chestnuts either in jars, or vacuum packed are incredible. I've not been able to discern a flavor loss and the time saved it wonderful. They are not exactly a heat and eat product, expecially if I want them accompany a braised goose.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Wait a minute. Frozen veggies count in this topic?

I use those all the time. I tend to buy groceries in a big weekly or biweekly trip, so buying fresh makes little sense for me--unless I remember to blanch and freeze 'em myself, fresh veggies will usually go stale before I get around to cooking them. IQF veggies taste as good as fresh, IMO, and are real convenient.

That includes the brands-you've-never-heard-of at stores like Aldi and Save-a-Lot. I believe I posted about my experiences with frozen veggies from SaL on the store brand topic.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Like many others on this thread, I find that Barber chicken cordon bleu has a certain addictive quality to it. Thanks for reminding me. The thing is, though, you have to preheat the oven to 400 and cook for 30-35 minutes before it tastes good. That is what confuses me about so many convenience products--they take a hell of a lot longer to cook than it takes me to make many things from scratch. This means you, pot pie.

A few people have mentioned frozen stuffed pastas like tortellini, ravioli and manicotti. I think these are some of the best items in the freezer section, particularly if you get a premium product like Putney Pasta from Vermont, which is organic to boot.

I'd be very interested in trying some of the Daniel Boulud and Thomas Keller frozen meals from FiveLeaf. The dishes are cooked sous vide and then flash frozen. You can get Boulud's "Braised Veal Shank with Lemon Vegetables & Creamy Polenta" and Keller's "Monkfish Stew with Oyster Mushrooms, Pearl Onions & Root Vegetables."

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The Jimmy Buffet brand frozen Jerk Shrimp you find at Costco is really good. Pair that with the rice that takes 90 seconds in the microwave and you have a damn fine meal in under 10 minutes.

Zatarain makes some good frozen entrees, they are easily my favorite supermarket option.

Edited by NewYorkTexan (log)

I always have frozen baby peas and frozen broccoli around. My younger daughter loves peas and my older loves broccoli. I love any vegetable, so it works. I like to cook from scratch as often as possible, but it's difficult to do every day as a single mom working full-time with two young kids. Plus, I often have the problem of my kids not liking what I've lovingly prepared. They're not as picky as many kids their age and will always at least try what I've made, but they're still 5 and 9, and their favorite things are pretty simple. Sadly, I made the mistake of making Hamburger Helper for them about a year ago as a nostalgia thing (I ate occasionally as a child), and they loved it. I give in and make it once every other month or so. It pains me, though!

• 1 year later...

Our all time favorite heat and eat entree is Del Real Carnitas. I buy them in the refridgerated section at Costco (I've never looked for them anywhere else, so I don't know if they sell them at other stores). Really good. No apologies.

I am quite partial to Stouffers Mac and Cheese, cooked longer than the package states so you get a nice brown crust. My husband isn't really into this.

My husband is partial to Stouffers French Bread Pizza, either pepperoni or cheese, also cooked longer than the package states so you get a nice brown crust and the bread is pretty crispy. I'm not really into this.

Also, Bertolli makes a skillet meal that is something like Linguine with Shrimp and Garlic. Surprisingly tasty, until that time I ate this for dinner and then got the flu that was going around. After spending the night puking it back up, I can no longer stand even the idea of it, but before that incident it was good.

Haven't read through this whole thread, but in case it hasn't been mentioned yet, I love Costco's rotisserie chicken! Bought one yesteray for $5.20 including tax. I can't buy a fresh chicken for less than that price, and this chicken was BIG, besides being tasty (it's the celery seed in the flavoring). We've gotten 2 meals (for 3 people) out of it, and there's still a bit of breast meat left over. :-)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Another vote for Marie Callendar Chicken pies. Cooked in the oven not the microwave!

Also, years back when visiting the folks in Palm Dessert they used to buy the Mrs. Smith frozen deep dish apple pies. I swear they were one of the best apple pies I had ever had

fresh or frozen (baked of course!). Are they still making them?

I have become enamored with Dr. Praeger's frozen products, especially spinach pancakes and vegetable burgers. These fit nicely into my Weight Watchers program but I eat them even when off the diet. I also buy a good number of frozen foods from a suburban Chicago chain called Foodstuffs which puts WW points on some of their products. Their stuff tastes pretty homemade.

In general, being on a diet got me interested in having a few prepared (but relatively natural) convenience foods around. Some of them make a satisfying and fairly balanced meal. Sometimes when you're trying to lose weight you need to be able to go on autopilot just for a rest.

Oooooh, Onion TaterTots, baked to a tooth-shattering crunch, sprinkled liberally with celery salt and dunked in sriracha. I also have a jalapeno popper problem: it's so hard not to eat the whole freaking box at one time.

And I actually like Morningstar Farms burgers and sausage patties better than the things they're supposed to immitate. Amy's pretend meatloaf is also really good.

And we're never without frozen vegs!

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

"I think everyone needs to have a little "Go to Hell" night once in a while!"

I love that quote! Thank you, Natasha! That could be a chapter in the cookbook which I am being pressured to write.

Anyway, Tater Tots are big on my list. Also, frozen Michelina's pasta dinners.

I'm a big fan of most frozen potato products. I cannot be trusted with turning raw potatoes into anything but a huge mess so I'm all about them. I can bake 'em, boil 'em, or mash 'em but I can't fry 'em to save my life. Frozen tater tots are my passion. My first love. I'm also a huge fan of the little potato cubes... hash browns, maybe?

I also keep a bag of Rhodes frozen bread dough in my freezer. For shame.

As a kid, we got our first microwave when I was in seventh grade.. I remember hating everything that came out of it.. The only thing worth while were these microwave french fries.. They were called like Magic Fries or something.. It was this square box and each fry came in its own holder.. I remember them being very good..

Frozen potstickers from Costco (do they still have the Panda on the label?) or Trader Joe's

Frozen beef tamales from Costco - for a 3-minute countdown to dinner

The refrigerated meat lasagna from TJ

Frozen Totino's Pepperoni Pizza - a true guilty pleasure

Frozen peas, frozen edamame

Frozen potstickers from Costco (do they still have the Panda on the label?) or Trader Joe's

Frozen beef tamales from Costco - for a 3-minute countdown to dinner

The refrigerated meat lasagna from TJ

Frozen Totino's Pepperoni Pizza - a true guilty pleasure

Frozen peas, frozen edamame

I'll see your Frozen Totino's Pepperoni Pizza and up it to a Frozen Totino's Meat Combination Pizza (with extra mozz on top) for "a true guilty pleasure"!

MMMMM...but, somehow I can never wait until it cools enough so the pizza doesn't incinerate the roof of my mouth when I eat it!

LaurieB - You're welcome. Good Luck on your cookbook!

Currently in my freezer:

Bertagni Spinach and Ricotta Ravioloni

Trader Joe's Thai Shrimp Gyoza (this may get me some jeers but this is the absolute only Trader Joe's product I like. Which is a real shame because I live right across the street from it!)

Pepperidge Farm Garlic Texas Toast

Texas Toast-style bread (One should never be too far away from possible french toast!)

Capogiro Gelato (Pistacchio Siciliano, Stracciatella & Zenzero con Sesamo)

Limoncello

Vodka

Pancetta rounds

Bacon

Butter

Pecans

Yeast

LOL! re: CMA's pizza comment above. We made pizza on Sunday and that little spot on the roof of my mouth behind the front two teeth is still recovering from the molten cheese!

enjoy!

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I'm a big fan of most frozen potato products.  I cannot be trusted with turning raw potatoes into anything but a huge mess so I'm all about them.  I can bake 'em, boil 'em, or mash 'em but I can't fry 'em to save my life.  Frozen tater tots are my passion.  My first love.  I'm also a huge fan of the little potato cubes... hash browns, maybe? 

I also keep a bag of Rhodes frozen bread dough in my freezer.  For shame.

I have to agree with this. I have always loved frozen french fries (Giant used to have the best ones - out of the area now, so I don't know). I fry them, no baking. I suspect in my little, tiny, non-scientific brain that frozen fries are the basically the same as oil blanched fries - just frozen and that, in frying them at home, I am doing the same thing as I do when I double fry them at 325 then at 375. When I cook frozen fries, I get a crisp crust and a fluffy, potato-y interior - just exactly how the 'perfect' fries are described in recipes, but how they never are - even in good restaurants.

Something that this thread has brought out it a thing that always astounds and perplexes me (and is probably another thread - if so, I am sorry and feel free to delete me here!): why would you (I mean this generally, not any one person specifically) care what I eat??? I have never gotten that. I see people on line who are truly appalled that I love Yankee Doodles and Tater Tots and people in my real life that are stunned (and seem to take it personally - like by doing that I am criticizing them for not doing that) that I would cook Thomas Keller's stocks from scratch and enjoy it. Why in the world do either of those groups care??? :wacko:

Star brand GranPesto Tigullio alla Tosca http://www.star.it/default.aspx?idPage=152

This stuff is amazing. All you do is cook pasta and toss through. It has no preservatives, and a wonderful delicate flavour.

Olio di semi di girasole (36,3%), carciofi, ricotta (10%)(siero di latte, latte, panna, sale), noci (9%), patate, sciroppo di glucosio, formaggio grana padano DOP (con proteine dell'uovo), formaggio pecorino romano DOP, sale, aglio, fibra vegetale, correttore di acidità acido lattico.

Sunflower oil, artichokes, ricotta, walnuts, potatoes, glucose syrup, grana padano, pecorino, salt, garlic, lactic acid.

I can only find mention of it online in Italian. Trust me, if you ever see it, you must try it. I use it for nights when I cannot be faffed cooking.

:unsure: Stuff I currently have:

Frozen ravioli things that I got from costo, they taste decent and awesome for a quick, filling snack when rushed for time.

Frozen Corndogs (I know :blush: But bf loves them and they're not THAT bad)

Frozen potstickers from trader joes

Frozen Eggo waffles (no room on counter for waffle makers to make my own)

Frozen organic sweet corn kernels from TJ's :wub:

Frozen pot pies (Yum!)

Frozen seasoned fries.

Lol. seems like i have so much snack foods . :huh::raz::laugh::