Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

valrhona chocolate 100% cocoa solids


transfattyacid
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yes, a 100% cocoa solids bar would be horrid for eating straight. At least, I would find it horrid.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 100% is really useful when you want a big chocolate punch, like in ice cream bases, chocolate sauce, chocolate breads, cakes, etc. It is a hell of a lot easier to use than cocoa powder and emulsifies much better, no more nasty cocoa streaks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are actually some 99-100% liquor bars out there that are quite palatible. Most of what you're going to find on the store shelves, however, is going to be quite strong, african forestero liquor that isn't, by most people's standards anyway, appropriate for direct consumption.

Note - chocolate liquor doesn't have any alcohol in it. it's the term given to chocolate in it's purest form, and is solid at room temp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the guys tried some at the trade show at the WPTC last year and he said it wasn't half bad. Pretty damn good buzz from what I understand too. :laugh: Don't recall which company it came from.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A "pretty damn good buzz" from chocolate? I'm jealous. I have to combine alcohol with my chocolate to get a buzz.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are many 100% cocoa bars available.

Some are suitable only for baking and some are manufactured so they can be eaten. 100% cocoa bars are very intense, but they are sugar free (but not low carb or low fat), and should be considered a viable alternative for diabetics. If you can get used to the taste of Campari straight, Fernet-Branca bitters, and the like, you can probably work up a liking for the better 100% bars. One of the great things about eating a 100% bar is that a little goes a very long way. A 100gr bar is often divided into about 20 squares; all it takes is 1 of those little 5gr squares to satisfy the most intense chocolate craving.

Some of the better 100 percenters for eating include Domori Puro, Slitti Gran Cacao, and Plantations. Cluizel makes a 99% (the other 1% is lecithin, vanilla, and bergamot) and so does Scharffen Berger which I have not tried recently. To make a 100% bar suitable for eating means paying a lot of attention all the way through the manufacturing process. Bean quality, fermentation, drying, roasting, grinding, refining, conching -- all play key parts in the process of making an edible 100%. It's important to pay attention to the cocoa butter/solids ratio as a 100% bar could very easily get chalky and dry. It is also very important to pay attention to particle size.

Many 100 percenters that you can buy in the store are designed to be cooked with, not eaten. Because they are not designed to be eaten they are basically inedible in their "raw" state. They have a tendency to be gritty (the grittiness is hidden by flour whose particles are much larger), quite bitter (they know you're going to be adding sugar), and are often quite acidic (helps leavening in recipes that use it).

:Clay

Clay Gordon

president, pureorigin

editor/publisher www.chocophile.com

founder, New World Chocolate Society

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...