• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top end dining in DFW

ginger chef

hello, travelling to dallas for one week in april and looking for top end restaurants serving modern cuisine along the likes of keller etc.

i have read about lolas and aurora but can find no websites also about the mansion on turtle creek. is there any other places highly recommended.

also what is the dress code in the u.s for lunch and dinner.

your help would be greatly appreciated

here is Aurora. I had a dinner there two weeks ago and it was incredible. We were fortunate enough to be seated in the wine room. Our table did not do the tasting menus, but after everything was over, it was like 6 courses anyway. I would recommend coat and tie for men. NOt required but you might be more comfortable.

And here is Lola's. I have not dined here but everyone says it should be on my list of places to dine.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Lola is fabulous, great food and great environment in a beautiful old bunglaow. Do the tasting menu for dinner (when I was there it was 11 courses), very inventive and everything is spot on well executed. The dress code is probably a little less that Aurora but I wouldn't wear jeans (which Texans do in surprisingly dressy places).

Do lunch at Mansion and have the lobster tacos and the tortilla soup.

As you have heard, try to get to Lola (Tasting Room) and to Aurora. I also suggest York Street which doesn't have a website but you can get a feel for the place from this review.

Star Canyon has been closed for some time now.

Dress Code: I am always amazed by what people get away with wearing in this town. I grew up in the East where you ALWAYS dress for dinner so I still do. My motto is it is better to be overdressed than underdressed. Nevertheless, the restaurants will take your money no matter how you look.

(But the Mansion will put a jacket on you....it may not fit...but you will get a jacket!)

you might want to consider going to Ciudad for Sunday brunch. I found it to be pleasant and a bit different from traditional offerings.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I found the site link for Star Canyon.

http://www.crww.com/starcanyon/index.htm

Star Canyon has been closed for months. Without a doubt go to Lola, either the Tasting Room or the "regular" side of the restaurant. Both are wonderful.

Thanks,

Its been over a year since I've been there. I guess this answers the question as to why it was so hard to find info on them. I knew they closed in Austin but I didn't know they closed in DFW.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

• 4 weeks later...
I heard that NOBU was opening a restaurant in downtown Dallas sometime around March that will be neo-Japanese.

Nobu is opening in the Crescent Court. Was supposed to open around now - but opening has been delayed until the summer (I'm staying at the hotel in May - and that's what the hotel said). Since the hotel won't have a restaurant - hotel guests are invited are dine at the Crescent Club. Is anyone here familiar with it? Robyn