• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Mushrooms

cabrales

Chanterelles, hen of the woods, black trumpets, morels and such are very easy for me to obtain.

Just how easy is "very easy" for me it's a trip into the city and large amounts of money just for dried morels.

Uh, sorry.

But even the Loblaw's grocery chain here carries chanterelles.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Chanterelles, hen of the woods, black trumpets, morels and such are very easy for me to obtain.

Just how easy is "very easy" for me it's a trip into the city and large amounts of money just for dried morels.

Uh, sorry.

Oh i can get dried Chantrelles at most supermarkets here. Even the nearby Costco.

It's the Morels that are a bugger to find.

Are Hen of the Woods even BETTER than MORELS?

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Hen of the Woods taste totally different than morels. They are more of a poultry substitute and texturally they are more like meat. Morels have a very, very distinct flavor that just doesnt exist in other kinds of mushrooms.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Uh, sorry.

Oh i can get dried Chantrelles at most supermarkets here. Even the nearby Costco.

It's the Morels that are a bugger to find.

Are Hen of the Woods even BETTER than MORELS?

No, I mean fresh.

I wouldn't say "better".

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Hen of the Woods taste totally different than morels. They are more of a poultry substitute and texturally they are more like meat.

In other words, they taste like chicken. hahahaha

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Yes: a roasted Hen of the Woods...

Couple of days i made sauteed hens of the woods with parsley and walnuts using a recipe from Schneider precious Vegetables book. It was excellent.

She has a recipe for roasted ones which i intend to try next.

Both Wegmans and Delicious Orchards in my area (central NJ) carry them and although expensive there is no shrinkage, so half pound is a plenty for two.

In truth, any mushroom that will not kill me is my favorite. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmushrooms!  :laugh:

A girl after my own heart...

You know, there are dozens of restaurants who specialize in Truffle Menus and Game Menus.. I would drive far and wide for a restaurant that showcased hard-to-find mushrooms. There are SO MANY I've never had that seem so illusive.

I adore fresh Morels because they are so rare here on the west coast. But we get Lobster mushrooms on occasion that are pretty amazing. Also, 99 Ranch Market gets a pretty fabulous array of Oriental Mushrooms which I always have to try.

For those of you in the midwest who get fresh morels very easily, I heartily recommend Saveur's Pheasant and Morel Pie. I have only made it once and it was divine. (I'm sorry I can't provide a link right now - I've got this hideously huge grey cat in my lap who is barely letting me type!)

In truth, any mushroom that will not kill me is my favorite. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmushrooms!  :laugh:

Agreed. As much as I love morels (colmenillas in Spanish), I love St. George's mushroom (perretxicos), the less subtle agaric (níscalos) which are great stewed with potatoes and peppers or with butifarra, the Catalonian fresh sausage.

But who would refuse the Emperor among the mushrooms, the mushroom of the Caesars (amanita Caesarea), simply served in a carpaccio with a hint of extra virgin olive oil and Maldon salt? Not I, certainly . . .

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

morels. had them at Lutece when I was a little kid and then found them growing on my lawn a few months later. My mom was a very happy lady (and I had a very happy little kid tummy) they are still my favorite..mmmmmmmorels.

or maybe chanterelles....

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Hen of the Woods taste totally different than morels. They are more of a poultry substitute and texturally they are more like meat.

In other words, they taste like chicken. hahahaha

Try a sulfur shelf - tastes more like chicken.

Other great mushrooms:

Puffballs (immature) - slice 'em and use them in place of pizza dough, or hollow them out & stuff them

Huitlacotche - nothing yummier (or cornier)

Hard to pick, mushrooms are just so delicious. In no particular order here are my favourites:

- Boletus aureus, i.e. Porcino Nero: think of an even more aromatic version of the normal Porcino (boletus edulis). The whole cap, grilled.

-Parasol mushrooms, pan fried in butter

-Amanita cesarea (English?), thin raw slices in a salad with parmesan flakes.

-immature puffballs, as the parasol. Never tried on pizza, but next time I find some I'll definitely try that out (thanks nr706 for the tip)

-shaggy mane, Coprinus comatus, cooked before it starts to go black.

-chanterelles, especially the brown capped ones.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Porcini :wub:

Isn't there a story about a famous composer (Rossini?) who only cried twice in his life-- when his mother died, and when a roast chicken stuffed with porcinis fell overboard during a dinner party on a boat?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

have you noticed that the more difficult to find a mushroom, the more delicious it seems?

I grew up in Asia where you can buy a bag of Oyster Mushrooms for a dollar. Enoki is also a dollar a bag. Ditto Shitake... i never liked Shitake or Oyster Mushroom, probably because I could get them anytime I liked for a song.

Morels on the other hand, requires me an hour drive into the city. CDN 140/lb of dried morels. To me they taste divine. Porcini is a mere CDN 30/lb. They dont really excite me.

Does this rarity to yummy factor work for you?

Puffballs (immature) - slice 'em and use them in place of pizza dough, or hollow them out & stuff them

Gotta be careful with those immature puffballs, though - easy to confuse with immature Death Angels if you're not absolutely sure on the identification!

(lifelong wild mushroom hunter and eater, and still alive :smile: )

V

• 9 months later...

And truffles fell out of the family because ... ?

Amanita caesarea

Amanita rubescens

Morels

Boletes

Candy Caps

Maitake

Honshimeji

Hedgehogs

Lactaria indigo

Matsutake

Chanterelles

Trompettes de mort