• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Licorice

Daniel

Sorry for wasting a post here, but i need to find a really good black LICOURIOUS  for a customer of mine for Valentines Day.. If there is a brand or a store i could go to it would be a big help.

I would suggest Dylan's Candy Bar, on the corner of Third Avenue and 60th Street.

If you can't find it there, it does not exist...

Oh, do a search on "licorice"...

http://www.dylanscandybar.com/

gb

Edited by georgeb (log)

I really like the Panda brand, but tastes vary. I thought I was a major black licorice fan, but I tried one from Australia a while back that was WAY too robust for me! I don't know the brand name, but the Scottie-Dog shaped ones are good too -- and awfully cute!

I really like the Panda brand, but tastes vary.  I thought I was a major black licorice fan, but I tried one from Australia a while back that was WAY too robust for me!  I don't know the brand name, but the Scottie-Dog shaped ones are good too -- and awfully cute!

Panda is excellent, but there is only one store near me that I know of that sells them, the Total Wine chain. So when I go wine shopping I always pick one up.

http://www.panda.fi/engl/lakritsit.php

Panda is a Finnish company, I am not sure what major stores distribute their products in NYC. They can be mail ordered pretty easily though, if you search Google for "Panda Licorice but that doesn't help Daniel for VD.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

For any kind of candy, and a huge variety of imported licorices, I would recommend Economy Candy on Rivington (near Orchard) on the LES.

It appears they carry Panda too:

Economy Candy Licorice Listing

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host