• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy Homies

Hi,

I'm heading out the new Tom Conran venture, 'Crazy Homies' tonight in Westbourne Grove, London. Apparently it's the restaurant which will put the 'real' Mexican food on the map in London. (I think I recall a very old thread which once asked why there were no 'real' Mexican eateries in the capital)

Anyhow, has anyone been ? and if so what do you recommend on the menu ?

Thanks in Advance

Rick

So Rick, how was it? Spill the beans (refried or otherwise...)

Ok, well, it looks like I got the wrong end of the enchilada...

It is actually a 'Tequila Bar and Diner'. Diner in this case means only around 30 very cosy seats. The place was pretty quiet when we arrived with a few other token Valentiners out to kick start the night with a spicy hit. The menu is very limited and consists of Tacos or Enchilidas (a choice between Pork, Black Bean, or Chicken) for mains and churros and chocolate for dessert. The bar area plays host to a wide selection of Mexican beers and authentic tequilas.

We didn't stay too long as my girlfriend wasn't too keen on eating plate after plate of tortillas. To start the drinking, I chose an Agave Margeurita (made with Agave syrup) which was great although I did think all margueritas were supposed to come with a salt rim-lined glass. This particular margeurita came sans sel.The girlfriend chose the sweet sounding Sangrita which turned out to be a shot of tequila and a shot of 'spicy tomato juice'. Again this was as good as I had had a year before in Mexico. So far so good.

From the food menu we ordered a plate of Pork picadillo quesadilla which came with 3 sauces (green chile, red chile and a tomato salsa). These were fantastic and a real reminder of our holiday in Mexico. The sauces were authentically spicy and the tortillas seemed freshly made. Unfortunately, we did not stay much longer for food but I did manage to polish off a shot of Patron Tequila Anejo (aged) which was very smooth and well worth the price.

So to sum up, it's a place worth visiting if you are the mood for drinks and snack type foods but maybe not if you want a 'full on restaurant' experience.

I'll definitely be back if only to try the churros and chocolate !

Rgds

Rick