• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

whats a good place on a weekend ?

Greg Ling

It's late today and I have to go out with my dad and sister tonight,so of course I forgot to make reservations .Can any egulleters out there help me out?

I actually do this alot so this would be good for anytime.

I was thinking dimitri"s.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

dmitri's is a great option if you get there early enough to not have to wait forever. however, i can heartily recommend the food at the 23rd st. location, AND they have a bar, and it's bigger. the atmosphere of the original is missing, but it's a good place to go nonetheless.

Dmitri's is a great idea on any night EXCEPT for a Friday or Saturday. Interminable wait if you aren't lined up by 5:30 PM. I still like the charm and BYO aspect of the original at 3rd & Catharine.

Don't forget that it's Valentine's Day weekend, and since it falls on Monday, I'm betting a lot of folks are out tonight, tomorrow and Sunday evening instead. Even if a place doesn't accept reservations, I'd check and see how packed they are before braving it.

Other BYO possibilities include Overtures, Rx, Marigold Kitchen, Azafran, Bistro 7 (new place), La Boheme or Plume (also new in South Philly).

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thank's for the help,But pops wants to go to that koreant place that used to be a burger shack at 69th st.He's tired of cooking western food all day.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Instead of the korean place we went to a porteguese restaurant in olney "caldas" .

the qwner was suprised to see three chinese peoplein a neighborhood joint,and when my sis spoke porteguese he started pourin' some homemade wine ,vinho verde really good.

for starters we had grilled quail,3 to an order wood griied really fresh,some chorirco that they flamed and some octopus salad all excelent.

For entrees we had paella that had alot of seafood (whole lobster,shrimp ,calamari etc.).A fillet house style that was good but came with this weird room temp soup that had rice ,beans,shredded lettuce and dishwater.I had the feijoda? which apparently is the national dish of brazil,I've never had pig ears that tasted so good,we didnt get desserts but alot of drinks($3.25) johnny black and the totalwas eighty bucks.

Greg:

As Forum Host I insist that you tell where this place is! :biggrin:

I'm smelling a DDC dinner....

Can we bring you and your sister to interpret for us?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A Chinese girl who speaks Portuguese?  Cool.

A Portuguese restaurant in Olney?  Pretty cool too.

What's Caldas' address?

Hey Herb we went to school with you ,Yeah I work in kitchens for ten years cant pick up spanish ,but my sister speaks that and portuguese.

oh Yeah there are alot of portuguese places up here,mostly bad though.

Is it a pretty big place?  If so, sounds like it might be where the Schwarzwald Inn used to be.  Olney and Mascher would be about right, or 2nd and Olney.

It's right next to the old schwarzwald inn which is now a illegal korean gambling joint.

In reference to the original topic,we have many times found ourselves needing to find a

Saturday night dinner without a reservation. It is usually a pretheater time frame. So far we have gone to Chloe (virtually empty if you get there before 6), El Vez (they wouldnt give us a reservation, saying they were full, but seated us when we walked in at 630), Pastoral (Korean), and Valanni (we were able to get seated there on two different occaisions without a reservation at about 630). I would appreciate any other Center City suggestions, since we are absolutely unable to get it together fast enought to make advance reservations.

I would appreciate any other Center City suggestions, since we are absolutely unable to get it together fast enought to make advance reservations.

In general, any place that doesn't take reservations would be a good bet, I'd think; that's doubly true if you get there early. You mentioned Chloe: I'd add Lolita to the list. (They've started taking reservations during the week, but not, I believe, on weekends.)

Then there are places that just don't tend to fill up. Sansom St. Kebab House is never that full; it's cheap and good; and as I've said recently, I always feel like I ought send more business (especially my own) their way. Also, I've found lots of the Chinatown standbys to be fine for a weekend walk-in.