• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch and Dinner in West Yorkshire

I'm an exiled Huddersfuddlian (that's really what people from Huddersfield are called - isn't it great?). Don't take any notice of Simon. What can someone know of food when he comes from Rotherham?  :smile:

There is decent food to be had round those parts. But you have to look carefully. Guellers in Leeds is said to be superb. I haven't been but I ate Simon Gueller's cooking when he was at Rascasse, and he is very good indeed. I believe Andy has experience of his cooking too.

I've never eaten in Brighouse and it's a bit of a hole TBH. My advice would be to go into Leeds.

If you find yourself in Huddersfield, then I recommend Mustard & Punch in Honley, about three miles south of the town. My family ate there a couple of weeks ago to celebrate my Mum's birthday, and it was good. I had braised pig's cheek to start, which was OK, but the sauce was perhaps a bit too sticky, and lamb three ways (sweetbread, fillet and a tiny 'shepherd's pie' - a pastry case filled with meat and topped with potato) for main. That was very good indeed. I would have written a full review, but my Dad and I got stuck into some nice shiraz from d'Arenberg and so I forgot to take notes. But it was an enjoyable meal.

The other place I have always really liked is The Weaver's Shed at Golcar, about five miles from Huddersfield. They have rooms, so you could stay there (I presume they must be on the web these days). I once had a starter there billing itself 'Posh Pie and Peas' which was a small, home-made pork pie with a superb pea puree, and - scarily - their own take on brown sauce. It was a bit odd, but really, really good. Think Paul Heathcote or Gary Rhodes but a bit less exalted. They usually have superb local cheeses which they serve with Old Peculier Cake.

cheers

Adam

Thats more like it!

And would you believe it but I've been to Honley and walked past Mustard and Punch.

My brother in law lived there about six year ago and I went to stay for one night. We went into Bradford and had a curry to forget.

I will look up Guellers as well. Maybe I can squeeze in all three if I really try.

working in leeds i would highly recommend Guellers, it is now fully back on form following a much publicised difficult patch. Front of house is handled superbly by Belgian Denis who is an excellent sommelier and if you show interest wil show you some interesting gems he's hidden on the wine list. Cooking is usually pretty faultless and can be v good value too at lunchtime. Evening a la carte can throw up a few annoying supplements but i've never eaten badly there. For a 'business lunch' of the bottle of red steak and bearnaise variety try la grillade. i rarely eat anywhere else in leeds than these two. Further afield the star at harome is worth a trip, (went yesterday and will give full report later) as is winteringham fields which for the dedicated foodie one of the best restaurants you will dine in, knocks the socks off every 3 star i've been in. Might be worth a trip Mr Majumdar!

you don't win friends with salad

There you go. I'm spoilt for choice.

Winteringham Fields is a long way but it is on  the motorway and it does look good. Anyway I just love a restaurant that has the initiative and gumption to write on its web site  "If you wish to be picked up from the station in Doncaster, please let us know in advance and we will be pleased to send a car for you. Some of our guests prefer to arrive by helicopter; landing facilities are available nearby in the village."

Now thats my image of a real e-gulleteer

:biggrin:

Thanks for all your help. My meeting is now next week but I will post a note to say how it went and where would let me in.

• 1 year later...
For a 'business lunch' of the bottle of red steak and bearnaise variety try la grillade.

On a flying visit to Leeds this weekend, I went to La Grillade on Saturday night with five chums. Not a fine start to the night - the taxi company lost our booking and despite phoning the restaurant and telling them we'd be half an hour or so late for our reservation we were still kept waiting at the bar for half an hour (or so. We managed to down two bottles of wine in that time, so could have been longer :wink: ).

Starter: Scallops in lobster sauce. Both were tasteless. Not good. But managed to cadge a slice of chum's boudin noir, which was excellently spicy.

Main: Venison in pepper sauce. Hmm. This combination was new to me. Venison medallions nice and pink in the middle, as I'd asked for. In contrast with the tasteless lobster sauce in the starter, the pepper sauce was overpowering (tongue of fire syndrome) and the accompanying bubble and squeak was acceptable filler, but no more. Someone else's rare steak, on the other hand, was very good. Again, I jumped the wrong way. Tant pis.

Dessert: Chagrined by the lack of tarte aux pommes, I plumped for the tarte au citron. Not bad. Very good cheese board, for those who like that sort of thing. Have to say that at this stage, after a bottle and a half of very nice Madiran and a glass or three of Muscat de Beaumes de Venise, critical faculties were getting somewhat clouded. Then the service, which had been frustratingly erratic all night (we think the owner was in and everyone was uptight about it), disappeared totally and we were left to grumpily rescue our own coats.

All in all, a night of bad to middling choices (for me) and annoying service. Perhaps we should have gone to No 3 York Place instead.

For a 'business lunch' of the bottle of red steak and bearnaise variety try la grillade.

despite phoning the restaurant and telling them we'd be half an hour or so late for our reservation we were still kept waiting at the bar for half an hour (or so. We managed to down two bottles of wine in that time, so could have been longer :wink: ).

Starter: Scallops in lobster sauce. Both were tasteless. Not good. But managed to cadge a slice of chum's boudin noir, which was excellently spicy.

Main: Venison in pepper sauce. Hmm. This combination was new to me. Venison medallions nice and pink in the middle, as I'd asked for. In contrast with the tasteless lobster sauce in the starter, the pepper sauce was overpowering (tongue of fire syndrome) and the accompanying bubble and squeak was acceptable filler, but no more. Someone else's rare steak, on the other hand, was very good. Again, I jumped the wrong way. Tant pis.

Dessert: Chagrined by the lack of tarte aux pommes, I plumped for the tarte au citron. Not bad. Very good cheese board, for those who like that sort of thing. Have to say that at this stage, after a bottle and a half of very nice Madiran and a glass or three of Muscat de Beaumes de Venise, critical faculties were getting somewhat clouded. Then the service, which had been frustratingly erratic all night (we think the owner was in and everyone was uptight about it), disappeared totally and we were left to grumpily rescue our own coats.

All in all, a night of bad to middling choices (for me) and annoying service. Perhaps we should have gone to No 3 York Place instead.

ahh, i could have guessed the restaurant from the review alone :biggrin:

erratic service and waits for tables are all part of the typical french charm! and you will almost certainly be correct that the staff were jumpy because the boss is in town. they have suffered from lack of a decent maitre d for a while now, although they do tend to try and get authentic french staff!

to be fair we usually don't mind waiting for a table as its chance to blow a few cobwebs off before getting stuck into the house (literally, Guy laval the restaurant owner, owns chateaur auris) red a very gluggable corbieres, and we rarley have a booking so tend to bully our way in, (customers eh who'd have them!).

Number 3 (old guellers) is a much more polished affair, michelin starred territory, whereas LG's is definitley a brasserie/bistro. As you discovered, stray away from steak and a sauce and the food can be a bit hit and miss (indeed i don't think i've had anything else and if i have a starter its onion soup/salad aux lardons/ boudin-not all together though). The atmosphere is generally what brings the punters in and its been a fixture on the leeds business circuit for years so it's much more a lunch place than dinner, but there's little in leeds in the way of sensible restaurants. The majority are either chains/fashion oriented.

if you're ever back try no3, or perhaps sous les nez.

• 7 years later...

an old thread I know, but not seeing much said about Huddersfield lately, can anyone recommend somewhere decent for lunch within taxi distance? seems that Golcar is no longer an option, and after something more serious than light lunch in a cookshop... perhaps tapas at ripponden is the best bet?

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

Gary, you are a cheeky sod but sadly quite correct, my beloved Millbank in my village, has closed. I too would suggest a lunch or dinner at El Gato. I went again last week and every dish was spot on. Only open for lunch on Friday and sat now and from 3pm till 8pm on Sunday. Dinner us wednesday onwards. Make sure you book though, it was filling up rapidly when I popped in at 6.30 to make a booking. PM me for more details and best way to get there by all means Ian.

• 7 months later...

LA CACHETTE, ELLAND (between Halifax & Huddersfield)

It’s a bit of an odd sort of place. Presumably originally a pub, most of the fittings remain – from the wooden booths to the large bar that greets you as you enter. I say “greet” but, in truth, it’s a bit off-putting as you don’t know if you’ve walked into a bar or restaurant. Particularly when staff walking past don’t acknowledge you. And particularly when you’re left standing at the bar having been handed menus.

But that’s not the only aspect of La Cachette that’s a bit odd. The other is that, in spite of its name, it isn’t French. Although there are some slightly odd and slightly pretentious nods towards the Gallic - as in calling the very well priced set menu the “menu du soir”. Not that this menu has anything French on it – apart from the “soup du jour”, that is. No, everything there – like almost everything on the main carte - is very much in a modern Brit bistro style. And it was the main menu we ordered from – well, we can get a sixteen quid three courser without having to drive the best part of an hour.

And, even here, there is more of the slight silliness. For example, starters are split into two listings – “dishes to begin” and “signature starters”. And so are mains – “main plates” and “signature mains”. You really do wish they’d get over themselves. And they so easily could, because the dishes really appeal to the reader.

As in a starter (or, as they’d have it, a “dish to begin”) of pigeon and pheasant faggots. Three well flavoured balls of meat, elegantly sat on top of mushy peas and surrounded by a good onion gravy. I liked. My partner also liked hers – onion tart or, as they’d have it, “French onion tart”. Good crisp pastry, oniony filling, a little crisp salad with a good dressing.

Calves liver was still just about “medium”. The accompanying three rashers of dry cured bacon were excellent. Veg were nothing more than a couple of cherry tomatoes. But there were good chips. No, there were actually stunningly good chips. Fried in dripping – proper chips, not the ubiquitous “fat chips”. Crisp but with that hint of floppiness that distinguishes a chip from a fry. A bit oversalted for my taste but I forgive them that. Hells bells, for chips like those, I forgive them all the afore-mentioned silliness.

The other main, one of two specials that evening, was a pan fried halibut loin. It came sat on a bed of artichokes, chorizo and peas. It was a great looking dish and great tasting – except for the slightly overcooked fish which had turned a bit pappy. Shame.

Desserts were underwhelming. Lemon polenta cake was full of citrus flavour but was very, erm, solid. But there was a nice raspberry compote and some Chantilly cream. A home style favourite for me – a slice of rich fruitcake and a slice of Wensleydale. Would have been lovely if the cheese hadn’t been fridge cold. When I mentioned this, there was an immediate apology and no charge made – fair play to them.

Service was fine – up until trying to get the bill and then trying to pay it. Took ages. On the plus side, La Cachette has a decent list of well priced wines, several of them available by the glass or 500ml carafe. I reckon if we were more local, it’d become a regular haunt.

John Hartley

cachette has been around longer than me, i wonder if it's changed hands, i'm pretty sure it was part of sous le nez which was as gallic as they come or maybe just a makeover?

eta: looks like they are still related and have both gone less french.

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

Change of hands may be spot on Gary.

The 2012 Good Food Guide lists the chef as Jonathon Nichols. The front of house bloke, who seemed to be The Boss, was called Jonathon. Same bloke would be my guess. Perhaps he's bought out whoever previously owned it.

John Hartley

Seeing as everyone's talking about Leeds, i'll add some relevance. Went to Anthony's Piazza on Friday and left pretty flat. Baked camembert with garlic tasted good but needed a proper whack of acid, maybe a pickle or something. Partner's squash risotto was good if a little eratically seasoned. Shared a cote de boeuf (32oz inc. bone, £42), tasted of char and not much else, really poor quality beef. Small portion of bearnaise on a bizarrely flat dish was ok. Server knew very little about the menu or drinks, on about 5 occasions between our table and the two next to us, he had to go and check on things. All in all, I wouldn't bother.