• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: therese - So, you want to remodel your kitchen?

therese

Almost forgot that I'd promised (or I think I promised) to show you what happens to basil seeds.

Before:

gallery_11280_793_414961.jpg

After steeping in hot water for several minutes. I also brewed chamomile tea at the same time, and have added tea masala. Plus I'm taking the picture through plastic, so it's all bit blurry. But you get the idea:

gallery_11280_793_114530.jpg

Can you pee in the ocean?

gallery_11280_793_366704.jpg

See, now therese and I are a lot alike, but I've got to admit, if that were my lunch, I'd say, "OK, but where's the goddamned food?" There's no way I could get through my day on that.

Maybe I should start sneaking food over to her office.

As it turned out I didn't eat the apple, the cheese, or the carrots and cucumbers. I did get a piece of roast chicken offered as part of free lunch today.

I particularly remember a series published by Time Life, with each book in the series featuring a different part of the world. More a travel series than just a cook book, sort of "A Cook's Tour" without all the swearing.

Please be honest: do you use or at least read them often? I am kicking myself for getting rid of my Dad's collection the last time I moved.

If so, maybe I need to start picking them up at tag sales?

My mom still has them, and I think she's got pretty much the entire set (seems like there were a couple she might have decided against keeping---they came month by month as a preview basis). I usually look at one or two when we visit.

I still remember particular pictures that struck my fancy: the lumberjack's enormous breakfast in the Pacific Northwest, platters of cold meats dressed in aspic jewels in French Haute Cuisine, candies made of squash in Latin America, curries dressed with silver foil in Inda, the little blond boy eating bread and butter with radishes in France.

I need to make sure I get these in the will.

I grew up reading these volumes. James Beard consulted on the series. The volumes on Southern cooking and Creole/Acadian cuisine alone are worth the price of admission.

Other memories:

--how to make puff pastry in the style of Scandanavia (including a recipe for butter tarts)

--a recipe for wild "chestnuts" with shrimp paste (Japanese volume)

--old fashioned baked beans in Boston

--the glories of Austrian-Hungarian and German cuisine

Get them if you can. :smile:

Soba

The foot pedal operated option earned me all sorts of freaked out looks everywhere I went: husband, contractor, plumber, fixture salesperson. So never mind.

This is the product you need to look for. Not sure if it can be installed with a wall mount faucet, but it never hurts to ask.

http://www.integradynamics.com/

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Okay, let's have some more questions.

Like "Wow, that's one scarily clean counter and sink you've got there. Is your kitchen always that tidy? Do you have OCD? Seriously---you put out fresh soap? Was the old soap dirty?"

Okay, answers please to all of the above. :biggrin:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Okay, let's have some more questions.

Like "Wow, that's one scarily clean counter and sink you've got there. Is your kitchen always that tidy? Do you have OCD? Seriously---you put out fresh soap? Was the old soap dirty?"

Okay, answers please to all of the above. :biggrin:

Heh heh.

No. I do manage to achieve that level of tidiness, depending on the work surface in question (the closer to actual food prep the cleaner it gets) at regular and frequent intervals (twice on weekdays, varies from once to three times on weekends depending how much advance prep I'm doing, or entertaining or whatever), but then it all mysteriously goes to hell about 22 seconds after I've finished the last wipe.

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the children (and I'm going to include The Man in that number), something to do with their mere presence in the room. I know this because on the rare occasions that I'm alone in the house for more than a day nothing gets dirty. Dusty perhaps, but no actual messiness of any sort.

And the old soap had gotten so small that it didn't photograph well, and I wanted to make sure you could tell that there was that groovy soapdish up there.

Breakfast today was Fiber One cereal. The picture's a bit blurry, but that's not necessarily a bad thing: fiber is really not very photogenic. I've spared you the "with milk" picture.

Actually, I've just edited it to remove that terrible blurry picture entirely. It was disturbing my karma. I'll try again tomorrow.

Foggy this morning, so the view from the breakfast room is a bit spooky. That's my grandmother's butter churn on the floor. The windows wrap around two sides of the room, floor to ceiling. The lower ones are awning style: you twist that little handle and they open out. The upper ones are fixed.

gallery_11280_802_105601.jpg

The yard is full of very tall trees, such that we get very little sun. This means that I cannot grow tomatoes, though I'm going to try in a new bed that was created when we added the garage. We'll see.

Edited by therese (log)

The foot pedal operated option earned me all sorts of freaked out looks everywhere I went: husband, contractor, plumber, fixture salesperson. So never mind.

This is the product you need to look for. Not sure if it can be installed with a wall mount faucet, but it never hurts to ask.

http://www.integradynamics.com/

Wow. This looks like just the sort of thing I'd like. I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work for the wall mount faucet, as the pipes below it are the same as a deck mount.

Now I'm going to love my kitchen even more than I already do.

I hate you for having such a nice kitchen you know. Now that I've looked at all the details of it, I've decided you're not my friend any longer. :hmmm:

Well, on second thought, there aren't many other people who share an interest in "crap in a glass," so, OK, you can be my friend again.

The fact that just a mention of those Time-Life books in that series strikes a chord with so many people reading this blog is notable. I happen to have one of them, the one on Russia (which encompasses all the countries in the former Soviet Union), and I love it. I'm thinking of digging around to collect the whole set.

Is there already a thread on those books? Because there should be.

I grew up reading these volumes.  James Beard consulted on the series.  The volumes on Southern cooking and Creole/Acadian cuisine alone are worth the price of admission.

Other memories:

--how to make puff pastry in the style of Scandanavia (including a recipe for butter tarts)

Get them if you can.  :smile:

Soba

I'm thinking that it may actually have been the Southern and Creole/Acadian versions that my mother returned. Or maybe I just didn't find them as compelling.

Did any of you read any of the Foxfire series? Life in Appalachia, with lots of food-related stuff.

As for the specifics that Soba recalls, so do I. Seems like the recipe that used shrimp paste to make "chestnuts" had something in the middle (maybe it was a chestnut, actually), and then the outside was coated with something sort of spiny to look like the spiny sort of outside shell. Like little tiny shiny dark sticks of pasta.

Oh dear, now I need to go visit my mother.

Well, on second thought, there aren't many other people who share an interest in "crap in a glass," so, OK, you can be my friend again.

By way of explanation, "crap in a glass" refers to all beverage type sorts of sweets that involve the addition of particulate solids, like basil seeds or jelly strips or pasta bits or nuts or young coconut bits or tapioca pearls. The reference extends to include ice-based sweets that similarly involve assembled "bits".

There's a very wide range of "crap in a glass" available locally.

Have you ever churned butter in that churn?  I wonder how much butter it makes in a batch.

I've churned lots and lots of butter in that churn, but none since I was a child. My grandfather had a stroke when I was 13 that left him pretty disabled, and my grandmother carried on alone for several years, but they finally sold the farm and moved to town (several counties away, to the town where my aunt lived). My grandmother still kept a huge garden, but no more milk cows or chicken coop or smokehouse.

The amount of butter the churn makes depends on how much cream you put in in the first place. The milk was strained into sterilized glass jars immediately upon returning from the barn. Some was sold to neighbors with the cream intact (they'd arrive in the afternoon carrying the empty jars to be recycled, usually in an old paper bag that was soft and almost velvety from use), but all of the household's milk was skimmed (so I grew up drinking skim milk, which I prefer---homogenized whole milk seems very odd to me) and the cream collected.

Different types of cows produce different % butterfat milk. Holsteins (the black and white ones) produce lower fat milk, whereas Guernseys and Jerseys produce higher fat milk. The amount of cream will also vary with the cows' diet and time of year (and presumably where they are in their reproductive cycles). Basically it took longer to collect sufficient cream in the winter than in the summer.

It also took longer for the cream to clabber before churning in the winter. A day or two in the summer, five or more days in the winter.

In the summer the churn was filled about two thirds of the way up with cream. I'd estimate that about one third of that volume ended up as butter. The butter was drained, chilled and washed with spring water (ice cold, even in summer), salted, and put up in wooden molds (my favorite left a shamrock imprint in the butter).

The liquid left behind in the churn is the buttermilk. A very refreshing beverage on a hot day, and also used in cooking (particularly cornbread, which was made, along with biscuits, every single day).

Seems like my grandmother would put up somewhere between 5 and 10 molds at a time (very rough memory there). She sold butter and eggs in addition to milk and cream. The money was kept in little dish on top of a tall cabinet---it was hers to use as she saw fit.

I grew up reading these volumes.  James Beard consulted on the series.  The volumes on Southern cooking and Creole/Acadian cuisine alone are worth the price of admission.

Other memories:

Get them if you can.   :smile:

Soba

I'm thinking that it may actually have been the Southern and Creole/Acadian versions that my mother returned. Or maybe I just didn't find them as compelling.

Did any of you read any of the Foxfire series? Life in Appalachia, with lots of food-related stuff.

As for the specifics that Soba recalls, so do I. Seems like the recipe that used shrimp paste to make "chestnuts" had something in the middle (maybe it was a chestnut, actually), and then the outside was coated with something sort of spiny to look like the spiny sort of outside shell. Like little tiny shiny dark sticks of pasta.

Oh dear, now I need to go visit my mother.

I remember it as clear as day...

Make shrimp paste, coat around turnip ball. Roll ball around crushed noodles. Deep fry noodles till shrimp paste is cooked and noodles are golden brown. Split apart noodle ball with a knife tip, remove turnip ball and reserve for another use, and insert a sweet glazed peeled chestnut.

Ok, back to the blog. :wink:

Soba

Questions.

Can you grow figs in spite of your lack of sun?(love the trees)

Have you developed that nervous tick that you get when someone puts a backpack or car keys on your beautifully cleaned countertops?

Are you gonna splurge for the Tapmaster?

Do tell.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

wall-mount faucet with large apron front sink :wub: If/when we ever remodel our small kitchen (and no room to expand unless some rich relative I don't know about leaves us a LOT of money), I want one of each of those. Part of my plan for a period-appropriate (also 1920's) kitchen.

Is your counter soapstone?

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

[...]

The fact that just a mention of those Time-Life books in that series strikes a chord with so many people reading this blog is notable. I happen to have one of them, the one on Russia (which encompasses all the countries in the former Soviet Union), and I love it. I'm thinking of digging around to collect the whole set.

And indeed, there is! :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]

And indeed, there is! :biggrin:

Thank you so much for that link. There was a time when I felt somewhat overly geeky about the fact that I owned that one installment and thought that it was so cool. Knowing that there are other people who like these makes me want to seek out the whole set. I think that's my new mission in life, actually.

I had lunch with the blogger again today. Boy, she's swell. :biggrin:

Isn't it called "johnnycake" when it's made with sugar and "cornbread" when it's not?

Johnnycakes are non-sweet pancakes cooked on a griddle from a cornmeal batter. They originated in Rhode Island and do not traditionally have sugar in the batter--but they can be served with butter and syrup for breakfast or as part of a savory dish. They're said to date back to the orignal settlers who may have received a recipe like this from the Indians.

edited to add: they're very similar to hoecakes as therese just described above.

Thank you both for the clarification. I should have known that my passport is the wrong colour to have got it right the first time around. :laugh:

Questions.

Can you grow figs in spite of your lack of sun?(love the trees)

Have you developed that nervous tick that you get when someone puts a backpack or car keys on your beautifully cleaned countertops?

Are you gonna splurge for the Tapmaster?

Do tell.

Figs:

One of my neighbors has a fig in her (I think it's a her) front yard. I walk by it on my way to work, and as the figs get closer and closer to ready I find myself walking by the tree just a bit more slowly...and then they're gone. I have no idea what happens to the figs. Anyway, her front yard's pretty sunny. I don't know if I'd be able to grow figs on our lot---I've only got one sort of sunny bank, and I grow hydrangeas on that.

I have what amounts to a fresh fig fetish, by the way. Figs and scuppernongs, late summer heaven.

We did just landscape our front yard, and I'm pleased to announce that we'll be growing star anise (entirely by accident---the landscape guy only mentioned that it was the plant that produces star anise after it was in the ground).

Tidiness vs mental health:

No, I've not developed a nervous tic that's related to backpacks and keys and so forth on the kitchen counters---they're sturdy functional sorts of counters, meant for use. I barely even flinch when such items are tossed on the fancy table in the foyer, as I wisely chose a stone table top for it as well.

It's when one of them approaches the formal mahogony dining room table and sideboard that I find myself breathing a bit too quickly and my voice climbing an octave or two. I'll show the formal dining room later in the blog, by the way.

Finally, the Tapmaster:

Well, we'll check it out. If it's as cool as it looks I may just. In which case I'll let everybody know how it works out. Though that will be after the blog's finished, as we're pretty booked for the rest of the week.

Is your counter soapstone?

No, but that's the look I was going for. They're black granite (there's some name for it, I suppose---it's the one that's plain black) with a honed finish instead of polished. I didn't want a polished surface, as it's needs to be kept shiny. Yeah, that's what I need, more work.

Soapstone's not used too frequently in this area, and my contractor's usual stone fabricator was not used to working with it, so in the end it was going to be a thrash.

The drawbacks to the granite are that it gets cold in winter, and it's hard as hell. The very first meal that I cooked in this house was Christmas dinner (the story of our moving back into the house and the housewarming's funny---somebody needs to remind me to tell it somewhere along the way), and halfway through the meal my husband got up to open another bottle of wine. He hit the bottom of the bottle against the counter and it basically exploded.

The advantages are that I can set hot pans directly on it, and it cleans up nicely.

I did indeed have lunch with TheFoodTutor again today, but it's going to take me a while to upload all the images. Plus I have to cook dinner. So while I'm doing that you can all play "I Spy" with my grocery shopping.

After lunch I went to Dekalb Farmers Market, where I do most of my food shopping. I've been going there since I first moved to Atlanta in 1985, at which time it was in much smaller digs. It's pretty amazing (there are couple of threads over on the Southeast forum that talk about it), and I feel particularly lucky to live so close to it.

Anyway, here's the game. Look at the picture and list one item that you see there. If you want to list more than one item do it with a separate post. Most of the items are identifiable, though some you'll have to guess at.

gallery_11280_802_82427.jpg