• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EVOO on the cheap?

fierydrunk

My Italian market guy in Philly turned me on to (Italian) Caroli brand. It is full-bodied and deep green in color -- really smells like olives. I like it. In Philly it cost 19.99 for a 3 litre can. In the lower midwest they gouge on anything that's not crisco so it is 27.99 a can, but that's still not bad for nearly a year's supply. (I use a lot of olive oil.) I keep it in the basement, and refill my smaller bottle to use in the kitchen. I don't know where you are located but if you have any sort of access to an Italian market try to get it there. Cans really save a lot of money.

Also, you can try brands from less-known countries. I've seen Koura brand from Lebanon in some Indian and arabic fod stores. It is not bad, especially if you are looking for bottles rather than cans.

edit: just checked my can. Make that a 6-9 month supply :hmmm: Still, better than the usual $10-12 for 750ml, and even higher where I am now.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

My Italian market guy in Philly turned me on to (Italian) Caroli brand. It is full-bodied and deep green in color -- really smells like olives. I like it. In Philly it cost 19.99 for a 3 litre can. In the lower midwest they gouge on anything that's not crisco so it is 27.99 a can, but that's still not bad for nearly a year's supply. (I use a lot of olive oil.) I keep it in the basement, and refill my smaller bottle to use in the kitchen. I don't know where you are located but if you have any sort of access to an Italian market try to get it there. Cans really save a lot of money.

Also, you can try brands from less-known countries. I've seen Koura brand from Lebanon in some Indian and arabic fod stores. It is not bad, especially if you are looking for bottles rather than cans.

edit: just checked my can. Make that a 6-9 month supply  :hmmm:  Still, better than the usual $10-12 for 750ml, and even higher where I am now.

A 3 litre can will last you a year? We must be drinking and bathing in the stuff in our house. :laugh:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Wash Post food section had an oil tasting for 3 bigwig local chefs and they too ranked Goya very highly. I bought a bottle and am waiting until I finish off my open bottle of EVOO to try it.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

We are experiencing some lean times and would like to continue to cook with and use olive oil that we can stomach that is easy on the wallet?

Remember also that it is not always necessary to use extra-virgin. It is better to use pure olive oil for sauteing, since it has a higher smoke point, and the high heat will destroy the subtler taste of virgin oil; it's a waste.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Thanks!  So would these brands be good for evoo and pure?

I think most brands that you're likely to find in a supermarket offer both types. I get filippo Berio in big cans for general cooking.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Frankly, for cooking I mostly just use Trader Joe's "Italian President's Reserve EVOO." They say it's cold pressed and made in Italy with olives from Sicily and Puglia; TJ just distributes and sells it. It tastes pretty good and is very cheap (as long as there's a TJ near you).

Emily

Along with the Goya as rated by Consumer Reports they also judged California Olive Ranch EVOO to be good as well. This is an Arbequina (Spanish variety) olive that is grown in northern Cali and planted in hedgerows for mechanical harvesting. Trader Joe's carries this under their name and smells of fresh mown grass with a great pepper finish. Used primarily to finish grilled veggies, robust fish, etc.. Not badly priced either.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

• 2 weeks later...

The Toscano oil that is available for around $10.00 at Costco this time of year is quite good. It seems to appear around now and lasts a few months till they sell out the year's product- I got my first since last summer last weekend.

I don't know if I would have tried this, but Lynne Rossetto Kasper recommended it when I took a wonderful class with her.

I have used the Costco evoo and was very happy with it. It is the only mass produced brand that has been properly dated and cheap to use for cooking and pleasant enough for using raw.

Costco buyers are picky. I know someone in the seafood distribution business and he said that most supermarkets are'nt too fussy about quality. But the Costco guys are tough on price and quality. So you generally get a decent product.