• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guitar cutter: Sourcing, Using, Maintaining

Gary

I'm disappointed to hear that the Design and Realization guitar hasn't worked out.  I wonder if tuning up the wires would help.  Is the wire as heavy as the wire on Tomric one?  Which Tomric guitar have you got - does it have the plastic base?

Mine is a Dedy from Germany - it's the same one that we used in the class with Wybauw.  I had someone in Germany send it to me.  Tomric carries it too.  The plasic based Martenello at Tomric didn't appeal to me, the sample they had showed a chip in the plastic on the side of one of the slots and I could picture the strings getting broken. 

You don't need the double - it really is a very simple matter to turn the slab of ganache or what ever you are cutting. 

Here is a link to a description of how the guitar was used in the class.

I don't have the plastic based one, I have been using the one you have and it's just works very well. The one from DR doesn't cut well because when you go to cut, the wires are almost parallel with the base, so you don't get the vertical angle that allows you to cut firmer pralines. Plus, it looks very cheap and garage made compared to Tomric's and yours. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the one Tomric has is the same as the Savy one as well. I'm sure some people are happy with the one they got from DR, but I just wasn't and I'm very picky about what I spend my money on. Plus, I didn't like how they resolved the issue as well. I don't mean to be negative, but I must voice my dissatisfaction with a product.

Edited by ChristopherMichael (log)

I don't have the plastic based one, I have been using the one you have and it's just works very well. The one from DR doesn't cut well because when you go to cut, the wires are almost parallel with the base, so you don't get the vertical angle that allows you to cut firmer pralines. Plus, it looks very cheap and garage made compared to Tomric's and yours. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the one Tomric has is the same as the Savy one as well. I'm sure some people are happy with the one they got from DR, but I just wasn't and I'm very picky about what I spend my money on. Plus, I didn't like how they resolved the issue as well. I don't mean to be negative, but I must voice my dissatisfaction with a product.

That's good to know. I haven't seen the actual DR guitar in several years, before I was interested in having one. They make their own single now and it's clear from the pictures of their single and double that the designs are different.

Were you able to send the guitar back?

That's good to know. I haven't seen the actual DR guitar in several years, before I was interested in having one. They make their own single now and it's clear from the pictures of their single and double that the designs are different.

Were you able to send the guitar back?

After many calls and emails, they did agree to take it back, but at a loss to me. Just put it this way, I have learned my lesson (and lighter in the wallet) that you should always buy from a well established company like Tomric, JB Price, ChefRubber and so on.. The reason why they're well known and established is because they sell quality products and take care of their customers.

I simply wouldn't skimp on it. I recently was offered a guitar at a pretty good price, but it had a plastic base, and in my opinion it's not worth buying. Yes a quality one will cost more but in the end it's worth it. I'm going the same route as Kerry and will get the best which is the Dedy.

Luis

Luis,

From where are you purchasing the Dedy? Kerry, I believe, had a friend bring it back from Germany.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I simply wouldn't skimp on it. I recently was offered a guitar at a pretty good price, but it had a plastic base, and in my opinion it's not worth buying. Yes a quality one will cost more but in the end it's worth it. I'm going the same route as Kerry and will get the best which is the Dedy.

Luis

Luis,

From where are you purchasing the Dedy? Kerry, I believe, had a friend bring it back from Germany.

Tomric imports them.

Luis

Luis,

tomric imports them. Make sure you call, as they only seem to get 1 at a time. Jbprince may carry it as well, it looks like a Dedy, but when I called to confirm, they couldn't tell me who the manufacture is.

Luis

I've had a plastic base guitar for 4 years and have no complaints. The plastic is strong and rugged. Indeed, the guitar base alone probably weighs 20 pounds. All the plastic pieces are securely aligned with bolts. It is in no way flimsy or cheaply built.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

I've had a plastic base guitar for 4 years and have no complaints. The plastic is strong and rugged. Indeed, the guitar base alone probably weighs 20 pounds. All the plastic pieces are securely aligned with bolts. It is in no way flimsy or cheaply built.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve,

It wasn't the weight or strength of the plastic base that bothered me. They did look nice and substantial. When I went to Tomric and had a look at the Martello (?sp) they had, there were a couple of slices into the plastic right beside the area where the strings would come down into the slots. I was concerned that if this were a frequent problem that the strings would get caught on this piece of plastic and break. I'm sure if this happened you could file the piece off to prevent the strings from getting broken. The other issue I had with the plastic one was that the metal spatula that came with it was much thicker that the one that came with the Dedy - obviously something that could be replaced with a thinner spatula and you'd still be miles ahead on the cost.

• 11 months later...

Does anyone have any current suggestions on buying a guitar candy cutter?

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

The options at Pastry Central and Design & Realization definitely look different - at least, from the pix on the web site.

John DePaula
--------------------

The options at Pastry Central and Design & Realization definitely look different - at least, from the pix on the web site.

And that one was not popular with ChristopherMichael. He said the angles are all wrong.

I received an email confirmation that the Single Guitar cutter, currently being sold by D&R, is in fact a Dedy. I believe this is the same model being sold by Tomric.

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
--------------------

• 3 months later...
Where is a goodsource for purchasing strings? Are they all the same size or do they have to fit the guitar?? I snapped my friend's string and want toget her a few extras... It is a white plasticbase.

Thanks

Here is one source . I've also heard that Design and Realization in Montreal (www.dr.ca) sells replacement wire. Apparently the size you are looking for is around 0.5mm. Buying a spool and cutting your own seems to be the easiest option.

I don't know if when purchasing from Isreal it's easier (cheaper/more convenient) to get things from europe - but vantage house also sells replacement wire. Here is a link.

Where is a goodsource for purchasing strings? Are they all the same size or do they have to fit the guitar?? I snapped my friend's string and want toget her a few extras... It is a white plasticbase.

Thanks

Here is one source . I've also heard that Design and Realization in Montreal (www.dr.ca) sells replacement wire. Apparently the size you are looking for is around 0.5mm. Buying a spool and cutting your own seems to be the easiest option.

I don't know if when purchasing from Isreal it's easier (cheaper/more convenient) to get things from europe - but vantage house also sells replacement wire. Here is a link.

I have had success with piano wire. I think I have used 13 gauge in the past.

b

In addition to piano wire, you might also look into braided stainless steel fishing leader.

Some friends use it for stringing necklaces and it would be interesting to see if you could find the right guage for guitar cutter use. It comes in coated and uncoated form. You can do a google search on "stainless steel wire fishing leader".