• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

22 West

charlotte baker

Has anyone been to 22 West in Union yet? If so, what did you think of it?

yes,

I went on Thursday night with a group of about 15 and had a private room behind the bar. Had some nice HDs including a lovely Foie Gras dish. Dinner was prix fixe and no choices but all was prepared nicely. Did not see the wine list as we had brought our own from one the wineries we represent. I know they have a well rounded list from all I have heard. The space is quite attarctive although I think it might get loud due to the high ceilings and not much accoustic cushioning. I would go back.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Has anyone been to 22 West in Union yet? If so, what did you think of it?

yes,

I went on Thursday night with a group of about 15 and had a private room behind the bar. Had some nice HDs including a lovely Foie Gras dish. Dinner was prix fixe and no choices but all was prepared nicely. Did not see the wine list as we had brought our own from one the wineries we represent. I know they have a well rounded list from all I have heard. The space is quite attarctive although I think it might get loud due to the high ceilings and not much accoustic cushioning. I would go back.

Phil

We went for lunch last week. Good black angus burger, good fish and chips with celeriac slaw. Lunch for two, no booze, was about $40. The place is attractive and I agree about the acoustics. We were the only diners at lunch. The kitchen is open, the chefs were talking with some visitors and the noise was distracting. And we were sitting at the farthest possible point from the kitchen. I would , however, definitely go back. I looked at the dinner menu and the prices ranged from $30 to $50.

Edited by charlotte baker (log)

• 5 months later...

I haven't been to this restaurant in Union, NJ, but I'm curious about it because I know one of the chefs just left, even though the place has been open for less than a year. He's very vague about why.

Does anyone know the scoop on this place?

(yes, I'm being nosy, but I just want a little backgound on this guy.)

One chef to replace two chefs???

We had dinner at 22 West in March. Anthony came by our table to chat. He was extremely personable and was very interested to hear our opinions about the food. 22 West has an open kitchen so, on the way out, we stopped to say good-bye to Anthony, and he introduced us to Co-Executive Chef Nathanial Eckhaus. We knew they had worked together at Eleven Madison Park and both seemed very excited about working together again on this new venture. Maybe the owners didn't feel that the Co-Exec. set-up was working to their satisfaction and preferred to have a single Exec. Chef. So, maybe Anthony and Nathanial decided they'd both leave and do another project together rather than have one of them remain behind. Just guessing....

Anthony has just started working as an instructor at the Natural Gourmet Cookery School in Manhattan. I don't know what Nathaniel is doing.

I was just wondering whether it's unusual for the executive chef(s) to bail on a new venture within the first year. Especially since in this case, they seemed pretty excited about 22 West.

Anthony has just started working as an instructor at the Natural Gourmet Cookery School in Manhattan. I don't know what Nathaniel is doing.

I was just wondering whether it's unusual for the executive chef(s) to bail on a new venture within the first year. Especially since in this case, they seemed pretty excited about 22 West.

Its the restaurant business and anything can happen.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone eaten there since they left and how was the food?

I was wondering about that, too. Others are either waiting for a glowing review or are repulsed by Route 22 traffic. Meanwhile, better known and more consistent restaurants like Chez Catherine, Fascino, David Drake, Epernay, La Griglia, Scalini Fedeli, and Daimatsu are a mere 15 minutes away from 22 West.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891