• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pan

How expensive is $25?

5 posts in this topic

Eric, in your interview with Fat Guy, you touched on controversy over the more expensive restaurants reviewed in "$25 and Under." Please explain why a lovely restaurant like August, where a friend and I had normal-sized three-course dinners without beverage for $78 and change (not including tip), belongs in "$25 and Under," and also discuss whether you don't believe it deserves a star or two. (You can read both positive reports and demurrals about the restaurant as a $25-and-under in this thread.) Also, would you like to suggest any other restaurants you reviewed in the "$25 and Under" column as worthy of star ratings, and would you like to discuss the controversy over Bruni's awarding two stars to Sripraphai? I hope that isn't too many questions.

Let's be honest about the $25 cutoff. It made literal sense in 1992. Nowadays it communicates generally that this restaurant is going to be cheaper than the other restaurant on the page, and that it's going to be a good value.

August is one example of a restaurant that stretched the literal bounds of the $25 and Under column, but in the context of Greenwich Village 2004, or whenever I reviewed it, I thought it was a modestly priced restaurant that might not have warranted a main review. I could be wrong about that, but at the time I thought it might otherwise have been ignored.

People always made a big deal about those reviews, but I tried to intersperse these more expensive restaurants with a $4.95 all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant and places like that.

Is there a problem with awarding two stars to Sripraphai?

I have a followup question:

Eric, do you feel like some of the restaurants you reviewed in "$25 and Under" deserve a star or two according to your interpretation of the New York Times star ratings? Or is that question irrelevant to your way of thinking about those restaurants?

Pan,

Actually, some restaurants that I reviewed in $25 and Under eventually did get stars. I was the first to review 71 Clinton Street, and more recently Petrosino. Believe it or not, I reviewed Jewel Bako when it first opened and it was possible to eat there for less than $25. Perhaps on some level I realized that all of these places were worthy of stars, but I wanted to write about them and it wasn't really my job to tell other people what I felt they ought to write about. There are plenty of other places that I reviewed that could have stars under other circumstances -- Al Di La, Grand Sichuan, 360 come to mind -- but that's the way things go.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0