• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best SERVICE in DC?

murkycoffee

It has been pointed out to me by some people that the content of a couple of my posts have been rude, offensive, and unprofessional.

I apologize, and I ask for forgiveness from the eGullet community.

I should never have criticized anyone or their coffee or coffee-program. It was not my intention to insult, but I have done so nonetheless. I'm sorry. To criticize specific institutions by name as I did was inappropriate.

It has also been pointed out to me that the eGullet community does not engage in the sort of flinging of careless whims that the vast majority of online forums do. I apologize for not properly acculturating myself to this community before 'mouthing' off.

I'm used to more free-flow discussion groups where people say what's on their mind, get into heated flame-wars about stuff, and then laugh about it over a beer when you meet in person. I was shocked to hear that eGullet is a wholly more civilized and serious community. I've never seen such a thing before, but that doesn't absolve me of the offensive tone of my posts.

I am very passionate about coffee... it's what we do. I do stand by my coffee-challenge. I reiterate: it's not a criticism of the restaurant community... it's a problem with the coffee industry. It's a problem with coffee roasters. It's a problem with green buyers and importers. It's a problem with coffee and espresso equipment distribution; coffee and espresso training.

No restaurant that I've ever seen or have heard of has a full-time barista (has anyone else?). Some day, that may change. The top baristas in the world have been at their craft for many years, and it takes those years to master the culinary art of espresso. Frankly, I'm excited about the future of coffee and espresso in restaurants! There are two restaurants that I've heard of in Chicago that can pour free-pour latte art! That's AWESOME!

I encourage everyone who might be interested, to read the current main article on coffeegeek.com. I share Mark's vision for the coffee industry that he shares there.

So, in conclusion, again, please forgive me for my indiscretion. I hope that I can be a better member of the community in the future.

It has been pointed out to me by some people that the content of a couple of my posts have been rude, offensive, and unprofessional.

Nick,

I just buzzed through this entire thread and haven't seen anything you wrote that would be considered rude, offensive or unprofessional - did you edit them before I got a chance to read the dirt?

More importantly, what do you think of Kill Devil Roasters (available at Arrowine in Arlington, or mail order from Front Porch Cafe)?

I guess I should split this thread into two soon,

Rocks.

Nick,

I just buzzed through this entire thread and haven't seen anything you wrote that would be considered rude, offensive or unprofessional - did you edit them before I got a chance to read the dirt?

I'm with you on this one Rocks. Posters should feel free to speak their minds as long as they aren't calling out someone in particular in a personal manner. If you have an opinion, back it up with facts and its on.

Unfortunately, I don't drink coffee - think its nasty stuff - so I can't comment any further on topic.

Bill Russell

Nick,

Come on, lighten up! Wouldn't it be fun to order a "double cat crap latte with 2% milk"? You could charge a lot for that.  :raz:

I agree. And drop a couple of Hershey's Kisses into that steaming latte, for presentation :wub:

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Unfortunately, I don't drink coffee - think its nasty stuff - so I can't comment any further on topic.

I don't drink it much either. My brain gets too frazzled when I drink it. I prefer tea (which my sister in-law, who is a biochemist, tells me that the caffeine molecule in coffee is different than in tea).

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

This thread appeared to me to start as a sales pitch for Murky Coffee. Nick, are you using the request for assistance in polishing the rough edges of Ryan as a way to get an 'in' with providing coffee services for DC restaurants? I ask because it seems from subsequent postings that you feel the coffee service (particularly with espresso) currently offered by DC area restaurants is lacking greatly in quality, among other things, therefore it seems at odds with your request for assistance from these same restaurants in improving someone already crowned as the 'champ' in his field.

This thread appeared to me to start as a sales pitch for Murky Coffee.  Nick, are you using the request for assistance in polishing the rough edges of Ryan as a way to get an 'in' with providing coffee services for DC restaurants?  I ask because it seems from subsequent postings that you feel the coffee service (particularly with espresso) currently offered by DC area restaurants is lacking greatly in quality, among other things, therefore it seems at odds with your request for assistance from these same restaurants in improving someone already crowned as the 'champ' in his field.

I can understand the reason you ask this question. What I will tell you is this: I don't provide, nor offer, nor plan to offer, wholesale coffee or related 'coffee services' of any kind. If someone liked our coffee and wanted to serve it in their place of business, I would point them to the aforementioned Counter Culture Coffee, where we source our beans from.

My request for help was regarding the presentation/service portion of the barista competition. Any pointers and/or advice regarding world-class table service was what we were looking for.

Hope I addressed your questions.

(no exclamation points this time :wink: )

Edited by murkycoffee (log)

I don't drink it much either.  My brain gets too frazzled when I drink it.  I prefer tea (which my sister in-law, who is a biochemist, tells me that the caffeine molecule in coffee is different than in tea).

It is different, and in French there's even a different word for it: théine (pronounced TAY-een) as opposed to caféine.

Santé,

Roches Acides.

I don't drink it much either.  My brain gets too frazzled when I drink it.  I prefer tea (which my sister in-law, who is a biochemist, tells me that the caffeine molecule in coffee is different than in tea).

It is different, and in French there's even a different word for it: théine (pronounced TAY-een) as opposed to caféine.

Santé,

Roches Acides.

I did not know that. Very interesting Rocks!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Santé,

Roches Acides.

Going back in time to when I lived in a chem lab...

There are two different chemicals, 1,3,7-Trimethlyxanthine (Caffeine) and 1,3-Dimethylxanthine (Theophylline), that exist in both coffee and tea.

A quick google search found this info...

From "Principles of biochemistry", Horton and al, 1993.

Caffeine is sometimes called "theine" when it's in tea. This is probably due to an ancient misconception that the active constituent is different. Theophylline is present only in trace amounts. It is more diuretic, more toxic and less speedy.

Caffeine

1,3,7-trimethylxanthine

Theophylline

1,3-dimethylxanthine

Theobromine

3,7-dimethylxanthine

Coffee and tea contain caffeine and theophylline, respectively, which are methylated purine derivatives that inhibit cAMP phosphodiesterase. In the presence of these inhibitors, the effects of cAMP, and thus the stimulatory effects of the hormones that lead to its production, are prolonged and intensified.

Science class is now over. :biggrin:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

so tell us Murky , which restaurant you think is providing the best service ?

I wouldn't know.

Apparently, I know nothing.

I've been told that I insulted the very restaurants that I was seeking some help from, so no soup for me.

Please.

Manic-depression is never attractive.

If you can't take a few shots from the folks on this board, you should likely stay away. Hell, I'd hesitate to get in a dustup with Landrum -- either out back by the dumpsters, or down here in the threads -- and I outweigh him by 60 pounds and a decade in the communications biz. He's a great chef and a good guy. But, if he got in my face, I'd get back in his, or apologize (as we all should, sometimes), and move on, bloodied but unbowed.

On the flip side, if you've got guys like Rocks and fero taking you seriously, you should respond to the respect they've showed with a little backbone

I thought you were little over the top. Hell, I suspect we all did. But, it was a pretty interesting thread for a while -- when you seemed to think you knew your shit -- and I was trying to figure out where there might be a Murky Coffee in my life.

You were bragging not only about your coffee but your chops on boards much tougher than this one. Now, you're wimping out on us, on both levels.

Have a cup o' joe and get back in the game.

Or admit that the whole thing was a bluff. :wink:

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Busboy: I thought manic-depression was the new heroin-chic. Oh well.

No, there was no bluff. I guess I'm reluctant to continue too much, mostly because I've thread-jacked my own thread, and I'm not a fan of thread-jacking of any kind. I have mad-respect for chefs and restaurant folk... my shops are dumps compared to pretty much any restaurant out there, and I certainly don't wanna piss anyone off.

At the same time, I stand by my statements about coffee. Like I wrote before, I shouldn't have pointed specific fingers, but perhaps it's true, as some have written elsewhere, that coffee at even the finest of restaurants isn't a priority, especially since you don't want diners to linger unnecessarily.

Though I wonder, Busboy, what specifically did you think was over-the-top? Just curious.

mnebergall: Misha's has an important place in D.C. coffee history, and they have a great reputation as a roaster-retailer. I haven't had their coffee in a long time though.

Busboy: I thought manic-depression was the new heroin-chic.  Oh well.

No, there was no bluff....

Though I wonder, Busboy, what specifically did you think was over-the-top?  Just curious.

murkycoffee

I'll bet $1,000.00 that I have hands-down better coffee and espresso than ANY restaurant in the U.S., probably in the world .

I think that qualifies.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Could we possibly quit jumping all over Nick's shit and get back to talking about his coffee? Thanks.

I'm still waiting to hear whether Murky will open a MD branch.

Edited to specify Montgomery County, and preferably not Silver Spring, thankyouverymuch. SS is sooo 2004. Ahem.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Could we possibly quit jumping all over Nick's shit and get back to talking about his coffee?  Thanks. 

I'm waiting for *him* to talk about his coffee, other than the one post.

How about it, Nick? Sell me on why I should pass by 4-5 other sources of espresso product between the office and Eastern Market to visit Murky.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Could we possibly quit jumping all over Nick's shit and get back to talking about his coffee?  Thanks. 

I'm still waiting to hear whether Murky will open a MD branch.

Edited to specify Montgomery County, and preferably not Silver Spring, thankyouverymuch.  SS is sooo 2004.  Ahem.

It's not in the plans. Arlington/Clarendon is about as suburban as I wanna get. Anyway, in my heart, I'm a Virginia-boy.

I'm waiting for *him* to talk about his coffee, other than the one post.

How about it, Nick?  Sell me on why I should pass by 4-5 other sources of espresso product between the office and Eastern Market to visit Murky.

The proof is in the cup. I could talk all day long about coffee and espresso (I could probably go for 6 days straight) and none of it would matter if my coffee sucked.

I think that qualifies.

Ok. I'll take back my 'maybe the world' part, mainly because I'd be afraid of Japan and the Scandinavian countries. When it comes to coffee, they're really about pursuing the highest of the high-quality. Not like here. :hmmm:

Edited by murkycoffee (log)

I think that qualifies.

Ok. I'll take back my 'maybe the world' part, mainly because I'd be afraid of Japan and the Scandinavian countries. When it comes to coffee, they're really about pursuing the highest of the high-quality. Not like here. :hmmm:

Are you also saying that the people in Italy do not take their espresso seriously? :blink:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Are you also saying that the people in Italy do not take their espresso seriously?  :blink:

Kent Bakke, a well-known figure in American espresso because his company, ESI, 's the (exclusive) importer of La Marzocco machines, shared a story once (this is 2nd hand). He was having dinner in Italy and ordered an espresso at the end of the meal. His Italian friend looked at him like he was crazy. "What are you doing ordering an espresso in a restaurant!!?" he said. "If you want an espresso, we'll go to an espresso bar! But you don't order coffee in a restaurant!"

Are you also saying that the people in Italy do not take their espresso seriously?   :blink:

Kent Bakke, a well-known figure in American espresso because his company, ESI, 's the (exclusive) importer of La Marzocco machines, shared a story once (this is 2nd hand). He was having dinner in Italy and ordered an espresso at the end of the meal. His Italian friend looked at him like he was crazy. "What are you doing ordering an espresso in a restaurant!!?" he said. "If you want an espresso, we'll go to an espresso bar! But you don't order coffee in a restaurant!"

Maybe this Italian friend had some issues with the espresso at the restaurants :biggrin: , just kidding .

I believe Italian espresso and coffee , they both well qualify to be world class.

Lavazza from Italy ,(to give an easy example) is selling espresso and coffee at grocery stores which I think they are reallly smooth and rich and they have very good taste as well. I also know some restaurants in DC using Lavazza.

I just dont think Japan , Scandinavian countries and America are the only countries making/serving the best coffee. I`ve enjoyed very good coffee in both Italy and France. Of course I cant skip Turkish coffee :wink:

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699