• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best SERVICE in DC?

murkycoffee

Hi all. My name is Nick Cho, and I'm the owner and head barista of murky coffee. We have two shops: one on Capitol Hill (Eastern Market area) and one in Clarendon (formerly 'Common Grounds')

My question is, who is the pinnacle of service in DC? Basically here's our deal: we recently took 1st and 2nd place at the Southeast Regional Barista Competition earlier this month. Our champ, Ryan Jensen (works mostly in Capitol Hill) is slated to compete in the semifinal round of the US Barista Championship next month in Seattle.

A significant portion of the scoring (one third) is presentation evaluation (the other two: beverage taste evaluation, and technical evaluation). The paradigm of the competition is the ultimate fine-dining espresso experience. As a result, I'm hoping that the management at one of our many DC restaurants will perhaps help us in training for the event. Ryan's overall presentation is very solid, and his poise and composure is top-rate. However, we can always use some polishing.

So that being said/written, any thoughts on who I should talk to? A buddy (Peter Giuliano, head roaster and green-coffee buyer from Counter Culture Coffee in Durham, NC) just had the 7-course Creazione at Maestro tonight... and though their service was excellent (no need to further hype the food... mMMmmMMMM!), I'm thinking that there may be a more formal setting somewhere in the city.

Anyone have any ideas?

Nick

www.murkycoffee.com

Edited by murkycoffee (log)

Buying a plane ticket , staying a night in Chicago and seeing what Charlie Trotter`s can do `in service` will give you the best service experience in United States . You will come back speechless , thats my opinion .

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

Buying a plane ticket , staying a night in Chicago and seeing what Charlie Trotter`s can do `in service` will give you the best service experience in United States . You will come back speechless , thats my opinion .

Yes, but fero, you live here in DC, too. How do you train waiters to do that? Tell me that and we can both open the best restaurant in America.

Mark

Yes, but fero, you live here in DC, too. How do you train waiters to do that? Tell me that and we can both open the best restaurant in America.

well Mark , I guess we have to start `American Idol : Server Edition` to find the passionate servers :biggrin: .

I can`t find a simple answer to your question , but to make it short Im gonna say `passion` . That is the key behind Charlie Trotter ,Thomas Keller, Michel Richard and some others. That is the key to the success .

When we find the right people we can open the best restaurant together .

of course we are going to need a big , fat investor :biggrin:

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

Gee, and all this time I thought it was called a "barrista".

It's fascinating how often "barrista" appears in print, although "barista" seems to beat our "barrista" by a condierable margin on the net. That's hardly any sign of correct spelling, (never use google as a spelling checker) but illy.com uses the single "r" on its World Barista Champion page and illyusa.com also uses the single "r."

I'm wondering exactly what's involved in the presentation of the espresso in the competition. Is it something that can really be learned from a world class restaurant, or is it mostly about the appearance of the coffee in the cup. Do they judge the quality of the china cup and the way the sugar is packaged and presented? Is the coffee brought to the judge's table by a server or is it a matter of stepping up to the bar. I wouldn't expect a barista to be judged by more than the appearance of the coffee in the cup and somehow, I'd expect the rules of the contest to specifiy a standard cup and elminate those other factors that are more about the elegance and luxury of the setting. Tell me more.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I'm wondering exactly what's involved in the presentation of the espresso in the competition. Is it something that can really be learned from a world class restaurant, or is it mostly about the appearance of the coffee in the cup. Do they judge the quality of the china cup and the way the sugar is packaged and presented? Is the coffee brought to the judge's table by a server or is it a matter of stepping up to the bar. I wouldn't expect a barista to be judged by more than the appearance of the coffee in the cup and somehow, I'd expect the rules of the contest to specifiy a standard cup and elminate those other factors that are more about the elegance and luxury of the setting. Tell me more.

My thoughts as well while reading the original post... Does Ryan have to present it at the judges' table? Do you pick the china, linens, silver etc? Tell us more, please.

as a side note on the service question, CityZen and Indebleu have very good service too (water poured in unison, etc, the works). In their coffee service, CityZen offers a very cool looking rectangular plate with 3 bowls on it for your choice of sugar (no not regular, equal or splenda!!!) -- granular, raw chunks, etc. They even have used a microplane to add sugar to a dessert...although that wouldn't work for trying to get it into a little cup :wink: )

I have heard, read somewhere recently, about different designs in the crema, etc. Does Ryan do this? I am interested in this competition, well, actually a little curious/confused. I know professional competitions always go WAY above and beyond what the average professional(no matter what the field) does on a day to day basis, but don't most baristas only do counter service? If the product is going to the table, then a server is doing that, no? Maybe I am dead wrong, sorry for my ignorance. Enlighten me!

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

I would just like to say that the service at Murky Arlington is WILDLY inconsistent...you never know if you are going to get someone who knows how to make an espresso drink or not. My friend ordered a triple shot of espresso & was served a single shot, when he brought it up the barista insisted it was a triple (it definitely was not). I try to keep track of the baristas who know what they are doing, but everytime I go it seems to be different employees. Also half of the time they are out of chocolate for Mochas/Hot Chocolate. But the product is definitely better than what was served at Common Grounds.

Maestro has the best service in the D. C. area. For wine Vincent, (Maestro) Mark (Citronelle, on this board) and Todd from Restaurant Eve (also on this board) are superb. Overall table service, though, I really believe is Maestro. I don't know if this helps since I do not focus on your specialty. Personally I think that CityZen is not on the level of these three.

Edited by Joe H (log)

My boy Slipp upped the ante!

"I'm going to Wichita

Far from the opera for evermore

I'm gonna work the straw

make the sweat drip out of every pore

And I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding

Right before the Lord"

WHITE STRIPES

I would just like to say that the service at Murky Arlington is WILDLY inconsistent...you never know if you are going to get someone who knows how to make an espresso drink or not.  My friend ordered a triple shot of espresso & was served a single shot, when he brought it up the barista insisted it was a triple (it definitely was not).  I try to keep track of the baristas who know what they are doing, but everytime I go it seems to be different employees.  Also half of the time they are out of chocolate for Mochas/Hot Chocolate.  But the product is definitely better than what was served at Common Grounds.

Duly noted. We've been in Arlington for three months now, and some of the staff is still 'in training' for their barista skills. I'm sorry if you've had a bad experience. I know that our espresso can vary from what come have proclaimed to be 'world class' to undrinkable, depending on who's on bar. We're making major moves right now to increase our training... until now, it's taken well over a year of experience before people a barista really 'gets it.' We're working on developing a new training program, including a full-time trainer (who coincidentally starts his job next week).

Good things take time. I hope you'll be patient with us... we're working on it.

Nick

Despite the fact that Nectar, sadly, is pushing up the daisies, its service is still the best in DC ... if it is nothing but a memory. Long live, J & J!

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

My boy Slipp upped the ante!

Explain please!

Well it's a double entendre. Jarad brought a new level of service to DC after working at Gordon Ramsays, also he is now at Ray's the Steaks ( raise the stakes or in other words "upped the ante")

"I'm going to Wichita

Far from the opera for evermore

I'm gonna work the straw

make the sweat drip out of every pore

And I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding

Right before the Lord"

WHITE STRIPES

The La Colombe coffeehouses/roasters here in Philadelphia seem to have a pretty extensive training program for their baristas. You might want to contact them.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

as a side note on the service question, CityZen and Indebleu have very good service too (water poured in unison, etc, the works). 

It should be noted that having your water poured in unison has nothing to do with fine service. It's unnessesary flair. Look at TGI-Fridays, how far does flair get you there. In restaurants with the finest service I've had; El Bulli, Michel Bras, Guy Savor, Per Se, Louis IV, etc... I've never seen it. It's not that it's a bad thing... just well...obnoxious. It's smoke and mirrors, giving the customer what they think they want but don't need. Like pulling out a cigarette and having ten waiters hovering over you with lighters ablaze. BFD

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

It should be noted that having your water poured in unison has nothing to do with fine service. It's unnessesary flair. Look at TGI-Fridays, how far does flair get you there.  BFD

If you have good Hair Flair it gets you everywhere!

Todd Thrasher

The Guy who says YES CHEF and Sometimes makes a cocktail or two.

Restaurant Eve

110 S. Pitt St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 706-0450

Eamonn's A Dublin Chipper

PX (Upstairs)

728 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 299-8384

It should be noted that having your water poured in unison has nothing to do with fine service. It's unnessesary flair. Look at TGI-Fridays, how far does flair get you there. In restaurants with the finest service I've had; El Bulli, Michel Bras, Guy Savor, Per Se, Louis IV, etc... I've never seen it. It's not that it's a bad thing... just well...obnoxious. It's smoke and mirrors, giving the customer what they think they want but don't need. Like pulling out a cigarette and having ten waiters hovering over you with lighters ablaze. BFD

I agree with you, I only used it as one example of an establishment trying (and in my experience, succeeding) to provide excellent service. Indebleu does do more "flair", but it works in a place like that, and is not obnoxious. Contrarily, CityZen and Maestro do not however, nor would it be appropriate there. I think each restaurant can have their own style, and along with that, their own "brand" or type of service.

Other than Maestro, which had already been mentioned, I was merely answering the question posed, as to what other places I had experience with in DC that had good service. I still stand on my suggestions. I am not as fortunate as you to have visited all the places you mentioned; I wouldn't have mentioned them anyway, or others here in the US, because Murky wanted to know DC so that he could see/visit/talk to someone local, in order to get help with the competition.

My reason for specifically mentioning the water pouring thing is that at competitions such as the one in question, competitors sometimes do extra things that they would not normally do in day to day operation/preparation/service. They are doing those extra stylistic things (or flair) on purpose. (I say this having myself participated/judged in many culinary competitions.) Often things done in a competition are not practical by any means. My only intent was to point Murky in the direction of something along those lines, in addition to good across-the-board service.

Btw, I can't speak as an authority like you on TGIF, as I've never been there! :laugh:

I have been told however, that I have good hair flair! :wink:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

It should be noted that having your water poured in unison has nothing to do with fine service. It's unnessesary flair. Look at TGI-Fridays, how far does flair get you there.  BFD

If you have good Hair Flair it gets you everywhere!

Listen to this man, he knows what he is talking about.