• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barista competitions

phaelon56

In a "SERVICE" thread in DC/DelMarVa forum Bux asked the following question

I'm wondering exactly what's involved in the presentation of the espresso in the competition. Is it something that can really be learned from a world class restaurant, or is it mostly about the appearance of the coffee in the cup. Do they judge the quality of the china cup and the way the sugar is packaged and presented? Is the coffee brought to the judge's table by a server or is it a matter of stepping up to the bar. I wouldn't expect a barista to be judged by more than the appearance of the coffee in the cup and somehow, I'd expect the rules of the contest to specifiy a standard cup and elminate those other factors that are more about the elegance and luxury of the setting. Tell me more.

Here's a place to start...

Specialty Coffee Association 2005 Barista Competition press release

Most of the pertinent details providing a high level overview are available there.

I'll start by commenting on the question of

Is it something that can really be learned from a world class restaurant

In a word - no. The reason being that the highest quality espresso and espresso based drinks being prepared and served around the world today are coming from independent cafes and coffeehouses. I have yet to hear of a restaurant, even one operating at the highest levels of price and quality, that offers truly outstanding world-class espresso. Perhaps the two are mutually exclusive without some fundamental shifts in attituide and perception occurring?

There is sometimes a tendency here at eG to discuss the coffee/espresso experience in the context of fine dining. Wouldn't it seem that the only way a true world-class barista experience could be delivered in a fine dining setting would be if a separate espresso/coffee lounge was provided that guests to could retire to after their meal? I should think that the noise of milk steaming, the on/off of the espresso machine's pump and many other factors would preclude having the actual espresso prep area within the dining room.

Additionally, we might consider the issues of presentation and speed of serving. Straight espresso itself is a fragile drink with a short window of time in which to truly appreciate its wonders. Properly made milk based drinks such as a tradtional cappuccino or even specialty drinks typically are best served within no more than a minute or two (literally) of their preparation.

On a separate note.... apart from encouraging young people to pursue careers and providing an incentive for skills development... do the Barista Competitions serve a higher purpose? Are they at present or could they, properly publicized and promoted, become an important vehicle for educating the public about the exciting changes that have taken place in espresso culture just within the past few years? If so how might this be accomplished?

• 2 months later...

Interesting article here on 'world's best barista' championship.

"...Poulsen’s signature drink, called ESB for “enhanced sensory balance,” mixed pepper, espresso and lavender..."

15 timeframe includes cleanup - pretty stringent!

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

they actually got 15 minutes to clean (plus 15 to prep and 15 to make the drinks), but most cleaned in about 5 mins. clearly, one element the technical judges were watching was whether the station remained clean *during* the drink-making -- perhaps as a true sign of comfort and skill behind the bar.

many of the finalists finished their 12 drinks well shy of the 15 minutes; i think the Dane was done in about 13.

since watching the competition, i've been second-guessing my espresso shots at home all week.

• 3 weeks later...

since watching the competition, i've been second-guessing my espresso shots at home all week.

You got to watch?!!? *jealous*

I've only been in one latte art competition, but I've never gotten more intelligent questions from the customers than I did right afterwards. It was pretty eye- opening.

In short, yes, I think these competitions can be useful in educating the public about the difference between a Barista and a latte-slinger. :biggrin: