• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Restaurants in New Jersey

Rosie

Had lunch today from  "A Taste of Thai" on Broad St. in Ridgewood.  We all enjoyed our meals.  We had Vegetable w/brown rice in Thai Basil sauce, good heat without burning, Chicken w/Red Curry - this was really good in my humble opinion - I like to taste the coconut flavor without it being over sweet - this was just right.

Someone had the pad thai noodles - they said the flavor was very good but the dish was a little dry.

The owner herself drove the delivery over to us in Fair Lawn, she could not be any nicer.  She was very polite and thanked us for ordering and wished us a good meal.

Any other feedback on Taste of Thai.

yes, the owner is so gracious and nice. Food to me , was disappointing although the place is spacious and pretty. Been there 3 times now and was most disappointed with the pad thai. Tiny shrimp, thats a turn off right away. They have some interesting , different fish dishes for a thai place like chilean sea bass. Portion was small and not worth the money.

Try the newest Thai in Ridgewood, Ridge Thai. It is small but the pad thai I had for lunch was excellent and the food smelled great.

Our favorites are still the place in hackensack wondee, although its a ride for us but worth it because its so inexpensive, portions are huge and its bring your own.

And, Thai House in Nyack never disappoints us and we've going there for many years.

Thanks for the feedback. Where is Ridge Thai?

I found Thai Chef in Montclair to be a bit too Americanized for my tastes. Top quality ingredients, properly cooked & beautifully presented, but the flavorings seemed restrained.

Wondee's still sets the standard for the way I like my Thai food. I still have to get to Brookside though & see if I like them as well.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

We just tried Ridge Thai last night. The food is delicious, although maybe not as "authentic" as Wondee's. For example, the Tom Kah Gai soup... the soup liquid was excellent, quite flavorful. But it was more refined than I've had it elsewhere (including Wondee's). By this I mean all the inedible bits of lemongrass, galangal, etc., were strained out, then the soup was fortified with sliced chicken breast, onions, mushrooms & bell peppers. The taste was there, but it isn't the same experience. The breast meat was overcooked, as it tends to be everywhere when served in soup (yes, including Wondee's). Other dishes we tried included the spring rolls (good), Tom Yung Goon soup (good, but could have been hotter and more sour), penang and massaman curries (I thought the massaman was very good, I didn't try the penang, as Jason ordered it "Bangkok hot"), I ordered the tamarind duck, which was very good. It was another example of Americanized refinement, as it was served boneless.

Overall, the portions were decent, while not being overly generous, and the prices were on the high side, without being ridiculous. I think I liked it better than Pimaan. We were introducing a friend to Thai food, and chose Ridge Thai for the location and because we've been wanting to try it, but our next Thai experience with this friend will have to be Wondee's.

Whenever I am in NJ a trip to Brookside Thai is a must. I will admit that I am good friends with the owners.

I do notice a lot of people order the fried red snapper. I am not a fish fan so I always have TV fix me something else.

The desserts are great too. They serve homemade ice cream.

Now I am hungry!

-Scott

Scott, it's so funny that you should mention the deep fried snapper because a couple that were sitting next to us ordered it. We're not fish eaters, but, the couple that ordered it seemed to really be enjoying it.

I love their coconut ice cream! We've enjoyed everything so far and we always try and order different things and they haven't let us down yet.

They recently broke thru to the store next to them and opened a market. A really vast selection of Thai items and fresh produce, too.

It's just a great place.

Edited by nizza (log)

Oh yeah the market is cool. They actually had me searching for some vegetables down here in FL that they couldn't find during the winter in China Town.

Next time try the ginger ice cream and sticky rice is good too.

I like the curry puffs appetizer as well.

-Scott

We just tried Ridge Thai last night. The food is delicious, although maybe not as "authentic" as Wondee's. For example, the Tom Kah Gai soup... the soup liquid was excellent, quite flavorful. But it was more refined than I've had it elsewhere (including Wondee's). By this I mean all the inedible bits of lemongrass, galangal, etc., were strained out, then the soup was fortified with sliced chicken breast, onions, mushrooms & bell peppers. The taste was there, but it isn't the same experience. The breast meat was overcooked, as it tends to be everywhere when served in soup (yes, including Wondee's). Other dishes we tried included the spring rolls (good), Tom Yung Goon soup (good, but could have been hotter and more sour), penang and massaman curries (I thought the massaman was very good, I didn't try the penang, as Jason ordered it "Bangkok hot"), I ordered the tamarind duck, which was very good. It was another example of Americanized refinement, as it was served boneless.

Overall, the portions were decent, while not being overly generous, and the prices were on the high side, without being ridiculous. I think I liked it better than Pimaan. We were introducing a friend to Thai food, and chose Ridge Thai for the location and because we've been wanting to try it, but our next Thai experience with this friend will have to be Wondee's.

Funny Rachel but we took friends to Wondee's last nt and they didn't love it.

Be careful, its not for everyone!!

I love their soup, my friend liked Thai House's food better altogether.

I need to try Ridge thai for dinner, was it crowded?

I still think Thai house in Nyack is the best with the nicest atmosphere, best service and great food. U should go try it again!!

Ok, I will try the ginger ice cream which will probably be soon as some friends we took there last month want to go back and have wanted to to try the sticky rice.

I just love the curry puffs along with the chicken satay. Last time we tried the beef satay and I think I like it better than the chicken.

I wish they would bottle that delicious dipping sauce that comes out with the satay. It's clear and has bits of red pepper,cucumber and onions. I could put that on anything. It is just delicious.

Tell your friend to keep up the good work, that his diners really appreciate it and by the look of how busy the restaurant is becoming I think they will be around for a long time.

Thanks Nizza. I will call TV this week and let her know. I am sure if you ask she might give you some of the sauce to go. They give me some peanut sauce to take home.

Ask for TV who is the owners daughter and tell her that Scott from FL said hi!

Had lunch today from  "A Taste of Thai" on Broad St. in Ridgewood.  We all enjoyed our meals.  We had Vegetable w/brown rice in Thai Basil sauce, good heat without burning, Chicken w/Red Curry - this was really good in my humble opinion - I like to taste the coconut flavor without it being over sweet - this was just right.

Someone had the pad thai noodles - they said the flavor was very good but the dish was a little dry.

The owner herself drove the delivery over to us in Fair Lawn, she could not be any nicer.  She was very polite and thanked us for ordering and wished us a good meal.

Any other feedback on Taste of Thai.

yes, the owner is so gracious and nice. Food to me , was disappointing although the place is spacious and pretty. Been there 3 times now and was most disappointed with the pad thai. Tiny shrimp, thats a turn off right away. They have some interesting , different fish dishes for a thai place like chilean sea bass. Portion was small and not worth the money.

Try the newest Thai in Ridgewood, Ridge Thai. It is small but the pad thai I had for lunch was excellent and the food smelled great.

Our favorites are still the place in hackensack wondee, although its a ride for us but worth it because its so inexpensive, portions are huge and its bring your own.

And, Thai House in Nyack never disappoints us and we've going there for many years.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you - We went to Ridge Thai tonight and we loved it - I had the red curry with Shrimp and I found it just right for my taste - spicy with a touch of sweet - there must have been about 8 big shrimp swimming around in my curry - I kept pulling out more - I can't remember the last time I had a shrimp dish that had more than 5 or 6 shrimp tops if you were lucky. The shrimp was cooked just right and tasted amazing with the curry - My husband had a seafood combo dish, garlic sauce and he loved it - all the fish was cooked perfect. The people who worked there were very nice and at 8:30 it was pretty crowded. I really enjoyed the decor - greens and gold. I am already picturing my leftover curry with some brown rice for lunch (heck maybe breakfast) for tomorrow - We will definitely be going back for more.

Edited by Deldino (log)

My leftover Red Curry was just as good leftover as it was the first time I ate it - I just simmered some snow peas, zucchini and pepper in the curry sauce and made some brown rice to soak up all the saucy goodness and it was yummy..

• 2 months later...

I went to Ridge Thai about about 2 weeks ago o so and it seemed different. The wait staff was different and the buddhas were off the wall. Also the whole time we were eating there was radio music blasting, and I mean we could sing along loud, from the kitchen. The food seemed a little different also. Does anyone know if there are new owners?

Edited by Deldino (log)

went to wondee's this past weekend for the first time. the other few times i've tried to go there i forget that the restaurant is closed on mondays, lol.

the fried tofu appetizer and chicken pad krapow were both very good. the duck dish that we ordered was mediocre. service was not good either - the waitstaff was not that attentive and just stood around chatting amongst themselves. another table had to send someone up to ask for their check.

two of the dishes were good enough that i'll go back and give it another try, but i was expecting more and a little disappointed after reading the reviews here.

Which duck dish?

What day did you go? Friday? Saturday? Sunday? Usually the staff is very attentive. Who was working your table, the older lady or one of the younger people?

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Which duck dish?

What day did you go? Friday? Saturday? Sunday? Usually the staff is very attentive. Who was working your table, the older lady or one of the younger people?

we got there early enough friday evening that there was just one other table of customers and the staff was eating dinner.

i forget the name of the dish, but it was the boneless duck with pineapple, coconut milk and some other things. one of the younger people waited on our table - i don't believe they were cold, necessarily, but that they could have paid better attention to their patrons.

Yeah, next time you go, get the older lady's attention and let her know about it. She's very attentive.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

[[ Siam Thai Cuisine - Fort Lee.  Mid-range in both price and quality. ]]

dissenting opinion here. I say a lot better than mid range in quality. You get reasonable prices and terrific food at Siam Thai Cuisine in Fort Lee.

[[  Very nice atmosphere (it's got big glass windows) ]]

agree. Plus the owners are so delightful. A true mom 'n pop place: Thai wife/chef and her American husband manager/schmoozer.

[[ but the parking is a bit difficult ]]

untrue!! they have a huge lot in the back. have to walk up a full flight of steps from the lot to the restaurant, but somebody can be dropped off in front while the car is being parked.

[[  You can achieve very spicy food with the condiments they give you, but for me it's never quite as good as a place where it's cooked to the spicyness I want. ]]

I like intensely flavorful but not hot spicy, which ruins my palate. For me the food is totally delicious and interesting and fun.

I went there last week and I'm going back tonight. Just love the place.

Siam Thai Restaurant, 89 Main Street, Fort Lee, NJ 201-242-7426

Marge

Went to Brookside Thai for the first time this weekend. I found the food to be quite good, with a couple of hits, and only one miss. The pad thai was very good, very delicate believe it or not. We had sweet and sour chicken, which was good as well. We had a mixed seafood dish with garlic which was okay..the sauce was good, the seafood was not. All in all I found their food to be a bit more delicately prepared than Wondees, not as greasy. Wondees being the standard for comparison. The atmosphere is much cozier than Wondees, and the service was good. All in all, they are both very good and, with the inclusion of Sri Thai in Hoboken, the best that I have tried.