• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your preferred number?

rich

When throwing a dinner party (and I do one once a week), what's you favorite number of guests?

Including myself and my wife, I feel most comfortable with six. It seems things go very smoothly. I can plate all the dishes as my wife delivers them to the table, the soup stays hot as I serve each one and four bottles (two white, two red) of wine work perfectly.

Eight would be my next choice, but I hate cooking for four. With four the conversation appears to wane when I'm serving and when we're cleaning the table. The number of wine bottles never is right and it's more difficult to pace the courses.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I run with a pretty casual crowd so being able to spend a lot of effort plating (unless we are cooking buddies having fun with a concept) doesn't really figure in my plans. That being said, I like four and a maximum of six for a sit down affair. I just like smaller groups. Beyond that, the crowd mushrooms and it is definitely a buffet type affair. I actually can only put up with one of those maybe once a year.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The saying that dinner guests should number more than the graces and fewer than the muses seems to make practical sense: four seems to be the bare minimum for good conversation although I prefer six for more interaction, and eight is the most I could ever imagine cooking for. Six is my favorite, as my table most comfortably seats six. I could accomodate eight, and even ten if the chairs touch, but I can't imagine voluntarily having more than eight, ever.

I don't ever throw formal 'dinner parties' but when cooking for others four is the perfect number for me. It means I don't have to make multiple batches of whatever I am making, there is usually good conversation, without it seeming like a crowd, and I don't have to take too many dietary constraints into account.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

All my service ware is for 4 people :D. But I'm not currently attached so it's me + 3 friends which seems to keep the conversation going.

My dinner parties tend to be overly elaborate as it's a rare chance to do big, complex set pieces so anything more than 4 gets exausting. For less formal parties, 6 - 8 seems good.

PS: I am a guy.

six. me my boyfriend, a wildcard and another couple. never three couples, ick.

It works because one chicken is never enough, beer comes in sixes, buns whatever, it almost seems less wasteful to cook for six people than for four (perhaps I need to start portioning better) also, with six people, five say nice things after the meal :raz:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Six seems like the most comfortable number for me from a cooking/serving viewpoint, 8 doesn't change things too much.......however, my table only seats 4 comfortably (gotta love apt living) so I often end up with too few people or I have to rearrange major furniture....

I like eight or ten -- enough to fill the table and get a proper crowd buzz going. More than ten and it gets tricky.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.