• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Full English Breakfast in London

so mon petit pois  :raz:

please vote with your feet where is the best english brekkie in London.

Failing that where is the best fry up in town? greasy spoon or otherwise!

Best I've had in the last 12 months was at The Connaught. No idea of the cost, as I wasn't paying, but it was very very good

Fox & Anchor, Charterhouse St (Smithfield market) You will not leave hungry. While I haven't been there in years, I used to like the mixed grill as a late breakfast instead of the traditional fry.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

anyone had the english breakfast at the Electirc Brasserie or Smiths of Smithfield?

It's excellent, and good value, but you can't book and there can sometimes be quite a wait.

even on a saturday morning? :huh:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Disgracefully, the best breakfast in England is probably only available to Hallie and Bapie - in Crouch End. It's at a place called Bannners. Their full English was a thing of pilgrimage and sacrifice and beauty. Fat sausages, fragrant and herbed, bacon moist and delicious, lovely eggs cooked to perfection, all atop to thick-buttered doorsteps of proper toast.

I used to drive an hour for the pleasure. Now it's out of my range. Shame, I say!

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

anyone had the english breakfast at the Electirc Brasserie or Smiths of Smithfield?

It's excellent, and good value, but you can't book and there can sometimes be quite a wait.

Particularly on a Saturday morning! It's where Clerkenwell's yuppie population brings its children for breakfast, and the place gets packed. 12pm or 2pm is okay, but any time between is asking for trouble.

Particularly on a Saturday morning! It's where Clerkenwell's yuppie population brings its children for breakfast, and the place gets packed. 12pm or 2pm is okay, but any time between is asking for trouble.

:smile: thats ok plan to get there for 10am

thanks for the tip

Disgracefully, the best breakfast in England is probably only available to Hallie and Bapie - in Crouch End. It's at a place called Bannners. Their full English was a thing of pilgrimage and sacrifice and beauty. Fat sausages, fragrant and herbed, bacon moist and delicious, lovely eggs cooked to perfection, all atop to thick-buttered doorsteps of proper toast.

I used to drive an hour for the pleasure. Now it's out of my range. Shame, I say!

Banners is very good. They make their scrambled egg with the steam attatchment to the coffee machine.

And their saute potatos with bacon and poached egg remains my favourite all-time breakfast. Although recently this is being questioned by rick steins eggs arnold bennet, which is only available if I make it myself.

yeah smiths was good food , i used to enjoy their breakfasts , but on a few occasions the floor staff were kind of out of it , especially on sundays .

can`t blame them for that thou , i was normally in a similar state :biggrin:

edited ps ... the euro cafe on caledonian road was right over the road from our dodgee flat , kinda cool place with the ubiquitous diana poster , not worth a special outing to N1 thou " set breakfast #1 with tea and toast please " ..... * grabs a copy of the sun *....

... gee that takes me back a bit ..

Edited by transfattyacid (log)
tt

Hi, this isn't about Full English Breakfasts, but maybe you'll find it interesting.

The March, 2005, issue of Gourmet magazine says "The great British breakfast is in decline these days -- few Londoners have the time for a big meal in the morning -- but here are some places where you can buck the trend." They go on to suggest Baker & Spice (best croissants in town), Inn The Park ("proper black pudding with poached egg"), Lisboa Patisserie (egg custard cakes & espresso), Ottolenghi (homemade breads, pastries, granola), St. John Bread & Wine ("unusual" British breakfasts such as herring roe on toast, prunes & porridge :unsure:), 202 (blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon), and E Pellicci ("a proper Cockney caff").

I wonder if B&Bs are keeping the tradition of the Proper English Breakfast alive...

-Mary

I'd second Ottelenghi but on the proviso that if you go you do not order the eggs with mushroom polenta served with a beef jus.

It is one of the most disgusting things I have ever eaten. Truly, terribly, nauseatingly horrid. Stick to the pastries and you'll be fine. I had a quite good taleggio and tomato danish there the other day.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

well after a little debating we settle for electric in notting hill.

Full electric breakfast consisted of toast, 2 thick juicy sausages, 2 bacon, 2 eggs (of your choice, we had fried), baked bean, 2 slices black pudding, 2 grilled mushrooms and 2 grilled tomatoes.

The brekkie was very good but i thought a little expensive at £10 but it definately won't disappoint :wink: will try to get to some fo teh other places recommended above over the next few weekends :laugh:

Interesting choice on the fried eggs there. I prefer poached, but also find that poached are a better test of the kitchen's skill...but often to the detriment of my breakfast.

Is it just a matter of personal taste or is there one preparation of egg that you really should have for it to be a "proper" full English?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Interesting choice on the fried eggs there. I prefer poached, but also find that poached are a better test of the kitchen's skill...but often to the detriment of my breakfast.

Is it just a matter of personal taste or is there one preparation of egg that you really should have for it to be a "proper" full English?

the fried egg was my irish friends choice :) and very good they were too.

a proper English brekkie has to be a fry up right?

fried eggs all the way :laugh:

Edited by origamicrane (log)