• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned Tomatoes

Stone

Finally a topic I know something about. San Marzano tomatoes can only be called that if they are imported. Otherwise they are called italian or plum tomatoes.

Yeah but the funny thing about that is that you know that brand in the white/green/red can? It's got a red silhouette of tomato on it, with the words San Marzano on it?

I looked last week: product of the USA. I guess the brand name is separate from the description or something?

Finally a topic I know something about. San Marzano tomatoes can only be called that if they are imported. Otherwise they are called italian or plum tomatoes.

Yeah but the funny thing about that is that you know that brand in the white/green/red can? It's got a red silhouette of tomato on it, with the words San Marzano on it?

I looked last week: product of the USA. I guess the brand name is separate from the description or something?

maybe the can is imported? or the label?

Beats me. I just think San Marzano is the brand, which might could get around the labelling rules.

BUT I could be wrong. My motto for several years now has been "spreading misinformation on the internet since 1994."

I'll be stopping by fresh fields tomorrow after work anyway, so I'll confirm then.

• 7 months later...

So I'm in my new house, and finally close to Costco. So I went and got a membership and loaded up my basket. I couldn't resist buying two cans of peeled whole San Marzano tomatoes. However, they're like 6 1/2 pound cans.

What do y'all suggest I do with such a beast? If I open the can and only use 1-2 pounds of the tomatoes, can they be frozen, especially if I go ahead and drain and deseed them? Should I opt to make something like a tripled recipe of red sauce in my huge stockpot, then take it over to my mother-in-law's house for the deep-freeze? Or something else?

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

I don't know about San Marzano tomatoes, as such, but I've had good luck with freezing fresh tomatoes after I've skinned and seeded them. It's easier in some ways that canning them. I can't see why freezing canned leftover tomatoes wouldn't work - especially if you go ahead and seed them. I wouldn't completely drain them. I'd make sure there was enough liquid in the container to completely cover the tomatoes and fill the voids between them, so they don't get freezer burned.

However - if these tomatoes are really wonderful, then maybe your better bet is to make a fabulous sauce with them first, and then freeze it. Freeze it in small batches so you can defrost only as much as you'll need at a time.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

So I'm in my new house, and finally close to Costco.  So I went and got a membership and loaded up my basket.  I couldn't resist buying two cans of peeled whole San Marzano tomatoes.  However, they're like 6 1/2 pound cans.

What do y'all suggest I do with such a beast?  If I open the can and only use 1-2 pounds of the tomatoes, can they be frozen, especially if I go ahead and drain and deseed them?  Should I opt to make something like a tripled recipe of red sauce in my huge stockpot, then take it over to my mother-in-law's house for the deep-freeze?  Or something else?

You could put them in a glass or plastic container and keep the balance for a while in your fridge - but personally I would suggest making a great tomato sauce and freezing it.

Well, I make a really teriffic red sauce, and that's what I'd be using the tomatoes for eventually anyway, so I think your suggestions make sense. I'll probably spend all day seeding, browning meats and simmering, but then I can put the sauce in a ton of pint-size containers, deep freeze 'em, and have a years' supply of sauce.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by bleachboy (log)

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

If you don't have "a ton" of pint containers, get some of those zip lock type freezer bags. With a little practice, you can smush out all of the air as you close them. Then you flatten them out and freeze them on a sheet pan. They don't take up as much room and thawing in hot water is a snap.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 3 months later...

I was walking through Grand Central Market last week and spotted some canned San Marzanos with a "D.O.P" on the label. The can was almost $5. This was the first time I've seen the "D.O.P" on cans in New York, though I haven't paid much attention until recently. I assume I can get canned San Marzanos at good Italian specialty shops -- Di Palo's, Buon Italia -- but I'd love to know your experiences.

So, where can I find real canned San Marzanos, or any other high-quality canned tomatoes? Where are they the cheapest?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I just bought some this weekend at Putnam Market in Saratoga. They were about the same price. They aren't cheap! I wonder if this summer's crop are starting to hit the stores?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

They aren't cheap! I wonder if this summer's crop are starting to hit the stores?

I suppose the weakening dollar is driving prices up too, like everything else. I just saw some jars of DOP tomatoes for I think $6 each here in Brooklyn. Even non-DOP Italian tomatoes are going for $2-3 a can around here.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

The 35 ounce can of San Marzanos from BuonItalia in my cupboard was $1.95....but it doesn't have D.O.P. on label...not that I can find.

If it doesn't say DOP on the label it isn't. That does not mean that they aren't good tomatoes, but true DOP San Marzanos are at least a step up from most of the canned competition and even compare favorably to most fresh tomatoes.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

The 35 ounce can of San Marzanos from BuonItalia in my cupboard was $1.95....but it doesn't have D.O.P. on label...not that I can find.

If it doesn't say DOP on the label it isn't. That does not mean that they aren't good tomatoes, but true DOP San Marzanos are at least a step up from most of the canned competition and even compare favorably to most fresh tomatoes.

Only recently did learn that D.O.P. on the can means it's the real thing. I had always wondered why the San Marzanos I was buying weren't inspiring. I bought some fake San Marzanos -- "packed in San Marzano" -- at Fairway the other day. They were $1.67 a can -- I'll report on them once I try them. I often use Scalfani crushed tomatoes, which if you add enough butter taste pretty good.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Denominazione d'Origine Protetta. Basically, it indicates that the labeling of the product is subject to regulations that are supposed to ensure that you get what's advertised with regards to the origin of the product. You see this designation often on cheeses and wines (when it's DOC, Denominazione di Origine Controllata). I'm sure many of you can explain it more precisely than that, so please do!

Edited to add DOC info.

Edited by jogoode (log)

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I just bought some canned San Marzano DOP's at DiPaolo's yesterday - $2.79 for a 28 oz. can...says 2004 crop on the can.

Whoa! Good deal. Thanks, Weinoo. What is the brand? If you use them, please let us know how they are.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Denominazione d'Origine Protetta. Basically, it indicates that the labeling of the product is subject to regulations that are supposed to ensure that you get what's advertised with regards to the origin of the product. You see this designation often on cheeses and wines. (I'm sure many of you can explain it more precisely than that, so please do!)

Thank you!

From this site.

Acronym DOP (Denomination of Protected Origin) identifies the denomination of a product whose production, transformation and elaboration must have place in a geographic area determined and characterized from one recognized and stated skill.
Edited by jogoode (log)

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

I just bought some canned San Marzano DOP's at DiPaolo's yesterday - $2.79 for a 28 oz. can...says 2004 crop on the can.

Whoa! Good deal. Thanks, Weinoo. What is the brand? If you use them, please let us know how they are.

I was just in there and they had Pastaso DOP for $2.79 and La Valle DOP in kilo cans for $2.49. Considering the non-DOP cans were still around $1.99, that's not much markup at all for the DOP cans.

Now if it were possible to actually check out of Di Palo's in less than twenty minutes...

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I was just in there and they had Pastaso DOP for $2.79 and La Valle DOP in kilo cans for $2.49. Considering the non-DOP cans were still around $1.99, that's not much markup at all for the DOP cans.

Now if it were possible to actually check out of Di Palo's in less than twenty minutes...

Thanks! I've heard great things about La Valle.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

This gentleman used to be a barber in the city and had the tomatoe business on the side but now just imports tomatoes.  Check out his website.

http://www.sanmarzanoimports.com/

I've bought these several times and have liked them, however after reading this thread I checked the cans and they do not say "D.O.P."

So are they or aren't they?

---Guy

If they do not say so they aren't. I didn't see any indication on the website that the tomatoes are DOP.

Twitter - @docsconz