• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Restaurants in New Jersey

Rosie

I'm a-scared. Why does no one seem to mention Thai Thai in Stirling? Really my favorite place to grab lunch when I could escape for long enough... Or has something frightening happened since they renovated and reopened (and during which time I've moved to TX)? :sad:

An odd alien wench

Anybody been to Bua Thai in Belleville? They're at 137 Washington Ave. I've walked past it a few times but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Nobody here has mentioned it yet.

I love Sripraphai in Queens, NY but I don't get a chance to go there very often since I live in north Newark, and compared to them, most other Thai places are just plain lousy.

-Ike

Looking through this thread, I see I never added our favorite Thai restaurant, Pooket II, in Old Bridge, to the list here.

Since I last reported on it, we have had many more meals there, including dinner last night. The food continues to be consistently well-prepared and delicious. When we first started going there, the food we were served was not particularly spicy. During a conversation with one of the owners, he confirmed what I suspected -- that they were leary of scaring off local clientele who might not be very familiar with Thai cuisine and/or might not like their food too hot. However, he told us that the kitchen would be happy to raise the spice level to meet a diner's preference. While I prefer that my food be only a little spicy, my husband likes his hot, hot, hot. Since that conversation, he always asks for the heat to be turned up, and the kitchen has complied to my husband's satisfaction. The server also brings additional hot pepper condiments to the table so he can really pour it on!

You can see my prior write-ups here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...85&hl=pooket+ii

Joe at Saigon Republic just told me recently that not only is a Thai Chef about to open in Englewood, but ANOTHER Thai restaurant is about to occupy the adjoining store space next to Wild Ginger. Apparently, its the SAME OWNERS as Thai Chef as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm a-scared.  Why does no one seem to mention Thai Thai in Stirling? Really my favorite place to grab lunch when I could escape for long enough...  Or has something frightening happened since they renovated and reopened (and during which time I've moved to TX)?  :sad:

Do not fear! Thai Thai is alive and well. We found it after the expansion, so I can't comment on what changes may have transpired. The food and service are excellent. We dined at Origin in Somerville this past Friday for the first time. Had expected great things after reading wonderful reviews. Everything we ordered was very good, but it did not knock my socks off! We prefer Thai Thai to Origin. The service at Thai Thai is friendlier, the restaurant is larger and not as cramped and noisy as Origin. Origin is closer to home, but I just don't get all the hype. For price, food and service, Thai Thai is the place for us! :biggrin:

KathyM

Update: the Thai restaurant opening in Englewood next to Wild Ginger is to be called "Kratiem". Its going to be in the place of an Italian joint called Buono Cibo that closed down.

"Kratiem" means GARLIC in Thai.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the update -- according to Wondee at Wondee's restaurant in Hackensack, Kratiem is in fact owned by the former manager of Thai Chef in Montclair, not a relative. They are going head to head with Thai Chef in Englewood.

We drove by Kratiem today, there are tables set up already with tablecloths and it looks like the place will open any day now. Thai Chef still looks like it is several weeks from opening as they are still doing some construction.

in the interest of completeness, some discussion on Clark's Thailand here.

i've stopped here for lunch probably 8 times.  every time they've been closed.  :angry:

You are nothing if not persistent. I admire your tenacity - I'd stop trying after the first four times if I still found them closed.

Update on the update -- according to Wondee at Wondee's restaurant in Hackensack, Kratiem is in fact owned by the former manager of Thai Chef in Montclair, not a relative. They are going head to head with Thai Chef in Englewood.

We drove by Kratiem today, there are tables set up already with tablecloths and it looks like the place will open any day now. Thai Chef still looks like it is several weeks from opening as they are still doing some construction.

According to Joe at Saigon Republic, the 2 Thai restaurants soon to open in Englewood are owned by the same family! They apparently came in to Saigon and tried to recruit KT to cook for them!!!

Not the same family. I originally got this information from Joe as well, but Wondee corrected me, as she knows both owners, since they dine at her restaurant.

• 3 weeks later...

Siam in Lambertville used to be my favorite, but I recently discovered an astonishingly good Thai restaurant: Thai Kitchen, 1351 Prince Rodgers Ave., Bridgewater 908-231-8822. This is far, far better than the two in nearby Somerville. They have many dishes that you will not find at the vast majority of places in NJ, and everything I have tried there was outstanding. They are located in a secluded, small strip mall behind the Bridgewater Commons -- I never would have known about it had I not been clued in by a friend -- and to find it, I suggest you call them or look up the address on mapsonline. Also, the people working there were some of the nicest I have come across.

In yesterday's NY Times, David Corcoran reviewed Thai Nam Phet, on Route 46, in Rockaway. He gave it a "Very Good." He was particularly effusive about two appetizers: steamed mussels, and yum ped yang, a duck salad, composed of strips of crisp-fried duck along with sliced red onion and red tomato, diced red and green peppers, cashews, and bits of lettuce and pineapple. Main courses described positively are "the spectacular whole fried snapper," accompanied by a mix of mango, red onion, cashews, and garlic; and a mix of steamed seafood -- shrimps, mussels, scallops, and squid flavored by chilies, peppers, and lime leaf -- which come wrapped in a foil swan. He liked desserts as well: fried banana spring roll, accompanied by excellent green tea ice cream; mango with sticky rice; and fried ice cream -- which he calls "ordinarily the dessert from hell" -- that was fairly light and greaseless here. In general, he says that the cooking is "not particularly adventurous," but that just about every dish matches the two appetizers in terms of liveliness and exactingly high standards.

Prices are moderate. BYO. Smoking is not allowed. Closed Mondays.

I recently discovered an astonishingly good Thai restaurant:  Thai Kitchen, 1351 Prince Rodgers Ave., Bridgewater  908-231-8822.  This is far, far better than the two in nearby Somerville.

Actually, there are three Thai restaurants in Somerville: Thai Chef, Chao Phaya, and Origins bills itself as "Thai-French" and Thai Chef also has some French items on its menu (as well as sushi). Wasn't impressed by our one visit to Thai Chef, about a year ago; haven't been in either of the other two in some time.

Thai Kitchen is probably the best of the bunch in the area. Just be forewarned: it's become popular. That means either get there early - like before six - or make a reservation. We dropped in one Saturday shortly before six and were asked whether we had a reservation, which we did not. Many of the tables were full, or marked with "Reserved" cards - I think we may have gotten the last unreserved table they had at the time. We also went early one weeknight to find many (but not all )of the tables filled.

But the food and service are definitely worth it!

If it helps any, Prince Rodgers Avenue is between Commons Way (where the mall is) and Bridge Street (where the Somerset County Library is located).

My wife and I went to Thai Kitchen Sunday night. We ordered dishes that all Thai restaurants should perform well. The Larb was good, a generous portion, though perhaps too sweet, and the ground roasted rice was a bit too hard. The pad thai was above average, but not exceptional, emphasizing salty over sweet. I was surprised to get a lemon wedge rather than lime wedge with it. Ordered a dish with pork, long beans, bell peppers, basil, with chili sauce. It was pretty good, but not exceptional, pork could have been more tender, and the chili sauce was sweetened more than I'd expect. We ordered a whole fried fish with chili and tamarind sauce. As soon as my wife broke the skin with the spoon, we knew there was a problem. Distinct ammonia smell. We both tasted a bite. The fish smelled of ammonia coming in, though in the mouth, I didn't really taste it as much. If the fish had been ok, the sauce and presentation would have again been good but not great. I've had that kind of fish better at other places, worse at others. We asked the waitress to take it away, and we ordered chicken with green curry. I don't give restaurants a second chances on bad fish. The green curry was adequate, pretty much like any green curry one orders at an average Thai restaurant. I can make better at home with a can of paste and coconut milk, etc. The service was friendly, to us and everyone else, but what the waitress did bothered me. She came back to report that the chef had tasted our fish, and declared that whatever we found distasteful about the fish was a characteristic "muddy" flavor of the fish, and reported that it was bought today. Well, we didn't argue, but I'm not aware of any fish that has a natural ammonia odor, and if so, they should never buy and serve it. But taking that sort of attitude tells me that they might serve me such a fish again. They did not charge us for the returned fish.

My conclusion - it seems to be a decent Thai place for people in the area, assuming our bad fish was an anomaly. But the restaurant doesn't seem to be unusually good in key Thai dishes. We won't be going back, because it didn't appear to offer anything outstanding.

Thai-Thai in Sterling serves dishes of similar quality, and it's closer for us.

Is Mie Thai in Woodbridge in a higher league than these two?

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the Kratiem thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=28110

This is a Thai restaurant you do NOT want to miss.

The owner confirmed that yes, in fact, they are same people as Thai Chef. What boggles my mind is that he told me that Thai Chef in Englewood will be even MORE high-end dining than Kratiem, if it is to be believed. Scary.

i found myself in what i assume is saddle brook, right west of 17. i saw a thai restaurant there. i have no idea what it's called or how long it's been there. i think if you are on essex street, heading west, it's on the right right after you cross over 17. i was on a bus, though, and pretty much totally lost.

any ideas?

Edited by tommy (log)

Jason, have either of the 2 new Thai places in Englewood opened yet?

Read the thread on Kratiem. Lots of pictures, and I'm about to post some more.

Thai Chef will be open within 2 weeks, according to the owner.

• 1 year later...

We just came from Thai Chef II in Denville. It is under new management with a great revamped menu.

The duck roll appetizer is spectacular- cucumber, red leaf, and savory duck wrapped in a paper thin crepe and drizzled with salty and sweet sauce.

The crabmeat soup is another standout- thick but without the gummy cornstarch-y texture of takeout asian soups. We talked to the manager and the crabmeat soup is simmered for over 7 hours to reach this texture.

Entrees- duck special and salmon massaman. Both great.

If you go, make sure you ask for their special menu, which is extensive, and which they said will soon replace their existing menu.

Desserts- creme brulee and chocolate souffle. unmistakably un-thai, but still good old friends on this cold night.

We just came from Thai Chef II in Denville. It is under new management with a great revamped menu.

Isn't Thai Chef a chain with half a dozen locations? Did this one break away from the chain?

I'm not sure how it is structured, but the manager hinted that they were breaking away from the others. I don't know if it means a name change, but the food is now pretty superior to what you can find in most neighborhood Thais these days.

There's a new Thai/Vietnamese down in Bradley Beach called Bamboo Leaf.

The food is good but they're a bit pricey like Siam Garden in Red Bank.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak