• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simple pleasures.

babka

At midnight this evening, my brain remembered that it hadn't been fed since breakfast. With the clock ticking down on a most undignified meltdown, I toasted a slice of brioche, smashed half a ripe avocado into it, and promptly lapsed into an undignified--but fully adult--state of mind.

What's your five minutes fix?

Salad or raw veggies with dressing is always a good choice. I always keep a couple bags of prepared salad greens around, and most bottled dressings are decent enough, so toss some greens in bowl, drizzle something over it, and the hunger is satiated by something pretty healthy.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Crunched up Fritos or Doritos (or is that Tostitos?) Gold chips, splash on picante sauce, grate some cheese on top, nuke for a minute.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Sometimes (rarely) even five minutes is more than I'm willing to spend. A piece of fruit (these days, prefereably a Bosc pear or a Pink Lady apple or a Cara Cara navel orange or a Rio Star grapefruit). Pita and hummus (I always carry both). Cucumbers. Carrots. Almond butter and Ryvita-- the kind with dried fruit. Smoked salmon. Also, smoked salmon.

Beyond grazing (crudites, dips, salami, cheese), it would have to be grilled cheese and some canned soup.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Laniloa, you said the magic word . . . apple.

A Granny Smith apple cut into wedges. Dip it into a good rich yogurt slightly sweetened and with some added vanilla. It tastes incredibly, ridiculously decadent.

One of my favorite things since I tend to snack in the evening.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

steaming-hot, still fresh sticky rice. Raw egg cracked on top; splash of soy; stirred so the egg only just begins to set (think the texture in a proper carbonara)

My favorite food as a kid; I'd still make a new pot of rice just for this.

Quesadilla with cheese, salsa and cilantro.

goat cheese on toasted whole wheat

granny smith apples and cheddar cheese

humbolt fog cheese and triscuits

CHEESE

I could never be a vegan but I could easily become a cheeseatarian.

Labne sandwich: Labne, green olives, sprinkle of zaatar, olive oil in a rolled pita.

ANY piece of cheese on pain de mie stuck in a toaster.

ANY piece of cheese period.

Leftover white rice with grated parmiggiano and olive oil.

Edited by zeitoun (log)
"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler