• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guitar cutter: Sourcing, Using, Maintaining

Gary

Thanks. This is proving more difficult than I thought! Most of the non chocolate related places I have contacted do not reply! One place refused to sell it to me, saying they only sell within the U.S. due to export regulations. One place seems helpful but give me info thatis not relevant. I asked what 13 gauge was or if they had .5mm and she answered :

Dear Ilana,

No problem! Ga is the thickness so 8 ga thickness would be approximately 0.1285.

We hope you find this information helpful.

So I wrote her back again...

But for those of you who can use the 800number:

Hello Ilana, we have some food grade wire are part number is 70040571. It is a non catalog item. This part number is 8 ga 20 ft long. Just call 800-645-7270 and we can call the vendor and special order you this wire in the size you are looking for.

Sincerely,

Caroline Shipton

MSC Technical dept

From the Malinco website:

They have it but:

Yes I have a $125 min order. For a small of a quantity try nmcmaster-carr supply.

Thanks,

Jim

From McMaster-Carr:

Ilana,

Due to the ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr has decided to only accept orders from a few, long-established customers of ours overseas. We are not able to provide a quote nor can we accept your orders.

We regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Regards,

Mike

So now I will try David's link. David, do you know what width is good? I think I need .5mm

Thanks!!

The 13 gauge is what I use for my Martellato guitar.

b

13 gauge is how many mm?

It is about .08cm or 1/32nd of an inch

b

I had hubby measure the wire on mine with his calipers. It's .02 inches (same as .05mm) which apparently is 8 guage.

I've ordered a roll - it's going to be something over 900 feet.

I'll bring along some 200 ft rolls to the conference if anyone wants some.

I used stainless steel fishing line for my guitar:

http://www.alltackle.com/american_fishing_...olling_wire.htm

Which size wire did you get, since it only lists it in test strength?

I'll have to check. Hopefully I still have the box or the email invoice since I don't have easy access to a micrometer to measure the wire.

If it works for you Lior I can send you 20-30 ft since I don't think I'll ever use it up.

:rolleyes:  Wow that is sooo nice! Thanks!! :smile:

Not being aware of commercial guitar wire I bought the 60lb test which is 0.026" (0.66mm) in diameter. That is 1.29 X the 0.51mm Kerry is using. While that's a little bit larger it would probably fit.

PM me with your address (and any special international mailing instructions you know of) if you want a chunk.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Over on the Ecole Chocolat grad forum - we are discussing doing a group buy for guitars. I contacted Dedy and they will offer a 10% discount if 6 people order. Each person would pay for their own and have it shipped to their address. I highly doubt we can get 6 people intersted in such a high priced piece of equipment but I thought I would put it out there...

It is important to know what sizes you want to cut and order the appropriate base size. You can just order a base and 1 frame if you just do square. You can add on frames as you can afford it.

Dedy website: Dedy: http://www.dedy.de/index.php?id=14&L=1

Oh, and here is a great site for $ conversion as the prices from Dedy are in Euro dollars and will need to be converted... http://www.xe.com/ucc/

O F F E R (these are their regular prices not including the 10% discount)

D E D Y P R A L I N E C U T T E R

This cutter is suitable for cutting and deviding marzipan,

jellies and similiar products.

The cutter is carried out in stainless steel.

The standard base is subdivided in 7,5 mm or 5mm.

The base can be fitted on a movable table,

also made of stainless steel.

Accessories: take-off metal sheet, wire, screws, tools

Price :

Standard base 7,5 mm EUR 580,00

Frame 15 mm EUR 280,00

Frame 22,5 mm EUR 240,00

Frame 30 mm EUR 220,00

Frame 37,5 mm EUR 200,00

Standard base 5 mm EUR 710,00

Frame 10 mm EUR 330,00

Frame 15 mm EUR 280,00

Frame 20 mm EUR 257,00

Frame 25 mm EUR 236,00

Frame 30 mm EUR 220,00

Movable table in stainless steel : EUR 490,00

I also contacted dr.ca and they now sell the Dedy - they no longer make their own.

dr.ca price for the Dedy 7.5mm base + 4 frames (includes tools): $CAD 2 795.00 USD$ 2 627.30

Tomric price for the Dedy 7.5mm base + 4 frames (includes tools): USD$ $2,995.00

Editted to add: email me if you are interested...

Edited by mostlylana (log)

b

13 gauge is how many mm?

b

I had hubby measure the wire on mine with his calipers. It's .02 inches (same as .05mm) which apparently is 8 guage.

I'll buy some from you! I broke several strings on my 15mm frame a few weeks ago.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

b

13 gauge is how many mm?

b

I'll buy some from you! I broke several strings on my 15mm frame a few weeks ago.

PM me - I'll send you some.

Interesting thread...

I have 4 varieities of slabbed bon-bons and no guidtar. I cut them with a home made device-- a series of 4" high s/s "pizza wheels" threaded onto a handle with 15/16" spacers between each wheel. This contraption is tossed into an oven and warmed, then rolled over the slab brushed with couverture lengthwise, then crosswise. If I can "steer" the wheel straight, I get pefect 1" squares.

I make Grewling's caramels about once a week. Afer resting overnight, I "score" the slab with the same contraption. To cut, I use an old 12" Henckel's Chef's knife. By using light pressure and lots of back and forth movement, I can get clean slices very quickly with no sticking and no greasing of the knife. It is a bit of work, as I can only cut 3 or 4 pieces at a time, but I don't have any other way of cutting caramels at the moment.

D&R products......

5 mths after I opened up my shop, my "mol D'art melter", umm... melted. I had it on overnight, ans when I came in the morning it stank of burnt chocolate and burnt plastic. This was purchaed from a local supplier who complained tht he had similiar "incidents an he did repalce it for me with a new model. The stench of burnt choc.doesn't go away quickly, and the melter sits in a closet to this day. I finally put my money where my mouth was and bought the full size "bain-marie" style of choc. melter from D & R. Best money I ever spent, no complaints there. After an another year I bought a second, identical melter, and a few months later I bought the panning device from them, as well as some assorted small-wares. No complaints, and am very happy with thier stuff and service. Just before Christmas I bought the wheel attachment for the melter. When I first started it up, it was very loud. I phoned up Montreal, ran the machine on the phone for them to hear, and they right away told me the wheel should not make so much noise. True, I had to pay S & H for the wheel to go back to Montreal, BUT the wheel was brought back to me in Vancouver personally, repaired with the warranty still in full effect, in under a week, by a D & R rep( O.K., family member...) who had combined this with a business/pleasure trip to Vancouver.

So, while I haven't seen or used their guitar, on the whole I have had very good success with their other products and their service. Other than being happy with their products and service I have no affiliations or connections with D & R.

Regards,

Edward

I buy alot from DR.ca Molds, guitar... I brought my melters in directly from Mol d'art. It was cheaper to do so. I might do a special order directly with JKV for molds. If so I will open it up to any other Canadians wanting to order some of their molds or other products.

I've ordered directly from them a couple of times before - takes a while to organize, and sometimes there are delays while you wait for a mold to be made - but overall a very satisfactory experience.

Might want to consider opening it up the the americans on the board, they can't order directly from JVK and the fellow in California who imports for them won't always bring in one or two molds of a particular pattern.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Thanks for the link, Luis. But I think I prefer the more traditional guitar design of the Dedy.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Some info I wanted to pass on. I was told by a rep that Martellato will be opening a branch up in California sometime this year. I've been looking at some of their melters.

http://www.martellato.com/

Luis

Love the look of their little melters that hold 3 different chocolates.

Some info I wanted to pass on. I was told by a rep that Martellato will be opening a branch up in California sometime this year. I've been looking at some of their melters.

http://www.martellato.com/

Luis

Love the look of their little melters that hold 3 different chocolates.

Oh, yeah, I didn't see those before - very slick! Esp. like the one that has 4 bins with individual controls.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

A strange little question--are all the strings on the guitar supposed to play the same "note"? I'm wondering if I have them all tightened about the same and how do I tell?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com