• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Singh Thai.

iamthestretch

Tom Sietsema likes it and it crops up in Thai discussions here now and again but doesn't seem to have a thread of its own -- so here goes.

We went down there today and had a pleasant (and extremely cheap) lunch. Savory larb, a fiery pork kaprow and a well-done pad thai without the greasiness and sugariness you often find. In fact, generally, the kitchen seems to have the heat-to-sweet ratio cranked up good and high, which suits me fine. Being a rainy Monday afternoon, and Valentine's Day to boot, we were pretty much alone in their small, no-frills dining room and the service was very good. Apparently it can be a crush in the evenings though. The menu is shorter than some, but has a number of out-of-the-ordinary choices ranging from frogs' legs to novel seafood preparations. And at $6 for an entree, there's room to experiment. I'll definitely go back, although not for the pleasure of listening to world's gloopiest background music mixtape, which took us through a medley of Wind Beneath My Wings, Up Where We Belong, Save The Best For Last and, at which point we finally broke and fled, I've Never Been To Me.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I'll definitely go back, although not for the pleasure of listening to world's gloopiest background music mixtape, which took us through a medley of Wind Beneath My Wings, Up Where We Belong, Save The Best For Last and, at which point we finally broke and fled, I've Never Been To Me.

I find this to be a theme in cheap Asian restos. Is it a conspiracy?

The first Pho place I started goiing to here in Rockville played Abba every day.

That one closed and I started going to another where they seem to have this thing for the BeeGees.

You kind of have to shut out the cheesy music to enjoy your food.

On the flip slide...

The BEST music/cuisine cheap eats blend is at Roger Miller where they play African music videos on the giant screen TV on the back wall all night.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Oh the joy of being very hard of hearing, I do not need to listen to that crap, it is all white noise to me.

I love Singh Thai. My wife and I took my mother-in-law there for our pre-wedding meal (the night before the rehearal dinner). The only dish I have not really been high on was the mountain lamb. I have to second the pad Thai as some of the best around.

This place is down the street from my office and is the one that we frequent, even with our other choices within walking distance. They do not skimp on the heat in their dishes- everytime I order their drunken noodles or kapow beef (I'm not ashamed to call myself a wimpy when it comes to spicy), I tell myself to not them order again- hoowee too spicy for me!! But what do I do? I convince myself that it wasn't too hot and subject myself to more torture (but it's kind of enjoyable in a way). So, for chiliheads- my pain is your pleasure. Give this place a try.

I find this to be a theme in cheap Asian restos. Is it a conspiracy?

The first Pho place I started goiing to here in Rockville played Abba every day.

That one closed and I started going to another where they seem to have this thing for the BeeGees.

You kind of have to shut out the cheesy music to enjoy your food.

On the flip slide...

The BEST music/cuisine cheap eats blend is at Roger Miller where they play African music videos on the giant screen TV on the back wall all night.

Another exception would be Bangkok Blues on Broad St in Falls Church. I have not yet tried it since moving to the neighborhood 2 months ago, but they do have live local music 6 nights a week. I found a 2002 Post review by Eve Zibart that calls it "one of the best Thai restaurants in town." Has anyone eaten there recently? I'm wondering if the food is still as good as it was in 2002. The music lineup, looks good and cetainly a great alternative to your "Wind Beneath My Wings" mix!

I've meant to get to Singh....but I'm just too enamored of Thai Square. Ok....I only tried it a week ago...but I've been there 3 times in a week. Authentic and yummy. Has some dishes I'm used to from Sripraphai in nyc. I'm not saying its as good as Sri (blasphemy!) but its goooood.

-Jason

• 4 months later...

Stopped in over the weekend for the first time. Do their menu's prices change at all for lunch or dinner? All the entrees like the panang curry and pad thai were $5.95 I believe, we were there around 1:30 pm on a Saturday. Has to be the cheapest Thai I've had in the region.