• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Restaurants in New Jersey

Rosie

there's a new place in hoboken called "hoboken thai" (i think!). it's on hudson at 1st street.

stopped in for lunch today. nothing notable unfortunately. decent tom yung koong. passable fried rolls, although they seemed to be stuffed with something resembling pad thai of all things. pad thai as a dish on its own was near flavorless. i appreciate light and crisp pad thai, but this seemed to take that notion to the extreme. perhaps better suited as a summer dish at this particular restaurant. grilled beef salad served in an overly sweet and all-too-common sauce, with some sad looking iceburg lettuce. no larb on the menu. :hmmm:

the place has a cool little vibe going, with tables places sparsely around the dining room, and a counter overlooking the kitchen. however, on my one visit, the counter was filled with newspapers and other stuff, which sent a clear signal to me that they just aren't trying very hard. what a shame as they obviously dropped a good chunk of change in the place to remodel it.

they fancy themselves a seafood restaurant, boasting "fresh seafood delivered daily." i didn't have any.

it's nice to have another thai in hoboken, but it seems that it would be so easy to open a standout place instead of a mediocre restaurant.

i'd be interested in others' comments on this place.

22 bucks for the above and 2 sodas before tip. it appears to be BYOB.

there's a new place in hoboken called "hoboken thai" (i think!).  it's on hudson at 1st street.

When I lived in Hoboken 4 years ago there was a thai place on 1st and Hudson. Perhaps it's under new management. If I recall, it was nothing to write home about, let alone justify eating there over the place on Washington.

this place is new.  it used to be a dumpling type place.  the only 2 thai's in hoboken for the last decade were sri thai and bangkok city.  so there.   :raz:

Sri Thai, yeah, wasn't that the place you/we're talking about?? I'd swear there was a thai place on Hudson!

I have heard from people who have mixed up Wondee's with another place, Bangkok Garden, right across the street, not nearly as good.  Put the yellow warning signs up!!

Try this menton:

Bangkok Garden vs Wondees

Nick

After reviewing the linked thread, another major difference was mentioned but not emphasized. Bangkok Garden is open on Mondays, Wondee's is not.

this place is new.  it used to be a dumpling type place.  the only 2 thai's in hoboken for the last decade were sri thai and bangkok city.  so there.   :raz:

Sri Thai, yeah, wasn't that the place you/we're talking about?? I'd swear there was a thai place on Hudson!

sri thai is on bloomfield and 3rd. hudson is 2 streets east. sri thai has been there for probably 7 years or so, and was pretty good for while. not sure how they're doing now, however, as i haven't been in quite some time.

[sri thai is on bloomfield and 3rd.  hudson is 2 streets east.

So what's your point? :) Just because I can't remember my Hoboken geography? -- Bloomfield and Hudson are both 1 or 2 blocks from Washington, so you got me all sorts of confused. And why are you scouring the streets of Hoboken for thai restaurants?? Anyhow, now I'm really gonna go stand in the corner.

one more goodie: royal thai in edison.  atmosphere alone is transporting enough to make the visit enjoyable.

Ah, finally something in my neck of the woods..though when I'm in that area I head to Mei Thai...didn't find it in my phone book..where are they located? Thanks.

• 6 months later...
passable fried rolls, although they seemed to be stuffed with something resembling pad thai of all things.

From Mamster's Thai Omelet article in TDG: "The first time I ordered phad Thai in a restaurant in Thailand, for example, the waiter set down what looked like an omelet. It was -- an omelet loaded with phad Thai. Balk at this if you must, but it was delicious. (Of course, I'd eat phad Thai wrapped in pretty much anything.)"

• 1 month later...

i heard that Thai Chef is opening a thai place in Riverside Square (hackensack) and Englewood as well. And, they are opening a japanese place in Hackensack. or did i dream all of this. :blink:

i have to say, i'll go to Riverside Square for Thai Chef. it used to be one of my favorites (until the expansion). perhaps it won't be a zoo like the montclair outpost.

i heard that Thai Chef is opening a thai place in Riverside Square (hackensack) and Englewood as well.  And, they are opening a japanese place in Hackensack.  or did i dream all of this.  :blink:

i have to say, i'll go to Riverside Square for Thai Chef.  it used to be one of my favorites (until the expansion).  perhaps it won't be a zoo like the montclair outpost.

The englewood one is about a month and a half from opening. Its in the shopping center with the Shoprite.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've been to the Thai Chef in Montclair. Frankly the only thing which REALLY wowed me were the exquisite souffles they have for dessert. The rest was passable, but a bit more fru-fru than I like my Thai food.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

...just adding one more Thai Restaurant to the list - Kalish in Ridgewood - actuallly the menu is Indian / Thai...

jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

...just adding one more Thai Restaurant to the list - Kalish in Ridgewood - actuallly the menu is Indian / Thai...

jan

How long has that restaurant been there? I have a vague memory of going to a Thai/Indian hybrid in Bergen County around eight or nine years ago. Could this have been it?

Rosie will know. Rosie is the encyclopedia on things like this. Rosie?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

There's a new place one the border of Oradell and Emerson, in Emerson. Used to be Nola's(Italian). The name is not visible from the street but it hase a sign on the side of the building that says 'Thai". Just past the Dairy Queen heading from Oradell to Emerson, across from the retirement home. Believe the name is Pimman. Have been there twice. First time got Tom Yung Kha was a great soup with coconut milk, mushrooms, shrimp, lemongrass and other items. Next time I got it spicy and it ripped the tarpaper off the roof it was so hot. Also tried their spicy wide noodle dish quite similar to Chinese chow fun and their mussels in broth which I thought was good. We also had the papaya salad which my friend did not care like as much as others he had had elsewhere. Pad Thai was good.

Has a rather extensive menu including whole fish and frogs legs and on the whole seems to be doing a credible job; it had a whole lot of business last Friday night.

Also has lunch specials for around 6 or 7 dollars including entree, spring roll and rice.

Worth some exploration.

I've been to Wondees, Bangkok Thai, Kailash in Ridgewood. Good experiences.

Yeah, Pimaan. I wasn't really impressed with the place, thought it was oriented too much toward caucasians.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

jan

How long has that restaurant been there? I have a vague memory of going to a Thai/Indian hybrid in Bergen County around eight or nine years ago. Could this have been it?

Rosie will know. Rosie is the encyclopedia on things like this. Rosie?

it's been there for a few years at least. the thai menu is *very* limited (even more so than the other Thai restaurant in Ridgewood). however, their cripsy duck is a great dish.

Kalish has been here for close to a decade. It's small, most Ridgewood Restaurants are... service has always been outstanding, and as others have mentioned regarding heat, tell them what you expect. The menu is split one half (2-3 pages) Indian, and one hlaf (back 2-3 pages to center) Thai.

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler