• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where are they now?

appreciator

I'm sure we can all think of a few "famous" or perhaps "infamous" chefs, bakers, restaurateurs, food business owners etc. who made a mark on the BC food scene over the past 10 years or so that we never hear about any more.

What I'm wondering is.... who are these people who stick in our minds - where are they now and what are they doing these days?

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

To be perfectly egalitarian, I don't think management, waiters, and sous chefs should be excluded from this great idea of a thread.

Yet if I know my brethren at all, some might not want to be found... :biggrin:

loose-lips-sink-ships-tn.jpg

I'll start with Josiane. Anyone know where this excellent bartender who opened and managed Chambar before Andre from Lumiere stepped in ended up?

(extra points for run-on sentence)

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

To be perfectly egalitarian, I don't think management, waiters, and sous chefs should be excluded from this great idea of a thread.

Yet if I know my brethren at all, some might not want to be found... :biggrin:

loose-lips-sink-ships-tn.jpg

I'll start with Josiane. Anyone know where this excellent bartender who opened and managed Chambar before Andre from Lumiere stepped in ended up?

(extra points for run-on sentence)

I agree 100%.... any industry professional who has left their imprint on the local food scene and seems to have now gone off the radar.... what's up... what's going on..... whataretheydoin now?

P.S. Andrew... there are no extra points.... quit brown-nosing again :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I'm sure we can all think of a few "famous" or perhaps "infamous" chefs, bakers, restaurateurs, food business owners etc. who made a mark on the BC food scene over the past 10 years or so that we never hear about any more.

What I'm wondering is.... who are these people who stick in our minds - where are they now and what are they doing these days?

Excellent thread!

I wonder what happened to Gianni Picchi nowadays? We really miss his rich creamy heavy pappardella first at Gianni's then briefly at Beachside Cafe!

Gianni was a talent at the Beach Side (formerly at Il Giardino tutoring a younger Hawksworth and his own Gianni's).

The position is now filled by the competent Ray Fung (formerly of Allegro Cafe & The Crime Lab). I've got no idea where Mr. Picchi is heading.

I also don't know if the Beach Side is sticking to Gianni's Italianised menus, but I'll swing by soon and check unless someone else knows the score. :wink:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Anyone know what happened to Les and Ruby, the couple that ran Hombres?

Hombres was Vancouver's best Mexican restaurant, originally in Gastown opposite the back of Army and Navy, and later on Hastings in Burnaby. I still miss it...

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

What ever happened to chef Mark Potovsky?

Yeah?! - I've had some stupendous meals from Mark. Particularly when Yaletown was first opening up there was an italian place that he was cooking at and it was spectacular. It is is terrible - I cannot remember the name of the place but it was them and Villa Del Lupo that first started opening up the area - this is about 15 years ago.

Yeah?! - I've had some stupendous meals from Mark. Particularly when Yaletown was first opening up there was an italian place that he was cooking at and it was spectacular. It is is terrible - I cannot remember the name of the place but it was them and Villa Del Lupo that first started opening up the area - this is about 15 years ago.

I think that was Alabaster. Then it run by Adam Busby, who moved on to Cascabel ( Smoking Dog site ) , then to Dubrule Culinary school .

I heard Mark was the Chef of G.M. Place, but that was some time ago.

So many people, so hard to keep track of.

Good thread.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Glad to hear Mark Potovsky is still working in the industry.

I remember when he opened Angelica on 4th Avenue. This was the late 1980's. He was doing amazing food back then. I believe the restaurant was short-lived but very talented people passed through that kitchen with Potovsky.

I had my first salmon tartare there. Purple potato pancakes on the brunch menu. Amazing breads and desserts made daily. Ahh, so few places do their own breads anymore - in Victoria anyway.

I heard from a chef that worked under him at GM Place, that he would travel around on a golf cart -or maybe it was a electric wheel chair - with a bull horn, directing his staff. I find that image very hilarious.

How about Bruno Born? I had great lunches at Le Coq d'Or back in the early 90's.  Fond memories of the Beaulieu's Georges de Latour Reserve that matched so well with his bold flavoured cuisine. I wonder where he's gone off to?

I think he owns Sausi's on Broadway, near MacDonald. It maight have changed names a few years ago, I have not paid attention, but I think he owns it either way.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Kris Barnholden, Fiction and Lucy Mae Brown alum. Where is he? In New York?

I understand Kris went to the Big Apple to try his luck. I am not sure but I think he might be a pastry chef somewhere. Sean Sherwodd could better answer that, speaking of which, where is he lately ? No time for egullet ? Or perhaps afraid people will get you mixed up with that other " Sean " :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

How about Bruno Born? I had great lunches at Le Coq d'Or back in the early 90's.  Fond memories of the Beaulieu's Georges de Latour Reserve that matched so well with his bold flavoured cuisine. I wonder where he's gone off to?

Hey, I've been wondering that too. My wife and I had our wedding reception at Zeppo's on Broadway.

If I recall his progession went something like Zeppo's, Coq D'Or, Indigo at the Wall Centre, the a place at 41st & Granville, then into thin air. The order maybe wrong. Someone turn on the Maw-light (see, you didn't know what the Heineken logo you periodically saw lighting the night sky represented, now you know.) His elephantine memory has not let us down yet.

Bruno Born does, indeed, still own Sausi on Broadway - nice to hear a "Zeppo's" reference.

Scott Kidd is at Cafe de Paris.

Potovsky was indeed a brilliant chef - does anyone else remember "Cherrystone Cove" in Gastown- and I wish him well (heck of a baseball player too).

Anyone know the whereabouts of Sonny Mendoza, last I heard he was chefing on the Cruise ships.

Edited by 2roost (log)

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Yeah?! - I've had some stupendous meals from Mark. Particularly when Yaletown was first opening up there was an italian place that he was cooking at and it was spectacular.

I think that was Alabaster. Then it run by Adam Busby, who moved on to Cascabel ( Smoking Dog site ) , then to Dubrule Culinary school .

Gotta put in my two cents for Alabaster. Brilliant food in a warm, inviting room. One of my long-gone faves.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Kris Barnholden, Fiction and Lucy Mae Brown alum. Where is he? In New York?

DJ Chef Kris and a few of my friends used to run the Sunday night in the downstairs LMB lounge. If you were ever there., you'd recognize me as the one who was alwasy knocking back bowlfuls of red wine and teetering on the edge of my bartsool whilst issuing proclamations about the quality of records being played. He always wanted to go the big apple, and I haven't seen him out at the local bars or clubs lately so I imagine he got his wish. He was a good party buddy.

Is Darrell the bartender (LMB and then Fiction) still at Fiction, or did he depart too? He's a sweetheart.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

DJ Kris, or Barney, as those who love him know him, met someone in the big apple and they travelled together to Montreal, where he's currently perfecting his already stunning grasp of the craft. Will he return? I'm sure he's not done with this city. He has many ideas and an entrepreneurial bent. Keep an eye on the horizon. . . I know I am.

Darrell. Can't say enough. As an actor in the hospitality business (surprised?) he had a full plate keeping up with auditions and numerous writing oportunities he was chasing in Montreal and LA. Everybody misses his pole-dances, his 'baby steps' program and his disturbing level of energy. You might have seen him in such made for tv movies as 'Lockerroom Towel Fight, the blinding of Larry Ziniskie'. I know he was working with Ajatan studios in N. Van doing project development recently.

I thought Sonny had been running catering in the upstairs of the old Brickhouse? That place just off Robson he had for a bit, the old goodfellas, that qualifies as one of those tragic locations, no?

As for me, thanks Neil, nice being missed. Me and city hall have been playing redtape bondage games with our new brewpub project. That and some serious lurking. I really enjoyed the dine out posts!

Happy valentines, rooms filling, panic starting. . . Looking forward to midnight and a bottle of islay .. . .

Owner

Winebar @ Fiction

Lucy Mae Brown

Century - modern latin -

As for me, thanks Neil, nice being missed. Me and city hall have been playing redtape bondage games with our new brewpub project. That and some serious lurking. I really enjoyed the dine out posts!

Ahhhhhh....... The City Hall Shuffle - A dance step I know well. Good luck with that.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Keith Talent 

If I recall his progession went something like Zeppo's, Coq D'Or, Indigo at the Wall Centre, the a place at 41st & Granville, then into thin air. The order maybe wrong. Someone turn on the Maw-light (see, you didn't know what the Heineken logo you periodically saw lighting the night sky represented, now you know.) His elephantine memory has not let us down yet.

Pardon my absence. These clear nights have reeked havoc with the Heineken Red Star Noctocular Lantern ®—not a cloud to be seen to shine it off. Fortunately my new assistant, Miss B, had the brilliant idea of bouncing it off Rachael Ray’s fleshily upholstered backside—and here I am.

Bruno Born does indeed run Sausi, a neighbourhood stalwart on West Broadway. He began it with his delightful wife Sally Angus and I understand that both can be sampled nightly. I believe that the addition of The Chef and The Carpenter (in both locations) would round out your list of Born again properties.

I believe that you are referring to Il Barino, owned by the Markin family, where Mark cooked for a while after Angelica’s went dark. It was sold to Umberto Menghi; his brother-in-law Ken Bogas ran it as Mangiamo after the untimely demise of Saltimbucco. Menghi tried to sell Mangiamo and thought that he had accomplished exactly that. But at the eleventh hour, with pen poised over the contract in his lawyer’s office, he thought he smelt something distinctly like fermenting fish.

Turns out that the intendent purchaser, who had made his offer through a numbered company, was (allegedly) former Menghi consigliere Pino Posteraro. Thus started the infamous Yaletown shoot-out, aka Spaghetti Western.

Posteraro and his wealthy partner Ken Vidalin built Cioppino’s instead. Menghi, instead of selling, and not to be outdone, expanded, completely renovated and rebranded Mangiamo into what is now Circolo. Posteraro countered with the addition of Enoteca and three private dining rooms.

You will recall that it was the ancestors of these chaps who invented the word vendetta.

Posteraro won the contest with superior food, driven attention to detail and a host of awards. Mangiamo/Circolo has set only one record: for the restaurant most continuously for sale.

Whoops—must go. The Red Star Noctocular just flashed! Emergency call and I am donning the green cape as I speak. It's a 911-Valentine's Day crisis at a nearby bistro--somebody (no doubt Italian) just punched out a busboy for aggressive spousal leering, although according to the proprietor the wife in question was quite enjoying all the attention. Could be a busy night. Tonight my capable new assistant has bounced the Red Star off Giada De Laurentiis’s expansive brow, unquestionably the finest forehead in show business! Tomorrow she promises Nigella's not inconsiderable--and not disappointing--decolletage.

Ever vigilant, etc.,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I believe that you are referring to Il Barino, owned by the Markin family, where Mark cooked for a while after Angelica’s went dark.

Jamie , did Paul Devlin have something to do with Il Barino? Something in the back of my head says he was married to the Owner.

I just like to keep all of the players straight.

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill