• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods That Shouldn't Go Together, But Do

Mayhaw Man

I didn't know that I had any cousins in NYC. That's great!

Especially Absinthe drinking cousins. Even better.

Although I am thinking with the reference to Central Grocery and the absinthe photo that you might be from more Southern climes. What gives?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Strwberry jello pretzel salad that my mil makes. She hates making it now because we (my family) always want it at get togethers. It crushed pretzels, cream cheese filling and strawberry jello.

Peanut butter on pancakes and french toast. Another thing my wifes family brought to the table.

tomato ketchup...

with blue cheese

especially on a medium rare burger.

or a garlic flavored hot dog.

on a toasted bun with pickle relish

don't know how to explain that vinegary tart tomato sauce with ooey gooey moldy blue cheese but it just does it for me :wub:

and has since i was about 4 years old - followed up only by blue cheese on a ritz cracker that has been liberally spread with miracle whip :shock:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I was in an odd mood one weekend morning and concocted a sandwich of peanut butter (natural), bacon, banana, and a few hot pepper flakes on toasted sourdough. Mmm -- hot, sour, salty, sweet (and crunchy).

This particular combo is referred to more commonly as the 'Elvis Sandwich'...you had a few tweaks though, the standard has no red pepper flakes and is grilled whole - as in the entire sandwich, not just the bread.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Polish Kielbasa with black-eyed peas.

My mother combined the two when we lived in PA for two years and were desperate for black-eyed peas and cornbread. That is how we make our peas all of the time now. Delicious!

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

My wife and i ( for a reason i can't remember now) put fresh rosemary, anise seed, and sugar in a spice grinder, pulsed it and rolled green seedless grapes in it. It has a deliciously unique taste. The taste kind of reminded me of that candy called "sweet tarts". People who didn't know what was on the grapes loved it. Most of the people we told before they ate one, declined to try them. Don't ya just hate that.

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

Mayhaw Man, Feb 13 2005, 05:44 PM SAID:

I didn't know that I had any cousins in NYC. That's great! Especially Absinthe drinking cousins. Even better. Although I am thinking with the reference to Central Grocery and the absinthe photo that you might be from more Southern climes.

Yeah, you rite! An' kin you believe we got da same name? Das sump'm, huh? I'm a New Orleans boy. Well....hardly "boy." I came to NYC to attend college, and am still here, centuries later. I get back to N.O. once or twice a year, mostly to see family, but also to reaffirm my regional identity.

I've loved perusing the Louisiana board. You're a terrific moderator (or boss-man, referee, Thread Commissar, or whatever they call it around here).

Let's hook up for some grub next time I'm home, whatcha say?

Thank you kindly for the welcome!

Brooks

Edited by BrooksNYC (log)

Now it seems like a natural combo, but I never would have thought of it on my own...

A restaurant here serves enchiladas filled with sweet potato puree and swiss chard, covered in mole sauce and queso fresco. Heaven on a plate, I tell you!

I was in an odd mood one weekend morning and concocted a sandwich of peanut butter (natural), bacon, banana, and a few hot pepper flakes on toasted sourdough. Mmm -- hot, sour, salty, sweet (and crunchy).

This particular combo is referred to more commonly as the 'Elvis Sandwich'...you had a few tweaks though, the standard has no red pepper flakes and is grilled whole - as in the entire sandwich, not just the bread.

Hmm, if it's good enough for the King, I'll have to try it that way -- a hunka hunka burnin' sandwich.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My favorite strange combo is salt bagels and grapefruit. I put cream cheese on the bagel, take a salty bite, then bite into the grapefruit. I could eat this all day. In fact, I do eat this at 3-4 breakfasts per week. I've only ever gotten one friend to try it, and he thought it was interesting but not necessarily good.

Hmm, if it's good enough for the King, I'll have to try it that way -- a hunka hunka burnin' sandwich.

Actually, Ive seen an 'elvis roll' sushi roll before. I think it may have been with tortilla instead of nori. :wacko:

I had a dish at an Afghan restaurant once that had pumpkin, a yogurt sauce, and a sort of meat based spaghetti sauce.  Wound up being my favorite dish of the night.

I've had that dish. It's terrific.

Michael aka "Pan"

Growing up, I thought my mom was nuts eating watermelon with a hard braided salty cheese in Lebanon. Little did I know that Feta and watermelon is an awsome combo....I did call to tell her that BTW.

One of my favorite quick snacks: Fritos and yogurt! You have to try this one. Use plain yogurt seasoned with a little salt, pour over fritos and enjoy. This is also a take on middle eastern food. I am used to eating a type of toasted flat bread made from corn with yogurt, so Fritos were a natural replacement. I even top it with some cooked spicy ground beef sometimes to make a Frito pie :smile:.

Elie

edit: plain corn flakes work good too, with a different texture/taste rpofile though.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I recall being repulsed by the shredded carrot with raisins salad served in the school cafeteria. I never even gave it a chance because it looked so bad. However, I adore broccoli salad with raisins and bacon (and red onion) as an adult, so I'm thinking maybe carrots and raisins probably aren't so bad. Still haven't tasted it yet, though.

And Sister Delia can't make me!  :angry:

Nor could sister Patricia...she was my nemesis.

seriously, sweet potato lends itself to seafood pretty well as I've also discovered. It took a while and some left over shrimp but I tried the sweet potato and shrimp cakes on the epicurious site and it's now an all time favorite. If anyone can direct me on how to post those sites I'd appreciate it. I usually copy and paste but if I leave what I'm typing for a second I've got to go through 25 pop up ads to get back to it! Major overhaul coming for mr. computer.

I have a kid who'll put choc. syrup on corn chips..HE says it's good.

sweet potato + fish = 80% of west african food (esp. ghana)

fu fu, for instance.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

I haven't seen my favorite yet. During the height of tomato season (MUST be made with REAL tomatoes) my nephew suggested a sandwich I couldn't imagine - squishy white bread, one side spread with Hellmans, the other with peanut butter. In the middle, sliced ripe tomato, bacon and fresh basil leaves. He told me to withhold my opinion till I tried it. Tried one. FABULOUS! Made another. Ran into my ex while eating second sandwich; he wanted to know what it was. Recoiled upon answer. Told him not to knock it until he tried it. He tried it. And took off with my sandwich!!

I haven't seen my favorite yet.  During the height of tomato season (MUST be made with REAL tomatoes) my nephew suggested a sandwich I couldn't imagine - squishy white bread, one side spread with Hellmans, the other with peanut butter.  In the middle, sliced ripe tomato, bacon and fresh basil leaves.  He told me to withhold my opinion till I tried it.  Tried one.  FABULOUS! Made another.  Ran into my ex while eating second sandwich; he wanted to know what it was.  Recoiled upon answer.  Told him not to knock it until he tried it.  He tried it.  And took off with my sandwich!!

wow! I'm going to have to try that! I have a house full of boys who'd pay good money to see mom turn green. I may have to make a practice run when they're not here though, cause it does seem kinda wierd...and I hate losing bets.