• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pho Hong - What was it before?

Vancouver

I had dinner last night at Pho Hong on Kingsway in Burnaby (a bit east of metrotown). The salad rolls were large, fresh, with nice shrimp and crispy veggies. The Pho itself had an excellent broth, and generous amounts of beef flank and tendon as well as generous amounts of basil, bean sprouts, chilis, and lemon (I prefer lime myself, but that is just personal preference). Yummy overall. The one thing that intrigued me about the place is that it seems to have been an Italian restaurant that was converted to a Pho place? It still has remnants of an Italian flag below the sign outside, fake wine barrels with fake grapes on the walls, ads for capucino ice cream under the glass on the table, etc. What was it before? Anyone know?

Cheers!

Is this the place that was originally "Italian Pho"? I have heard of a place on Kingsway that bastardized the sign to read this. If it is it's the holly grail of Pho joints for my two teenage sons.

I believe you're absolutely right, Coop. Before that I'm pretty sure it was "Friend or Pho?"

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

The Italian Pho story was like an urban myth in our family. If it actually exists we will have to eat there, have our pictures taken, and buy T shirts.

It definitely has the remnants of an Italian flag under the sign on the right hand side of the building. Perhaps picture worthy.

I just looked up the address, and it is officially listed as 5975 McBride Blvd, but is actually on Kingsway.

Cheers!

The Italian Pho story was like an urban myth in our family. If it actually exists we will have to eat there, have our pictures taken, and buy T shirts.

Quite a mystery, Coop. Maybe Edgar Allan Pho?

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"