• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southwark

Andrew Fenton

The SO and myself took an out-of-town foodie friend there last Thursday. The bar area wasn't too crowded, so we sat at the corner of the bar.

For Dining Out For Life, there were a few slightly-higher-end specials (Kip mentioned that Sheri did this specifically to up the total cost of the donation) most notably, the outrageously rich, meaty smoked boar chops. About which my friend is still raving. And I loved the proscuitto-wrapped poke appetizer.

My SO got the rabbit. I was too busy nibbling on the boar bones to analyse it more than to say that it was excellent.

I got their wonderful, classic escargot in chartreuse butter with hazelnuts and an intensely lamb-y lamb dish that also included goat cheese and mint ravioli and duck/fig sausage. I find the trend in lamb in restaurants to be so mild as to be bland, so I was thrilled that the lamb was so full of flavor.

• 1 year later...

Surprised to see that this thread's been dormant for over a year. Isn't anyone going to Southwark any more? Actually, it has been a while since I've been for dinner. As for cocktails, however.... Most of the crew from last week's dinner at Cochon headed over to Southwark for a nightcap and a little extra chewing (or digesting) of the fat.

gallery_31378_6007_9597.jpg

The Sazerac was a mighty good starting point.

gallery_31378_6007_8853.jpg

And the much debated Manhattan put just the right finishing touch on the evening.

A couple of additional photos and a short write-up can be found at: Late Night at Southwark.

Must head back for a meal sometime soon.

Four of us had dinner there sometime last year and while it was good, none of us thought it was a place we'd return to. It was a Saturday night and both the bar and the restaurant were about 50% full. It was a cold evening, as I recall, so maybe folks were staying home.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

I have been having excellent experiences every time I go. We had the liver and onions last time we were in. They were going off the menu the next week and highly recommended from Kip and George. Awesometown.

George actually had my lady convinced that the Jackalope above the entrance had been mowed down by a vicious Hoopsnake. You can't say those guys aren't funny.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

George actually had my lady convinced that the Jackalope above the entrance had been mowed down by a vicious Hoopsnake.  You can't say those guys aren't funny.

You mean that's not true?!?! Crap...

That Manhattan pictured above, that George whipped up for us, was pretty awesome. If I recall, it was Sazerac Rye and some obscure vermouth - Katie, do you remember?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

George actually had my lady convinced that the Jackalope above the entrance had been mowed down by a vicious Hoopsnake.  You can't say those guys aren't funny.

You mean that's not true?!?! Crap...

That Manhattan pictured above, that George whipped up for us, was pretty awesome. If I recall, it was Sazerac Rye and some obscure vermouth - Katie, do you remember?

That'd be the Carpano Antica Formula. Just now available in PA due to some serious diligence by George and Nick to make sure we could get it. It's expensive - about $38/bottle, but does magical things to Manhattans, Negronis, etc. where the sweet vermouth is a major player. It's even delicious on the rocks with a twist as an aperitif.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 6 months later...

So, as we were sampling the very tasty Shepherd's Pie, we wondered if anyone else actually uses mutton, like, you know, a shepherd might.

gallery_23992_5408_128666.jpg

Even in Southwark's case, it's not a really old sheep, so it's not super funky gamey mutton, but they did arrange with a local farmer for an adult animal, so the shredded meat has a nice full flavor. Prepared the way it is, with fresh vegetables and a rich broth, topped with fluffy mashed potatoes, it's a really delicious version.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with ground beef in a shepherd's pie, but if you want a more shepherdy version, make your way to Southwark.

Oh, and while you're there, you might want a nice cocktail, say, like the Brooklyn in the background...

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

• 4 months later...

We were in town for a brief visit and for the first time went to Southwark. We did not dine but stopped for drinks. Maggie had a very well made Aviation and I had a Manhattan with the Carpano Antica vermouth and the Rittenhouse 100 rye.

These were two outstanding drinks. I'm sure this is no surprise to anyone here, but this place is great. Great drinks, great service, a great vibe.

• 6 months later...

I can't believe a half-full dining room in this place at 7:30 on a Friday night! It's one of the best, most consistent menus in the city.

They're moving over to the fall menu. We can't get away from the buttery clams with vermouth and chili, but there's a lot of other great-looking stuff on the menu. The website is not up-to-date, unfortunately and I can't remember all of the new stuff. They also have a lot of great beers on the list. This is the perfect restaurant for Fall and Winter, Sheri Wade always gets some amazing hearty dishes going! I hope that Liver and Onions gets back on there...

</unpaid shill>

Edited by mattohara (log)

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

• 10 months later...

Has anyone been lately? Walked by and checked out the latest menu and couldn't help but notice a sausage plate and chicken liver mousse with the return of the half roasted chicken. All sounds great but haven't been in well over a year and was too late to get in for a bite tonight. Any thoughts worth an earlier visit?

I've eaten there a few times recently, and I think the kitchen is really on their game right now.

I've had a few of their sausage platters - all of which have been quite delicious.

Southwark-ChickenChorizoR.jpg

Chicken Chorizo

Southwark-BPSausageR.jpg

Black Pepper Sausage

Their sous-chef is making the sausages in-house, along with various other charcuterie. They had a duck prosciutto recently that was beautifully done: tender, intensely-flavored, a little halo of fat practically vaporizing on the tongue, contrasted by crunchy canary melon and purslane.

Southwark-DuckProsciuttoR.jpg

Duck prosciutto

That roasted half-chicken was juicy, with perfectly crisp skin, and was seated on a bed of creamy succotash. Textbook comfort food, as was the shortrib, the braised pork belly...

Southwark-ChickenR.jpg

Southwark-ShortribR.jpg

Southwark-PorkBellyR.jpg

But the food's not all farm-style and old-fashioned. We tried a fluke ceviche recently that featured peaches, summer squash and micro-tomatoes. That dish would have been right at home at the hippest restaurant in any big city.

Southwark-CevicheR.jpg

So, short version: go! The food's always been good, but they seem re-energized right now.

philadining.com