• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1998 Oliver Conti Emporda – Costa Brava

geo t.

1998 Oliver Conti Emporda – Costa Brava, 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc, $19.99, 13.5% alc.: A bit of the barnyard blows off the nose of this deep, dark garnet, leaving a soft leather, black olive and cocoa powder bouquet. The flavors pick the ball and run with it big time, with the leather, olive and cocoa accents setting the tone for the expressive black currant, cassis and blackberry character of this dry, appealing Spanish claret. Moderate tannins turn somewhat drying on the finish, but as it opens in the glass, it becomes increasingly rich and harmonious. This is a deliciously interesting and enjoyable wine that can pair with a fairly wide range of food, and it should continue to improve over at least the next few years. The wine is supposed to retail for around $36-40, but because it didn’t sell in this market, is being discounted heavily by the distributor. Tasted ten times in the last six months with consistent results; I like this one a lot.

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour

$20 is a really good price. I have a friend who is a European representative of it. For that price I would tuck into it in a big way.

Have you ever had their white? I believe it is a Sauvignon Blanc that spends years in oak and is one not to bend over backwards to get.

$20 is a really good price. I have a friend who is a European representative of it. For that price I would tuck into it in a big way.

Have you ever had their white? I believe it is a Sauvignon Blanc that spends years in oak and is one not to bend over backwards to get.

Never had the white, I've never even seen it. Years in oak?! Yikes!!

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour