• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner Suggestions near Park Hyatt

poutine

Will be in Toronto the entire week of Feb 21 for business & am looking for dinner suggestions. Criteria is: within walking distance or very short cab ride from Park Hyatt, excellent cuisine, superior wine list, great service, casual business atmosphere (no jackets or ties required). Also very important that it be good value for the money. I don't really care if it's terribly expensive, as long as we all walk away & feel it was worth spending the big bucks for. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanking all TO e-gulleters in advance!

Truffles across the street in the 4 Seasons can be outstanding (not cheap). I have had good meals at Pangaea - 2 blocks east. Also to be considered are Prego (directly across the street), Joso (a few blocks north) and I am sure many more.

Will be in Toronto the entire week of Feb 21 for business & am looking for dinner suggestions.  Criteria is: within walking distance or very short cab ride from Park Hyatt, excellent cuisine, superior wine list, great service, casual business atmosphere (no jackets or ties required).  Also very important that it be good value for the money.  I don't really care if it's terribly expensive, as long as we all walk away & feel it was worth spending the big bucks for.  Any suggestions would be very welcome.  Thanking all TO e-gulleters in advance!

I love Joso's. The fish is superb.

Opus on Prince Arthur. Arguably the best wine list in Canada, service is excellent as is the food. I think you would be pleased. That being said, everything reccommended thus far has been high-end. I personally prefer Opus to meals at the other suggestions, unless you are specifically looking for fish, then Joso's is superb.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

People like Boba, just up Avenue road from the Park Hyatt. Was there once a few years ago and remember it as pretty good. I do currently like Michelle's Brasserie. It's in a lane behind the Four Seasons just across the road from the Park Hyatt. It's an interesting and comfortable place with an OK wine list but extensive beer list to accompany well prepared bistro food. The other restaurants mentioned here are OK but not particularly good value especially compared with what you're likely used to in Montreal. The best I've found in the neighbourhood is Il Posto, again across the road in a lane called York Square.

I am afraid there is really no value in the places listed, particularly with Opus where the wine list is great but the mark-ups are great also. The sad thing is that I can not think of any places of good value in that area so beware. I would go for Truffles personally.

officially left egullet....

I am afraid there is really no value in the places listed, particularly with Opus where the wine list is great but the mark-ups are great also.  The sad thing is that I can not think of any places of good value in that area so beware.  I would go for Truffles personally.

Not think of any places of good value in that area?

2 that are not CHEAP, but good value:

Pangea, and Prego de la Piazza...both VERY close, and good.

I thank everyone for their suggestions. Still have a week to go before arrival so I will check back to see if anyone else has any further comments. Brab made a good point; being from Montreal perhaps our bar is set a bit higher (or maybe too high?)

I am afraid there is really no value in the places listed, particularly with Opus where the wine list is great but the mark-ups are great also.  The sad thing is that I can not think of any places of good value in that area so beware.  I would go for Truffles personally.

Not think of any places of good value in that area?

2 that are not CHEAP, but good value:

Pangea, and Prego de la Piazza...both VERY close, and good.

People obviously have different views of what value is (which I very much respect), however, I clearly differ with these views on my opinions on the same. In Montreal I would use La Colombe and Les Infideles as a measure of great and fantastic value. There are no places in this area like this that I am aware of. I hope this is of assistance for you to measure value.

You’re staying in an expensive area, and Toronto doesn’t do ‘expensive’ well, as the local clientele doesn’t support it.

Best wine selection is nominally at Opus. However, EVERY time I’ve been there, my first choice has been out-of-stock. Other people report similar issues.

Best restaurant is Truffles at Four Seasons. Perfect service and good, if somewhat safe, food. OK Wine List.

Most other restaurants in the area are ‘trendy’ rather than worthwhile. I don’t like Boba (others do) so haven’t been there for a long time, and can’t comment on current desirability (or otherwise).

Michelle’s Brasserie is not that great. A far better bet, although a 15-min walk, is Le Paradis – regularly voted the best Brasserie in Toronto.

Joso’s has decent fish at high prices.

I think Il Posto has disappeared (there’s construction around where it used to be, but it may still be there hidden behind the hoardings). And Prego is safe, but not really exciting.

I don’t understand the enthusiasm for Pangaea. I’ve had 3 meals there over 10 years (approx), the most recent being last month and I’ve never thought it performed well (I only try it because others recommend but it will be at least 3 more years before I return).

And thoroughly endorse Scaramouche (by cab) they do everything well.

BUT almost all those above (OK, not the Brasserie’s) will ‘strongly recommend’ jackets. You’re just not in the right area for casual chic or dining. You’ll have to move a little further to find those.

For example, Splendido is a 10-minute cab ride south and seems much more like what you are seeking.

Can anyone comment on Morton's in the Park Hyatt? Since it's in the hotel thought it might be an option for a late arrival dinner on a quiet Sunday night (Truffles is closed Sundays). Is it comparable to any of the steak houses in Montreal like Queue de Cheval, 40 Westt, Moishes or Gibbys?

Morton's is overated. It is a crappy American steak chain that has one big gimmick: showing you the raw meat on a cart wrapped in cellophane when ordering. In my opinion, Ruth's Chris is not much better. Morton's has had numerous complaints of not cooking to the correct doneness as well. They are also a la carte charging for the steamed veggies and potatoes separtely. If you want a decent steak experience, try Barberians, Harbour 60, or Carman's (for Garlic lovers only).

I second the idea of taking a short cab ride to Splendido, a nice chic place serving good food. Yorkville is not the place where most Torontonians go for food as it caters to mostly the tourist clientelle. For that you would need to go further south.

Mark

I was at Flow few weeks ago.. (Winterlicous), where the old Movenpick is. It is a very decent restaurant other than the pretty crapy corktails.. (And considering the food is excellent even we are paying the winterlicous price.)

(It's right next to four seasons)

Michael

Thanks all - I so appreciate all the responses to date. So far I'm leaning towards Splendido. A problem I'm encountering is many restaurants (Truffles, Scaramouche) are closed Sunday night - what's up with that? So I'm willing to expand my criteria to include a short cab ride away. I've seen so many differing opinions I'm a bit confused. On the Montreal boards, I believe there is more consensus when it comes to the best of the best. How about something comparable to (to name a few) Les Chevres, Toqué, Bronté, Chez L'Epicier, Area or Cube?

If Splendido is open on Sunday, go there....

If they have the grilled calamari salad as an App, GET IT...the best calamari I have ever had, melt in your mouth!

Other than that, If you want THE BEST OF THE BEST here is my Top 3 in no particular Order

Splendido

Susur

Scaramouche

Hmm wierd, all start with S.....CONSPIRACY?! :raz:

sadistick - Unfortunately Scaramouche is closed on Sundays, so is Pangea.  How far a cab ride is Susur from Park Hyatt?  Does Susur have a website?

On a Sunday Susur is about a 10 minute cab ride. The web site is www.susur.com

The closed on Sunday thing is a little anoying. I very much enjoyed Susur when I was there. I also think they may have BYOW now so bring some good wine from the SAQ Signature store now that it is open again. I agree with Sadistick, if Splendido is open on Sunday, go there. Cheers.

Edited by mkjr (log)

Sadly Susur too is closed Sunday. Can anyone comment on Sassafraz (which is open Sundays)? What about Mortons vs. Barbarians vs. Senator vs. Ruth Chris - is there a steakhouse that one could consider "the benchmark" ... can any one say compare to Queue de Cheval, Gibbys or Moishes?

Edited by poutine (log)

Splendido is open on Sunday's and is a good night to go. Usually lot's of restaurant people there on that day. Sunday's are slow in the city and restaurants want to have a full day off to relax, thus the limited openings. But stick with Splendido and you'll be happy.

I am pretty sure Splendido is open on Sunday. So is Chiado. Those are the limited top-end options on Sunday.

You can actually walk to Splendido from Yorkville. It's just 2 blocks.. may be 15mins walk.

Chiado's 10mins cab ride.

Michael

Sadly Susur too is closed Sunday.  Can anyone comment on Sassafraz (which is open Sundays)?  What about Mortons vs. Barbarians vs. Senator vs. Ruth Chris - is there a steakhouse that one could consider "the benchmark" ... can any one say compare to Queue de Cheval, Gibbys or Moishes?

If you want Steak, my vote is on either Harbour Sixty or Barberian's. Preferably, the latter. I love their pickles, feta for potatoes, and succulent meat. Morton's is too gimmicky and lesser quality (meat not aged on site). Ruth Chris' puts butter on the steak and the whole sizzling thing is a gimmick as well.

Mark

Sadly Susur too is closed Sunday.  Can anyone comment on Sassafraz (which is open Sundays)?  What about Mortons vs. Barbarians vs. Senator vs. Ruth Chris - is there a steakhouse that one could consider "the benchmark" ... can any one say compare to Queue de Cheval, Gibbys or Moishes?

The fact that Sassafraz is still open is a mystery to me - it's my choice of watering holes while bouthique shopping but the food is average at best. Barberian's was always good (haven't been in years) and I hear good things about Harbor 60 - that's all I got

I was supposed to dine at the Senator my last trip up but got side-tracked