• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best SERVICE in DC?

murkycoffee

Where in Timonium?  I'm in Timonium every Monday night for a class.  It would be nice to hit a good coffee house before class begins!

from Baltimore City Paper web site

Jay's Shave Ice and Kona Coffee]

On York Road, 1/4 mile south of Timonium Road and next door to Smyth Jewelers

2046 York Road

Timonium, MD 21093     phone 410-561-0405

Summer Hours: 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily; winter Hours:7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Mon.-Fri.; 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Sat.; 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sun.

Jay's web site appears to be down temporarily so I'll hold off on including that link. He takes his coffee and espresso very seriously and his baristas have served me a few outstanding drinks on the two occasions I stopped in to visit (I live a few hundred miles away - otherwise I'd be a regular both there and at Murky).

Wow...who knew? Jay's Shave Ice? I work in the Timonium area and will check this place out pronto. When the previous post mentioned Timonium I assumed they were talking about Baltimore Coffee & Tea Company. Very interesting.

Wow...who knew?  Jay's Shave Ice?  I work in the Timonium area and will check this place out pronto. 

MissCindy - Please report back and let me know how it went!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

• 1 month later...

This is the best I mean the best quote ever from the New York Times yesterday November 17, 2005 from one of our on E Gulleters!!! Nick Cho

From The Times

Mr. Cho is known in the blogosphere as the guy who made famous chefs angry when he described restaurant coffee as appalling.

"It's true," he said, "restaurant coffee is swill. People just don't know what good coffee even tastes like, but guys like me are going to teach them."

I cannot make things like this up!!

Edited by T.Thrasher (log)

Todd Thrasher

The Guy who says YES CHEF and Sometimes makes a cocktail or two.

Restaurant Eve

110 S. Pitt St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 706-0450

Eamonn's A Dublin Chipper

PX (Upstairs)

728 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 299-8384

Wow...who knew?  Jay's Shave Ice?  I work in the Timonium area and will check this place out pronto. 

MissCindy - Please report back and let me know how it went!

I forgot to report back on my Jay's Shave Ice experience...it was great. I got an espresso with a little frothed milk and just a touch of coconut milk. It was very, very nice and I've been meaning to get back there ever since.

I also stopped in at Murky the last time I was in DC. Liked my coffee--I no longer recall exactly what drink I had--but I do know that I really enjoyed it. It was on a very crowded Saturday and the noise in the place was cranked to 11.

This is the best I mean the best quote ever from the New York Times yesterday November 17, 2005 from one of our on E Gulleters!!! Nick Cho

From The Times

Mr. Cho is known in the blogosphere as the guy who made famous chefs angry when he described restaurant coffee as appalling.

"It's true," he said, "restaurant coffee is swill. People just don't know what good coffee even tastes like, but guys like me are going to teach them."

I cannot make things like this up!!

Well, it's a good thing you didn't! I'd say Mr. Cho is absolutely spot on, at least in the first part - restaurant coffee is swill. I can honestly say I have not had what I would label as a satisfying cup of coffee, americano, cappuccino, or shot of espresso at any restaurant I've ever been to in N. America.

I do hope people like him do make coffee more of a culinary item in restaurants instead of something just to chase people out the door in order to clear the table for the next guests.

Chris.

I thought serving coffee was something that encouraged a diner to linger, rather than get out the door rapidly.

Chris, have you had the coffee at Eve? (I have not, but I don't usually drink coffee after dinner.)

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that would make for good service is that either an establishment accepts credit cards for payment, or a sign clearly states that they're cash-only at the door.

Murky Coffee does neither of these things. I just got back from standing in line to purchase a pound of beans only to find out they don't take plastic when I got to the cash register. So I incur the ATM fee (effectively increasing the cost of the coffee by 20%) to grab some cash and then head back to stand in line again.

:angry::wacko::angry:

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

• 1 month later...

I visited Murky coffee a few weeks ago with my cousin (who's a coffee snob from Berkeley, CA). He wanted to go to a great coffee house in our area, so I figured that this would be a great opportunity to check out Murky Coffee.

I'm no expert when it comes to coffee, but cousin said that the coffee he tried was "nothing special" and that this place would probably go out of business if it was in the Bay area. He did, however, say that the mocha was "exceptional"!

So there you go...

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.