• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where are they now?

appreciator

I believe that you are referring to Il Barino, owned by the Markin family, where Mark cooked for a while after Angelica’s went dark.

Jamie , did Paul Devlin have something to do with Il Barino? Something in the back of my head says he was married to the Owner.

I just like to keep all of the players straight.

Neil

Dr. Devlin was married (briefly) to Sylvia Markin, the daughter of the owner. Sylvia worked the room, so to speak.

I'm posting this from the nearby bistro where I went to resolve the emergency and drive the busboy to the hospital, marital mishaps and misunderstandings being so common on Valentine's Day. There was another flareup at a corner deuce. Turns out the husband had offered the wrong response to that age-old chestnut, "Do you think the (spectacularly plunging) neckline of this dress makes my breasts look too big?" I managed to throw some oil (actually, a rather tasty extra virgin, delightful in its fruity, youthful intensity) on the troubled waters. In the future, I counselled the husband, always reply, "Well Edwina, you're a man's woman, now aren't you. Has anyone ever told you that you look a lot like Nigella Lawson?" This seemed to placate the situation, although she offered to help me drive the busboy to VGH.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Speaking of industry veterans, does anyone know where F. Morris Chatters is hanging his tweed fedora these days?

As I understand it, until Saturday he was Director of Hunan Resources at Kung Pow Phat Soy. But apparently Chef Sven Chen Lenson caught Chatters redhanded--trying to sabotage the signature Chicken Kung Pow sauce by adding Mrs. H.S. Ball's Chilli Chutney (Rissie Blatjang) "for extra oomph" as Chatters said at the time. He was reportedly replaced by Ed Jovanovski.

Chatters of course ran his own show for many years until eGullet Richmond Forum Host Keith Talent wrote the infamously derisive review that darkened the restaurant. Chatters was then briefly involved in security/PR at The Capilano Suspension Bridge, (he suffered a mild attack of Salmonella while on the job although he was unsure where he caught it), then ran the VIP room briefly at Skybar before linking up with Lenson.

When I called his home earlier, all I could get out of his kids was that "He's taken Mom to a nearby bistro for Valentine's Day. Just look for the woman in the specatacularly plunging dress."

Any tips to his whereabouts?

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

What ever happened to chef Mark Potovsky?

Yeah?! - I've had some stupendous meals from Mark. Particularly when Yaletown was first opening up there was an italian place that he was cooking at and it was spectacular.

I think that was Alabaster. Then it run by Adam Busby, who moved on to Cascabel ( Smoking Dog site ) , then to Dubrule Culinary school .

Gotta put in my two cents for Alabaster. Brilliant food in a warm, inviting room. One of my long-gone faves.

Yes, surely miss the panacotta from Mark in the Alabaster days. And Il Barino, such fond memories. A decade has slipped by!

So who makes the best panacotta these days?

What ever happened to chef Mark Potovsky?

Yeah?! - I've had some stupendous meals from Mark. Particularly when Yaletown was first opening up there was an italian place that he was cooking at and it was spectacular.

I think that was Alabaster. Then it run by Adam Busby, who moved on to Cascabel ( Smoking Dog site ) , then to Dubrule Culinary school .

Gotta put in my two cents for Alabaster. Brilliant food in a warm, inviting room. One of my long-gone faves.

Yes, surely miss the panacotta from Mark in the Alabaster days. And Il Barino, such fond memories. A decade has slipped by!

So who makes the best panacotta these days?

Markus Weiland of Alabaster and Mark Potovsky of Il Barino were two of the most skilled chefs to alight here. Markus came from a place of strong discipline in his cooking (lengthy apprenticeships and postings in Switzerland and in Konstanz, Germany), Mark from a more freestyle approach. And both restaurants suffered from a lack of neighbourhood footfall traffic when Yaletown was still being renovated and the towers planned--busy with destination diners on Thursday through Saturday, but a little sad at the beginning of the week.

Alabaster may have been a touch too formal as well--the white linen, alabaster statue, excellent service china, and sparkling glassware and flatware spelt a style of dining that didn't always fit with local diners at the time. But the northern Italian food certainly sparkled too: linguine with tomatoes, eggplant and olives ($10!) and leek and potato coup loaded with blackened scallops ($6!). He cooked very clean and the restaurant was a pleasure--it's just that neighbours didn't flood the place. Markus was also one of the early progenitors of the tasting menu, local ingredients purchased daily, and more recently, Slow Food.

Il Barino, on the other hand, became very popular quickly, especially with the cashmered Italian set. It wasn't unusual to see hefty German and sleeker Italian cars piled three deep on a Thursday night. But here it was more the stress of managing a revolving door of chefs (what Mark Potovsky could do with fish was incandescent), and staff (and their substances)--the aristocratic Mrs. Markin grew tired of the circus after a time. She was famously to be seen meeting and greeting, with her lengthy cigarette smoldering, always the consummate schmoozer, and for a while at least, gave the city its first serious alternative to Umberto Menghi for styled Italian dining. That she would eventually sell the premises to him was poached in not a little irony.

Markus Weiland now cooks in Sooke, at the decidely more casual Markus' Wharfside; Mark Potovsky seems to have wound up in Oregon.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Thanks Jamie - the name that I was looking for was Il Barino. I went there for lunch (skipping out of work for a couple of hours) and it was a revelation for young (at that time) taste buds. And Mark was so generous - he sent out little things that he was trying out for us to taste. It set me on the road to really appreciating food and seeing the chef's "voice" in his/her food.

It was one of those first meals that really registered for me.

Did a little follow-up and Fung's menus have returned the Beach Side to the West Coast.

Enjoy yourself, Eric. If you were looking for good Italian in the neighbourhood, there's Marcelo's (where they make tasty veal -- saltimbocca, parmigiana, marsala, etc.) just up the street.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

and leek and potato coup loaded with blackened scallops

Didn't the leek and potato coup come in a 4 door hatchback model as well ?

Joking aside Alabaster was brilliant food but I would agree the room was a bit too formal, the room seemed to demand hushed tones and had a cold impersonal feel - not something Vancouver seems to embrace.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Joking aside Alabaster was brilliant food but I would agree the room was a bit too formal, the room seemed to demand hushed tones and had a cold impersonal feel - not something Vancouver seems to embrace.

Maybe it was just their coup de foudre...or should I say soupe de foudre?

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

At the time I was rather fond of the coup de gras, too, available for two, in which case we called it the little deuce coupe.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

This is going back a bit but I am wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of Andrey Durbache. I worked with him at The Moustache Cafe on Broadway until it burnt down. Then we were called up to Uforia when Mark Potovsky left. After a short stint there we went on to Bruno Born's new place, Paradiso by Bruno.

Then I ended up going back to Toronto and haven't heard from him since. I would like to get in touch with him if anyone knows where I could find him. We worked well together and he had some really good ideas that I still think about now.

The Vancouver food scene in the mid 90's was quite incredible. I am sure it still is, just haven't been able to make it back. Will some day.

This is going back a bit but I am wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of Andrey Durbache. I worked with him at The Moustache Cafe on Broadway until it burnt down. Then we were called up to Uforia when Mark Potovsky left. After a short stint there we went on to Bruno Born's new place, Paradiso by Bruno.

Andrey's at Parkside, a fave of this group to be sure!

A.

Then I ended up going back to Toronto and haven't heard from him since.  I would like to get in touch with him if anyone knows where I could find him. We worked well together and he had some really good ideas that I still think about now.

The Vancouver food scene in the mid 90's was quite incredible. I am sure it still is, just haven't been able to make it back. Will some day.

Three of us here saying Parkside on Haro!

www.parksiderestaurant.ca

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Andrey Durbach is now Chef-Owner of the illustrious Parkside here in Vancouver near Stanley Park (click here for their website). Stellar food, as always. I'm sure you can get in touch with him through the restaurant.

And Vancouver's food scene is even better than it was in the 90s. You'll definitely have to come back and sample it for yourself, Parkside included.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

You guys are sooooo slow!  I even got the link in there too!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Did all that chocolate last night affect your reading Arne? The link's in my post too. :hmmm::laugh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I too had a short stint at The Moustache Cafe on Broadway before it burnt down and had the chance to work with Andrey Durbach. I agree his approach to food is a little different then the average chef. I was sad when his own project did not succeed the way he would have liked. He is now cooking at the Parkside Restaurant working his magic.

steve letts

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Hey does anybody know where Michael is? He was the front end manager at mustache sometime before it burned down. He also did some time at Bishops and Bruno's. No idea if he is even in van these days.

steve

I too had a short stint at The Moustache Cafe on Broadway before it burnt down and had the chance to work with Andrey Durbach.  I agree his approach to food is a little different then the average chef.  I was sad when his own project did not succeed the way he would have liked.  He is now cooking at the Parkside Restaurant working his magic.

steve letts

Hey Steve. What are you up to these days?

Mark Campbell here. Good times there at the Moustache. Michael Kanter up front was one of the reasons we got away with what we were doing with food at the time. Awsome front man, could sell anything to anyone.

I will make it back sometime in the future. I miss that city and will definatley drop Andrey an email. Thanks for helping me out.

All this talk of the dearly departed - so many wonderful restaurants that I had forgotten about but when brought to mind make me smile. Il Barino for sure was a real favorite that vanished in an instant - so quickly it made me wonder if in fact it had ever existed.

I am trying to remember the name of a restaurant that was upstairs on the corner of Thurlow and Davie. It wasn't a great restaurant but they had a version of the famed shrimp and black bean linguine that we all remember so fondly from the Santa Fe Cafe.

Was there a restaurant there? Or am I having a form of gustatory flashbacks?

Cheers,

Karole

Hey Steve. What are you up to these days?
I am on Vancouver Island in port alberni hidding out, but I am getting ready to do something?

Yes Michael Kanter that is the fine fellow

He is a blast to work with :biggrin:

thanks

steve

I am trying to remember the name of a restaurant that was upstairs on the corner of Thurlow and Davie. It wasn't a great restaurant but they had a version of the famed shrimp and black bean linguine that we all remember so fondly from the Santa Fe Cafe.

Was there a restaurant there? Or am I having a form of gustatory flashbacks?

Wasn't there a Topkapi restaurant about 4 doors in on the southwest corner. We used to eat here as a change from Fresgo's. I don't remember an upstairs restaurant near that corner. Maybe I just never looked up.

Someone left the cake out in the rain ...