• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Pronunciation Guide for the Dim-witted

Varmint

Admit it. You're the one at the table who is expected to know everything about food, and when one of your friends asks about something on the menu, you avoid mentioning that item's name, because you have no damn clue how to pronounce it.

Thus, I'm starting this thread to deal with pronunciations. No word is too simple. Don't be embarrassed, and no one shall chastise another for his/her lack of linguistic knowledge.

I'll start, and it's a four-letter word. Chai. I think it's pronounced whith a "ch" sound as in "chair" and then a long "I", to rhyme with fly. Correct? No?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Admit it.  You're the one at the table who is expected to know everything about food, and when one of your friends asks about something on the menu, you avoid mentioning that item's name, because you have no damn clue how to pronounce it.

Thus, I'm starting this thread to deal with pronunciations.  No word is too simple.  Don't be embarrassed, and no one shall chastise another for his/her lack of linguistic knowledge.

Yessir, buddy, I'm all over this one. Great idea, Varmint. Give me a little while, and I'll have you a nice list we can work on :wacko:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

ok, I will play:  conch.  As in conch chowder and fritters.  it is pronounced Konk, right?

Yes, that is how I have always pronounced it. See how easy this is?? :wink:

But in the UK, isn't it "KonCH"?

and how about "Pho"? Pronounced "fuh" someone said someone in the Pho thread...

I hear "Prosciutto" get hammered at a supermarket deli line all the time.

:rolleyes: this is going to be good!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

mille feuille... impossible!

OMG! I can NEVER get my tongue around that one!

and that old bugaboo: foie gras (faux grass? foe? fwaah?)

I learned that one from Chairman Kaga on Iron Chef ... fwah grah (said with a Japanese accent :wink: )

brunoise (broon noisey?)

Think "vicheyssoise" ... broo-nwahz

prix fixe? (pricks fixee?)

Pree-fix

noo-queue-ler  :laugh:

Who let W in here? :laugh:

A.

I always laugh when I hear people mispronounce "au jus", as in rosbif au jus. Most of the time it comes out as "awjuss", emphasis on the first syllable. It's "oh jhoo" with a very soft sibilant"J". You don't say "do you want awjuss with that?" that would be tantamount to saying "do you want 'with gravy' with that". Ugh.

Il y a veritablement quelques douzaines des termes francais qu'on sacrifie' au nom de "chic". :sad:

Bruschetta = broo-SKET-tah

Of course, the restaurant I dined in last night spelled this item "brushetta". I just try not to think about it too hard.

I've been hearing a lot of people mispronounce "coup de grace" lately. Not a food term, but pronouncing it "koo duh grah" sure makes it sound like one to me.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I have always pronounced this meel foy (although I have heard meel fway as well)

For the non-francophone, the easiest (and closest) is:

mee fuh-yuh

Don't worry about the L's in mille at all, because it's also a "yuh" sound and when the words are said together they'll disappear to most anglophone ears.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Oh boy! This is going to be great. Even though I own the print version of Ruhlman's "Making of a Chef,", I also ordered the audio version through Audible, and one of the reasons was I wanted to hear how certain words are pronounced. Then after the reader pronounced a certain word two entirely different ways within 20 seconds, I realized I did not have a reliable source for pronunciations. And at the moment I can't remember what any of the words were. But I'll find them.

I think we could do a whole thread on the mispronunciations of "hors d'oeurves." My favorites:

whores-do-ehr'ves (brother-in-law's grandmother)

whore'-dee-ohr'ves (college algebra professor)

I have always pronounced this meel foy (although I have heard meel fway as well)

mee fuh-yuh

Don't worry about the L's in mille at all, because it's also a "yuh" sound and when the words are said together they'll disappear to most anglophone ears.

As a French student many years ago and again now, I can assure you that the world "fueille" is one of the most brutally unpronouncable word in the language -- especially if you've never heard a French person say it. That is why Americans like to pronounce the word: "Napoleon." Personally, I'd combine the two suggestions above to get a "mee fwuay," as it hints at breaking down into two syllables more than it actually does so. Kind of like an old Georgia girl I knew who could get an extra syllable (or more) out of the common vulgarity by pronouncing it Sheeeeit.

Wine names can be fun: Puligny-Montrachet; Chateauneuf-du-Pape; Trockenbeerenauslesen....

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

mee fuh-yuh

As a French student many years ago and again now, I can assure you that the world "fueille" is one of the most brutally unpronouncable word in the language -- especially if you've never heard a French person say it. That is why Americans like to pronounce the word: "Napoleon." Personally, I'd combine the two suggestions above to get a "mee fwuay," as it hints at breaking down into two syllables more than it actually does so. Kind of like an old Georgia girl I knew who could get an extra syllable (or more) out of the common vulgarity by pronouncing it Sheeeeit.

Wine names can be fun: Puligny-Montrachet; Chayeauneuf-du-Pap; Torckenbeerenauslesen....

My wife struggles with this one as well. mille feuille. It's THE word she's always has to ask "how do you pronounce that again?" It's not she can't pronounce it, she always forgets.

She pronounces words such as bruschetta and tagliatelle the Italian way, whereas I say them with French pronunciation. I just can't help it. I was familiar with them in France before I went to Italy or came to the States. It's just a habit I can't break, not that I try.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com