• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Uses for Mayonnaise

NulloModo

I havent had Hain's safflower mayo for years, but I remember liking it a lot. I may have to pick up a jar again.

We usually use Best Foods (aka Hellman's). I like the light version but the Mr doesnt. We were just shipped a jar of Duke's by a friend.

The ingredient list is similar to BF, tho minus a few preservatives, and with more egg than water.

Of the two, Duke's is much tangier, also a much stronger aftertaste from the oil (soybean for both brands). The ultimate test will be on the next round of tomato-bacon sandwiches. I love taste-tests!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 7 months later...

I am so disappointed to report that Duke's light mayonnaise no longer tastes like I remember it tasting. It has a distinct 'Miracle Whip' sweetness that I never detected before. The tanginess is still there, but WHY IS IT SWEET? Was it always this way and my tastebuds that have changed?

At least the Wegman's light mayo still tastes fine to me. Sheesh.

ETA: I have nothing against Miracle Whip. But I use it when I want to- it's not very often, but occasionally for nostalgic purposes..... :wink:

Edited by Sony (log)

Plain old Best Foods. Plus it doctors up nicely with other flavors when needed.

I like consistency when it comes to basic mayo. I liked my mama's when she made it, but I don't have the gene to make her recipe just right so I stick to Best Foods. I've had too many homemade ones by others that have too much or too little of something.

Top of fridge door always holds a quart of Blue Plate for me and all the cooking uses, and beside it, a flat Kraft with the blue flip-top for Chris. He likes it on sandwiches, burgers, and a bit of Pink Sauce (Kraft and a squirt of Heinz Ketchup, doctored up with lemon, Worchestershire, garlic, lime---whatever the whim of the moment) on any kind of cold or fried seafood.

When we make a Georgia trip, we pick up a couple of cases of Duke's---there's just something about that TANG that reminds me of other days, other kitchens.

And last week, I bought a quart of Hellman's Canola---with the coupon it was a dollar. Everybody in the house has remarked on its consistency not being "right" but when stirred into potato salad, it was fine. Especially with the requisite teaspoon of Durkee's Sauce :wub:

When there are just a few scrapings left in the jar, in go the makings of one of several kinds of salad dressings---dill, Ranch (homemade with dill pickle juice, just salty enough, without any of the buttermilk), Thousand, bleu cheese---all depending on the salad for that night. They line up in the top slots, as well, and when they are emptied, out goes that container. There's always a fresh one waiting in line.

Edited by racheld (log)

• 1 month later...

I must confess to being a "Brand snob" for many years. Now that I am retired, and watching my pennies a little more, I will go to the store brand on many items. However there are two items where my brand loyalty will never waiver.

Mayo = Hellmann's

Worchestershire = Lea & Perrins

There are a few things that are not permitted in my house;

Minute rice

Instant potatoes

Miracle whip

Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages

Mmm, mayo!

Well, we have Hellman's on hand at the moment, and that'll do. When I can find it (which is almost never locally it seems), I adore the Delouis Fils mayo from France. It has a rich flavour and a nice Dijon mustard kick to it. I'll have it by itself on bread, in sandwiches, with meats, as a dip for veggies or whatever, but especially love to stir it into scrambled eggs.

When the Hellman's runs out, I'll be making this:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=61958&st=30#

Thank you for that bleudauvergne!

What???  No mention of Blue Plate mayo????  It's *the* mayonnaise of New Orleans, where the per-capita consumption of mayo is probably highest in the world.

I believe Racheld has Blue Plate on the top shelf of her refrigerator! :wink:

Hellmans ( Best Foods) mayo has been available here in New Zealand for a few years now. And Im grateful for it. Use it commercially for sandwiches/rolls/dressed salads etc and only make our own if it is for guests to spoon themselves or a flavoured one such as avocado or smoked paprika. There is a visual difference IMO and I dont want my customers knowing I cheat. :biggrin:

And cheat I do.

Thanks Hellmans, you have no peer on the supermarket shelves here.

• 4 weeks later...

I've made mayo at home a few times, but always in the Cuisinart. That was until the other week when Michael Ruhlman's blog entry on mayonaise inspired me to make it by hand with a whisk.

The difference between what I made and what comes out of the Hellman's jar (the only store bought kind that I have ever used) is amzing. The hand made stuff was so thick and creamy. And totally smooth. It's not "fluffy" and airy like the Hellmans.

Will I ever buy even a premium store brand ever again? We'll see.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 2 weeks later...
What???  No mention of Blue Plate mayo????  It's *the* mayonnaise of New Orleans, where the per-capita consumption of mayo is probably highest in the world.

MMM-HMMM I do!!! Just looked back in on this, and had a look at the label---made by Reilly Foods in New Orleans. If you got any more Southern, you'd need a snorkel to keep from drowning in the Gulf.

I'd also forgotten to mention that I did learn, years ago, to make "dinner plate" mayo, with a fork. It was my own Mammaw's recipe, with an egg yolk, dry mustard, some white or tarragon vinegar, a dash of salt, beaten with plain old "Wesson Oil"---which is, of course, one word where I come from. "Wessinoahl"---the frying, mayo-making, poppyseed dressing whirling, be-all, end-all of the gourmet market of the 60's and 70's South.

You just tilt that plate, throw in the egg and a little sift of the McCormick dry mustard (somehow that's been a standby in kitchens all across the South---kitchens which otherwise boasted no more daring a seasoning than ground cinnamon for the sweet tater pie---and grocery-store McCormick took over when the Watkins man retired from his weekly route).

Dash of salt, slurp of vinegar---tarragon (tare'-gun) especially prized for its exotic nature all around. It's nice to have a friend to help; otherwise you have to prop the plate on a high-folded towel to have one hand free for pouring the oil, which is rightfully poured from the one-cup Pyrex with the red lettering, part of a three-piece set native to every Southern woman's dowry, along with three dozen embroidered pillowslips and the nesting bowls.

Drip drip drip, then thread, then, as it thickens, more volume, more vigorous beating, clanging that fork onto the china like a roundup dinnerbell. And some kind of magic happens; it begins with the first stirring, using the unknown principles of cling and surface tension and centrifugal force or some such, and somehow, nothing escapes that plate; not a drop is lost.

When it's at its perfect fluffiness, with all or most of the oil absorbed---don't be persnickety about getting in the last drop; whole makings have been lost trying to even up the damage done by over-oiling an already-perfect mixture. You just KNOW when.

THEN. Lay the plate down flat and pick up that nice halved sweet onion you've got waiting. Hold it sorta diagonal up several inches from the plate of mayo, and scrape a sharp little knife across the cut surface, counting the drops as they fall from the edge. Exactly ten. No more, no less. Stir them in thoroughly, pinky-tip a teensy blob into your mouth, and check for seasoning. Perfect.

Scrape it into a pretty little bowl and serve alongside some thick, perfect tomato slices, or a nice wedge of tangy aspic (especially a Bloody Mary one), or on a gelled Waldorf. Spread it onto crust-cut bread, lay on some watercress or thin pink curls of Co-Cola baked ham or smoked salmon and roll into little cigarettes.

Make a still-warm 'mater sandwich with a big red round one, right off the vine. Set that bowl out on a lace tablecloth and call it good.

My Mammaw's kitchen forks were like a four-fingered hand---the pinky-tine on one side beaten half-an-inch-shorter than the other three by constant banging against a plate, whipping up that Sunday mayonnaise.

Edited by racheld (log)

MMM-HMMM I do!!! Just looked back in on this, and had a look at the label---made by Reilly Foods in New Orleans. If you got any more Southern, you'd need a snorkel to keep from drowning in the Gulf.

I'd also forgotten to mention that I did learn, years ago, to make "dinner plate" mayo, with a fork. It was my own Mammaw's recipe, with an egg yolk, dry mustard, some white or tarragon vinegar, a dash of salt, beaten with plain old "Wesson Oil"---which is, of course, one word where I come from. "Wessinoahl"---the frying, mayo-making, poppyseed dressing whirling, be-all, end-all of the gourmet market of the 60's and 70's South.

You just tilt that plate, throw in the egg and a little sift of the McCormick dry mustard (somehow that's been a standby in kitchens all across the South---kitchens which otherwise boasted no more daring a seasoning than ground cinnamon for the sweet tater pie---and grocery-store McCormick took over when the Watkins man retired from his weekly route).

Dash of salt, slurp of vinegar---tarragon (tare'-gun) especially prized for its exotic nature all around. It's nice to have a friend to help; otherwise you have to prop the plate on a high-folded towel to have one hand free for pouring the oil, which is rightfully poured from the one-cup Pyrex with the red lettering, part of a three-piece set native to every Southern woman's dowry, along with three dozen embroidered pillowslips and the nesting bowls.

Drip drip drip, then thread, then, as it thickens, more volume, more vigorous beating, clanging that fork onto the china like a roundup dinnerbell. And some kind of magic happens; it begins with the first stirring, using the unknown principles of cling and surface tension and centrifugal force or some such, and somehow, nothing escapes that plate; not a drop is lost.

When it's at its perfect fluffiness, with all or most of the oil absorbed---don't be persnickety about getting in the last drop; whole makings have been lost trying to even up the damage done by over-oiling an already-perfect mixture. You just KNOW when.

THEN. Lay the plate down flat and pick up that nice halved sweet onion you've got waiting. Hold it sorta diagonal up several inches from the plate of mayo, and scrape a sharp little knife across the cut surface, counting the drops as they fall from the edge. Exactly ten. No more, no less. Stir them in thoroughly, pinky-tip a teensy blob into your mouth, and check for seasoning. Perfect.

Scrape it into a pretty little bowl and serve alongside some thick, perfect tomato slices, or a nice wedge of tangy aspic (especially a Blood Mary one), or on a gelled Waldorf. Spread it onto crust-cut bread, lay on some watercress or thin pink curls of Co-Cola baked ham or smoked salmon and roll into little cigarettes.

Make a still-warm 'mater sandwich with a big red round one, right off the vine. Set that bowl out on a lace tablecloth and call it good.

My Mammaw's kitchen forks were like a four-fingered hand---the pinky-tine on one side beaten half-an-inch-shorter than the other three by constant banging against a plate, whipping up that Sunday mayonnaise.

Mayo-You are telling a simple story about making mayo and you do it in a way that transports me back to my gramma's kitchen. Gramma is not in her kitchen, or her house, anymore, but you take me back with the magical way you write. Thank you.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

I'd also forgotten to mention that I did learn, years ago, to make "dinner plate" mayo, with a fork.  It was my own Mammaw's recipe, with an egg yolk, dry mustard, some white or tarragon vinegar, a dash of salt, beaten with plain old "Wesson Oil"---which is, of course, one word where I come from.  "Wessinoahl"---the frying, mayo-making, poppyseed dressing whirling, be-all, end-all of the gourmet market of the 60's and 70's South.

I think this calls for a demo video! Wonderful writing. But video would be really informative. Not sure why the plate is tipped...I guess the oil needs to roll down gently?

I don't remember anyone in my family "making" mayo......always Hellman's and Whip. First introduction to real stuff was in the 60s in Europe. I had no idea it could be that good. Great topic.

Recently, in a moment of desperation when I realized that I had no mayo for the chicken salad sandwiches I promised my kids, I made my own mayo. I think if I made my own mayo all the time, I'd use it more often.

Now that my son has outgrown his egg allergy, we've been bouncing between Best Foods, Kraft and the organic stuff from Trader Joe's. I also picked up some of the McCormicks with lime from the local supermercado.

Cheryl

I love both Hellmans and Kraft but my favorite is the mayo's "step child" mayo, miracle whip. I know it is not mayo but I'd pick that everytime, unless the pick mayo like sandwich spread is around.

Has anyone bought the Olive Oil Hellmans?

I did and it was sweet, and I threw it away.

Was it just my jar?

Oh, thanks for the warning! I've been tempted by the olive oil version for ages and almost bought it this week, but sweetness in mayo is unacceptable to me. I'll know to avoid it.

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back from a whirlwind trip to visit with the Georgia clan. Had some barbecue (so-so) and picked up six quarts of Duke's. The first Publix had the Light version and the Sugar-Free version, but no regular.

The second one, and last resort on the highway out of Atlanta, had six jars on the shelf---no cases to be had. It sells WELL, I take it. They had L and SF versions, as well. Sugar-free?---I never heard of adding it in the first place.

But my tuna sandwich at lunch tasted like Old Times. And our Brit friends will be here for their bi-annual trip next month. They always request a "Southern Barbecue"---cookout with ribs on the grill---so the potato salad and slaw will be perfectly authentic with their addition of Duke's. :wub:

Maybe I won't gasp as much this time as I did at the last party, when a guest put a big clop of mayo on his serving of Caprese.

Tomatoes with mayo are pretty standard british fare. The basil wont mind, tho the mozzarella might protest.

We're out of Duke's, and the tomatoes are ripe. Hoping to score via the internet and mail order.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

There's nothing that fits a ripe tomato slice better than being sandwiched between soft squishy Wonder Bread with a good slather of Duke's or Blue Plate and a sprinkle of salt. Eat with great pleasure and great danger to your apparel.

My gasp was occasioned by the fact that the Caprese platter was flanked by a bottle of Ligurian olive oil and a squat bottle of Balsamic that was reputedly older'n ME. I thought it was such a classy arrangement, and THEN they clopped on the Blue Plate. :laugh::laugh: