• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bull Shot

elswinger

Admin: split from the thread on Dr. Cocktail's book, Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails.

Does the book include a BULL SHOT?

1 1/2 oz Vodka

1 dash Orange Juice

4 dashes Tabasco Sauce

1 dash Peppers

4 oz Beef Bouillon

Combine ingredients in a mixing glass and shake well. Strain into a pint glass over ice, garnish with a twist of orange peel, and serve.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Strange... that's not the common recipe I know for the bullshot. most/all sources have it as essentially a bloody mary in which the tomato juice is substituted with beef broth.

Where does this "orange juice" variation come from?

-Robert

I think I got the recipe of idrink.com or another website (I just cut and pasted it out of google). I have a bunch of cocktail books dating back to the 1920s but they are all boxed up.

BTW, are peppers and bitters the same thing, or by 'peppers' do you think they mean Tabasco?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

idrink... oh, no wonder :->

If by "peppers" they mean "bitters", then that would be the first time I've ever seen it used like this. I would assume they meant "Tabasco"... but then they include tabasco in the recipe as well. I'd personally write that recipe off as being flat-out wrong.

-Robert

Ok, idrink.com's Bull Shot recipe is:

1.0 pinch Salt

1.0 dash Tabasco

1.5 oz. Vodka

3.0 oz. chilled Beef Bouillion

1.0 pinch Pepper

Shake all ingredients with cracked ice, strain into an old-fashioned glass, and serve.

The website I got the previous version was drinksmixer.com. But you are right, it is a Bloody Mary with beef broth instead of tomato juice.