• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where to buy andouille sausage in Seattle

Looking to join the Gumbo Ya-Ya gang this weekend, I need to know where to find smoked andouille sausage for my Gumbo.

Anyone know a good source here in the seattle area? I can't remember for sure because I wasn't paying attention, but I think most of what I've seen has been fresh rather than smoked, and I'm told smoked andouille is essential to make my Gumbo taste right...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

eden,

you can get it at the sausage place in pike place market for sure. i've also seen it packaged at metropolitan market, so it may be more common than you think.

i bet the meat market on the top of queen anne (A&J?) has it - and isn't there a place called Cascioppio brothers in ballard that makes sausage?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Yes, Uli's down at Pike Place has Andouille. Nummy!

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

I know it's too late for this weekend but you may want to check out Cajungrocer.com for your future needs. All my dealings with them have been really terrific and the products they carry are fantastic.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I stumbled onto this thread and may be of some help. First, I am not sure where this "fresh" andouille business is coming from. I never heard of such a thing. For as long as I have been cooking Cajun, andouille, by definition, is a smoked sausage. That is what is being referred to when you come across it in Cajun recipes. If you want to buy fresh and smoke it yourself, go for it. But "fresh" ain't it.

There are some brands that may be more widespread than the local mail order stuff: Aidell's, Emeril's and Tony Chachere's. I think the Tony Chachere's comes closest to those good brands available by mail order. The other two appear to be ground a bit fine. None of these are as deeply smoked as what I get from the famous sources, but that is ok. It is all still good. I am working on a gumbo now and will have some pics up tomorrow. I purposely bought the Chachere's to see how things went with a more widely available product, even though I have a Cajun grocery in the neighborhood. Stay tuned.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Last time I was at Larry's Market, they had Aidell's Andouille. I bought some and put it in jambalya. I thought it was great, but what do I know? I grew up in Southern California, so my cajun taste barometer probably isn't calibrated correctly.

Are you folks postive that Uli's has real andouille? I'll run down there tomorrow (today I guess) anyway and will double-check, but I've never noticed it there before...

Poor Uli -- I love nearly everything there, but the linguica just isn't spicy and it isn't light on the palette. <sigh>

You know, not that I am trying to promote local products or anything :wink: , but there are a number of places here, Jacob's, Poche's, Hebert's, etc. that ship at very reasonable prices and pretty much, no matter what you are buying there, you will not get the real deal unless it is coming from some country grocery down here.

Andouille, for one thing, when properly made is more or less large chunks of spiced hame stuffed into a casing and smoked at very low temps in a wood smokehouse (here they are generally made of long lasting, termite and rot proof cypress wood). The links themselves are very large in diameter and weight, most of the time about 10 inches long and weighing in at about a pound each.

C'mon, order the real deal. Help what's left of our third world economy. Buy the best. Buy Louisiana Made.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

C'mon, order the real deal. Help what's left of our third world economy. Buy the best. Buy Louisiana Made.

I'm convinced -- I'm ordering from Jacob's tomorrow morning (I'd much rather call than send them my credit card information via email :huh:).

...though if you think one of the others you mentioned would be a better place to start, please speak up. I'm just assuming that you mentioned them in order of (personal?) preference.

I'm convinced -- I'm ordering from Jacob's tomorrow morning (I'd much rather call than send them my credit card information via email :huh:).

...though if you think one of the others you mentioned would be a better place to start, please speak up. I'm just assuming that you mentioned them in order of (personal?) preference.

The Poche's stuff -- which I ordered from cajungrocer.com was amazing -- both their tasso and andouille. And one time, when I had real emergency, I gave them my info over the phone. No problem. The goods were here next business day. I'm sure that others (e.g. Brooks) can guide you through the different brands more deftly than I. I will say that once you get the authentic LA stuff, you'll likely never go back. I won't even think about making jambalaya or gumbo anymore if I don't have the "real" stuff on hand.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I am lucky enough to be able to regularly drive to everywhere I mentioned. Jacob's is about 20 minutes from my work (in a big faceless office building with a great view of Louis Armstrong International Airport and the big, giant swamp behind it), and I still will drive an hour and a half to Poche's. The place has been open since they invented pork and smoke. It's an amazing place with products that generally exceed all expectations-and I have been eating this stuff all of my life. Jacob's is good and very, very traditional-holding up their end of the German Coast on the banks of the river between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Hebert's excels at the stuffed poultry helm, as their shrimp stuffed boneless chickens are the SUPERIOR fast food on this or any other planet.

I am given, naturally, to excessive bragging about native products-but seriously, you can't buy this stuff anywhere else. It's worth the price of shipping. Get a bunch of stuff and share it with your friends,. Make a group order. Get some sausage, some andouille, some tasso, a couple of chickens, maybe some boudin (although it really doesn't travel that well-it's a rice casserole and it gets kind of mushy in the reheat process-but it's still damn good).

Edited to add-order from Poche's over the phone. It can be kind of fun if you get the right person. You may end up chatting for a while. It's what we do.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...