• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One evening in Toronto

Chocoholic

Having criticized others choices (and not alone in that), I feel obliged to offer some alternatives (and encourage all other nay-sayers to do likewise).

Within a 10-minute cab ride, and meeting 'many' of your preferences, also consider:

1055 Restaurant; and Pastis

Both are short on wine selection but offer good food and upscale, but casual, environment (and are considerably cheaper than most discussed above).

Xacutti

Pan-Indian menu so several unusual presentations. Attracts a little younger crowd than the two just mentioned, but has a better wine list. Maybe a little too noisy on peak evenings.

I'm really surprised by some of the recommendations posted here. I don't want to get into a food fight elaborating the shortcomings of the restaurants named nor defending my own choice but the variation in taste is surprising and a marked contrast to the Montreal board (I think). I'd like to think that Toronto diners are knowledgeable so perhaps the problem is what happens when you're forced to choose among second rate restaurants which at best is all that's on offer  in Toronto currently. "For whatever reason Toronto's best restaurant days are long gone."

Really?!

Sorry Sadistick but I too favour Susur and Perigee for best in TO. Yes, they're expensive but so are your suggestions of Splendido and North 44 both of which I would rate as merely average. Also worth consideration as top restaurant (& equally pricey!) is Bymark.

Though not the best but also worth note are Ultra Supper Club and Monte Cristo both of which also have good ambiance, IMO. I was just at George last week and it was pretty good and not too expensive. I would compare George to Lee in terms of price and food quality.

Edited by SYoung (log)

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, I ended up booking George. There is something about the menu and vibe of that place (as much as you can get one from electronic posts!) that appeals to me.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

• 1 month later...

Well, the vacation came and went. We had a lovely time in Toronto for Easter and an even better time in Jamaica after that. We did eat at George while in Toronto and I have to say it was great. Nice room, attentive service and the food was wonderful, we were both impressed. Definitely worth the recommendation.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Glad you enjoyed your stay in TO! There are so many good restaurants here that we hope you will come back soon and try the others! George is one of the newer restaurants in town and I agree that it's one of the better ones that's not priced in the stratosphere.